Recap Ideas
Share ideas for future product features directly with the Recap team and collaborate on existing suggestions with your peers.
New Idea

I've made some scans on day one and used auto and manual registration on them in the evening. In the evening of day two I want to add the new scans I made that day, but it'll break the whole registration of the previous day if I want to use auto registration. It would be great if the scan groups that already exist in the point cloud would remain intact.

This will also solve the following problem:

I have a point cloud of +50 scans but 1 of them is wrongly registrated. If I want to edit only that scan, it'll break the whole scan group of +15 scans. After that I can correct the scan, but only manually. The worst thing is that its not possible to use auto registration at that point reconnect then. I need to registrate the whole point cloud from the start and try not to make a mistake again. It would be great if the scans will remember their position except the scans you'll remove from the group.

Since one has much data in the project (216 registered scans) it would be very useful to interrupt the loading process. It can be very cumbersome and in my case I had to wait for 30 minutes to get the project back into operation modus. I just wanted to add some control points for georeferencing, so I did not need the displayed data. Escape does not work. An explicit button or functionality to interrupt the loading process would be great!! 

0 Kudos

Control Over merged projects

by Participant ignusFGWZ6 on ‎04-24-2017 02:00 PM

It would be nice if you merged a project, that you have more control over the merged projects. Like to switch on or off one of the merged projects, or to remove a project from a merged project instead of removing the scans one by one. 

0 Kudos

During the manual registration process when up to three common points have to be measured it would be nice to have the actual scan graphically better represented. Especially when you have a long list of scans in your scan group it would be much easier to see what scan is actually active within the long list. Actualy it is marked with a grey small circle. Better would be a red one with a better contrast! (See picture)

Multi selection of item in the Project Navigator is really missing. Please add this option, it would be very usefull specially when creating grou of scan location. I have a project with over 500 scans which I have to group under some sectors. For now I have to move each scan location one by one to place them under it's group. That's a real pain.

0 Kudos

Remove unused scan locations.

by Community Visitor philippe.groarke on ‎04-20-2017 10:18 AM - last edited on ‎04-20-2017 10:45 AM |

It would be nice to have an automatic process to remove all un-referenced scan locations.

User Story :

Project is too big for cloud processing.

Using selection tool, delete certain cloud areas and resize bounding box.

Click a button to remove irrelevant/unreferenced scan locations auto-magically.

0 Kudos

It would be great - scratch that - It is essential to be able to view the side by side registration images in intensity colours not just RGB.

Currently if you toggle between RGB and Intensity, Recap changes the RGB imagery to a greyscale version of the RGB picture!!!! Not the intensity view that the scanner captures.

Seeing as Recap must use the intensity points in the background to find the checkerboards and spheres, why can't we also see it.

The intensity view is important as most scanners record the 3D points and intensity first then take the colour imagery to colour the cloud, between this this can change for example measuring on a busy street.  When picking checkerboards and spheres in RGB (or even the greyscale version of RGB) just because you can see the checkerboard does not mean that the checkerboard was not obscured during initial measurement. 

This is a fairly fundamental issue that needs rectifying.

0 Kudos

Additional selection tools

by Contributor AWeirBAM on ‎04-20-2017 02:47 AM

So far the only selection tools that appear in recap, to my knowledge are:

Fence

Window

Plane

The only issue is these don't always help to quickly differentiate between different features within a scan (cars, trees, buildings, etc.).

It would be useful if there was a way to box select items and hide, save as a scan region or delete. Also if the selection tool snapped to points and essentially created a bounding box that would be really useful. 

The only other way i thought it may be possible would be to define points via elevation range or features such as RGB colour to group the points and manipulate as you would desire. The range feature exists in Civil 3D but it would be equally useful in Recap, i believe. 

0 Kudos

As business grows and the need to introduce multiple scanning devices to projects the need to manually order the sequence of scans to optimize the Auto Registration process has become clear. Using  Faro scanners we can only set the base file name and beginning number to differentiate the scan names between devices leading use to have multiple distinct sequenced sets, i.e. 1-120, 500-620... Ideally Faro would implement a feature to begin at scan x and increment by y enabling an interlacing of as many devices as you want to scan in sequential number. Autodesk could eliminate this need if users were able to re-order the scans as scans are being imported thus helping the Auto Registration algorithm to process scans in a preferred order and minimize disconnected groups. 

