Recap Ideas
Share ideas for future product features directly with the Recap team and collaborate on existing suggestions with your peers.
New Idea

Import annotations and details from file

by Employee on ‎04-06-2015 12:07 PM

You can manually create annotations inside of ReCap but it would be nice to be able to import/bulk load many annotations and their details at once from an external file (.txt, .xls, etc.). The external file would need to include the XYZ and annotation title at a minimum, but it would be nice to be able to include the details/pictures/links that are associated with the annotation asl well.

These files could come from surveyors, 3D CAD models, etc.

Added in 2.1.

Set Default Project Units

by Contributor martuccijm on ‎11-11-2016 04:57 PM

Whenever I go to use the measure tool in Recap I have to switch it from metric to feet & inches. If there was a way to set default project units that would be great.

Hi All,

The same units can be used and should appear on saved projects.

ReCap will go back to metrics whenever you start a new project.

Mitko 

Convert Scans to Mesh or surface

by Enthusiast freedom1k on ‎04-06-2015 06:27 AM

It would be great to add a PointCloud to Mesh feature to ReCaP, for isolated scanned objects. There is a competitor's tool that can do this, and the Autodesk's Civil 3D Convert Pointcloud to Surface tool is great for large Topo areas. Sure Momento may have promise in the future, but a Point Cloud or Laser Scan conversion tool belongs in ReCAP.

This was released as a beta service in March.

When creating a dimension using Ortho Mode, a dotted line shows a connection between the dimension and the dimensioned point. After the dimension is created, this line is no longer seen and there is a lack of information about where the dimension was taken. When a dimension has been created using Ortho Mode, a green extension line should remain on the dimension to show the point to which the dimension was taken.

Dimension During Placement

Dimension After Pacement

Dimension Should Show Extension Line

Scan Groups During Registration

by Participant Stephen.Brechin.01 on ‎11-29-2016 01:16 AM

I would like to see an additional level of hierarchy during registration.  Would it be possible to retain (or create) scan groups as we go through the registration process?  In its simplest form I envisage that, if I had 3 registration groups and I merge two of those, the left side of the registration window would now show two groups.  Doing this would make it much easier to match the outstanding scans to those already registered.

permanent deletion of of point clouds

by Enthusiast bashar_dawood on ‎08-24-2016 07:27 AM

is it possible to permanently delete points in recap. when i delete points and save and optimize, everything looks good until i open the file in navisworks and everything shows up again, can someone help me with that please 

This has been implemented in the ReCap engine and will be available in each product based in its individual schedule.  Should be no later than the next major release (2018) for each, possibly earlier.

For workarounds, see the comment thread or the ReCap community forum.

Can't Export RCS

by Explorer derek.slabosz on ‎11-21-2016 10:56 AM

I get an error that a software problem has caused Recap to close unexpectedly. It then states I need to update my graphics card drivers, what gives??

View States Subfolders

by Collaborator John.DeLeeuw on ‎09-09-2016 03:36 AM

Can you add View States Subfolders?

This would be handy to arrange certain viewstates for animation in different parts of the whole scan.

Thank you for submitting your idea @John.DeLeeuw!
The request has been reviewed and we are happy to inform you all that the same has been implemented.

You may start using this feature today by downloading the latest ReCap version from our product page.

Thank you again for using the Autodesk products and please continue to send us your requirements that will be of your benefit!

Sincerely, 

The Autodesk ReCap Team

Registration

by Participant EcoJim on ‎09-21-2016 03:36 PM

It would be helpful if we could choose a scan that will be the base for registrations. Similar to Reference scan in Faro scene or Home Scan world Leica Cyclone.

Import .dwg models into ReCap

by Enthusiast jasper.paulusma on ‎03-22-2016 01:48 AM

Could it be possible to import a .DWG model into ReCap, also to see in the Realview mode. This would improve routing pipe using plant 3D greatly. The AutoCAD software is nice to route in in parallel view but you cannot see the collisions well. A second screen in Perspective view with the model in it would be useful. I use Navisworks now to check for collisions in the point cloud. However ReCap is working much smoother and easier with the possibility for Realview.

Greetings Jasper.

Hi All,

We are happy to inform you that the requested idea has been reviewed and that the same has been implemented in the latest product release.

You may start using this feature today by downloading the this ReCap version from our product page.

More about all the updates can be found here.

Thank you again for using the Autodesk products and please continue to send us your requirements that will be of your benefit!

Sincerely, 

The Autodesk ReCap Team

Recap import Topcon CLR files

by Participant mark.mcnaught on ‎10-05-2016 06:34 PM - last edited on ‎10-05-2016 06:37 PM |

Hello, 

Can I please have an ETA on a fix for CLR files direct import? I work for authorized Topcon dealer in Canada. I know of the product release for ReCap functioning with direct import of CLR files, which are files directly off the scanner SD card (hence bypassing Topcon Scanmaster software for coloring scans). Topcon put out a release note saying it was now functional in Recap, months ago. I tested it that very same day and it didnt work, there was no way to import SEVERAL scans at once, as Recap sees them all as the same name. 