0 Kudos

As business grows and the need to introduce multiple scanning devices to projects the need to manually order the sequence of scans to optimize the Auto Registration process has become clear. Using  Faro scanners we can only set the base file name and beginning number to differentiate the scan names between devices leading use to have multiple distinct sequenced sets, i.e. 1-120, 500-620... Ideally Faro would implement a feature to begin at scan x and increment by y enabling an interlacing of as many devices as you want to scan in sequential number. Autodesk could eliminate this need if users were able to re-order the scans as scans are being imported thus helping the Auto Registration algorithm to process scans in a preferred order and minimize disconnected groups. 

Export to LAS

by Advocate baumbach on ‎04-13-2017 05:08 PM

Include the option to export to LAS files, retaining lat/lon/elev data.

Currently trying to find a low-effort workflow for generating a Revit toposurface from ReCap Photo-to-3D data. I have a license for Globalmapper which has some very slick tools for filtering out points that don't represent ground, and then generating 3D contours from the resulting subset, but Globalmapper is happiest with georeferenced LAS files.

If ReCap could export LAS this workflow would be complete.

0 Kudos

Currently in V4, we don't have the ability to upload the RealView elevation slices that were created on the desktop version.  This means that we have to create a recap project for each level, and upload separate projects.  This may be more of a bug than an idea.  

jw

Moving scans by using coordinates

by Employee on ‎04-09-2017 08:09 AM

In some cases I load 2 scans together and like to move ons scan away from its origin to a new position. I can change origin in ReCap, but I need scan points to define the axis. I like to change by xyz coordinates (relative to the coordinate system).

This will be useful, when I have scans from the same environment but only with an small overlap. So I can orientate one of the scan to a new position.

Regards

Frank 

0 Kudos

Export truview as texture..

by Explorer gobrest on ‎04-08-2017 06:34 AM

It would be great if you could apply the panorama as a texture to the model in truview.  Since you can do measurements etc in trueview, and import cad models from navisworks etc, the hard part is done already.  So to be able to use the panorama as a texture would be awesome

Export in Feet... Please!

by Contributor ewbFJ62P on ‎04-06-2017 05:38 AM

It seems that the transformation applied in civil 3d to a point cloud from recap applies a scale factor of only 3.2808.  This is fine with a local 5000,5000 coordinate system, but if my project is in the millions of feet, the scaling is not correct.  solution is simple...  Export in Feet!  Please!

Extract ground

by Participant sarunasband on ‎04-05-2017 05:06 PM

The ability to automatically extract ground surface.

Would be great to easily find what is the lowest and highest point of the point cloud.

I've Imported a point cloud in Revit but it seams that the whole scan is a bit rotated on the Y-axis (See the first screenshot). I can fix this in Revit, but I want to fix it in Recap because I want to align the objects when I import an NWD of the Revit file into Recap 360-pictures. Also I don't want that our clients have to struggle with the point clouds positioning when I sent them a scan.

Recap Z-axis_2.JPG

In Recap I can only update the direction of the X-Axis. Most of the time I would like to update the direction of the Y-Axis. In this case I would also like to update the direction of the Z-Axis. It says I can update its direction but it doesn't seem to work. I've tried aligned the floor with the ceiling on multiple positions and levels but the grid doesn't change. also the result in Revit doesn't change.

Recap Z-axis_1.jpg

it would be great to update the direction of the Y-Axis instead of the X-Axis and also the Z-Axis

Registration Tightening

by Advocate jared.white on ‎04-03-2017 09:29 AM

Hello, 

I am working through a registration issue now, that is very large (over 2000 scans).  It appears that recap will only allow you to merge / constrain a single scan to one other single scan.  What we notice is that there is a lot of stack up error from one side of the project to the other.  Cyclone has a feature that is ran once scans are linked one by one that is called 'auto add cloud constraints'.  What this does is look at all overlap between the registered scans, and creates a constraint between anything that overlaps.  This tightens up the error dramatically with large projects.  It would be great if Recap would do the same thing.  

JW

It would be great to have a way to align the scan data during registration to a NWD model. This way the 0,0,0 of the scan data can match the NWD without the need to transform it in Navisworks.

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

Submit an idea
Idea Guidelines

Please review our Idea guidelines and best practices before posting a new idea, or voting on an existing one!

For more info about ReCap visit the ReCap product page