I've noted this to Topcon a couple of months ago, at which time I was told Autodesk is aware of the problem, and the next release would have a better workflow for importing many scans at once in CLR format. It was noted that this release might be expected in October. 

I have a very big demo opportunity in 2 weeks where I want to show off the Recap workflow for a customer that wants to bring scans into Revit, but as it stands I have to import and color them in Scanmaster, then into Recap, and it just isnt a very good workflow. 

Any update on a fix? I've just signed up for a paid version of Recap Pro, but without this function it's not really worth it if I have to use Scanmaster anyway. 

Thanks!

Mark

Dear Autodesk and colleagues,

Recap and 123D (design, make, print, catch, make, mesh, etc.) are all very potential applications. Applications where further development is definitely possible. Applications that make use of a similar environment and workflows.

All these programs got some features, but what if you can create one program (Recap 4.0) that has the option to switch between these disciplines? More collaboration, better work environment, faster working, and more.

The power over other Autodesk products, for example Revit, is that you can use the program for more than one discipline. Imagine that you integrate the 123D applications into Recap, so the customer can choose their discipline just like you do in Revit and other Autodesk products.

Imagine you can 3D scan a building (or object), both with pictures as with a 3D scanner, upload it in Recap (4.0), optimize, outline, add component, reshape, make groups, directly make an export for either Autodesk products or a 3D printer and many more!

This idea generates a lot of possibility's, time savings and licensing benefits for both Autodesk as resellers. Of course, the 123D applications are free at this moment, make use of this! You can make a program (Recap 4.0) where only the features from 123D and some from Recap are free to use, let them taste the possibility's and make more money that way. Win-win.

Vote for this idea and everybody wins!

Thank you for submitting your idea @Jreij!
The request has been reviewed and we are happy to inform you that Autodesk will make the necessery actions to merge some of the best functinalities from similar products and provide a more cohesive experiance.

You can see the initial start of this initiative on this page, and you can expect a more integrated experiance from ReCap when it comes to utulizing Reality Capture technologies. 

Sincerely, 

The Autodesk ReCap Team

Keep Viewstate names turned on

by Participant Alex.Johnson on ‎02-09-2016 09:55 AM

Is there a way that we can keep the viewstate names turned on in the Project Navigator when the over all map is hiden.

Hi @Alex.Johnson,

Thank you for submitting your idea!
It seems like that your request has been reviewed and we are happy to inform you that the same has been implemented.

You may start using this feature today by downloading the latest ReCap version from our product page.

More about on the latest updates can be found here.

Sincerely, 

The Autodesk ReCap Team

Hi,

My Idea is:

I have 250 Photos and 5 Control Points.

Control point # 1 is to apply to the photos  138-139-140-141-159-160-161-162-168-169-170-171

Control point # 2 to photos 284-285-286-293-294-295-296-323-324-325-332-333-334

Control point # 3 to photos 188-189-190-209-210-211-223-224-225

Control point # 4 to photos 147-148-151-152-153-177-178-179-185-186-187-188

Control point # 5 to photos 179-180-181-182-183-184-185-213-214-215-216-217-218-219-220-221

Identify those photos to apply the control points is very difficult

Thanks

Hi @gustavo.bergoya,

When adding survey points to the images you only need to add the coordinates to 3 images and the service will take care of the rest.

We'll take it into account to make this description more prominent in the future. 

Thank you again for using the Autodesk products and please continue to send us your requirements that will be of benefit to you!

Sincerely, 

The Autodesk ReCap Team

Manual point placement management

by Contributor SteveBennettMN on ‎08-14-2015 12:11 PM

I would like a way to manage manually placed points. After placing points manually, I may want to delete the same numbered point in all images at once. Or, delete all points in one image. Or, delete all points in the project. A page that lists all points and the photos they are placed in would be great. Even better would be the ability to see all the images overlaid on the model along with their stitching points.

Hi @SteveBennettMN,

Thank you for submitting your idea with us!
The request has been reviewed and we are happy to inform you that the same has been implemented!

You may start using this feature today by going to http://recap360@autodesk.com.

When removing manually added points you can now select if you want to remove it only on the single picture or on the entire project.

Thank you again for using the Autodesk products and please continue to send us your requirements that will be of benefit to you!

Sincerely, 

The Autodesk ReCap Team

Export view as image

by Enthusiast ZoltanFerenczy on ‎04-19-2015 05:57 AM

In typical workflows, ReCap is used to communicate information about a space to other members of the team. This is often done my emailing them screen captures of the point cloud inside of ReCap. It would be of great utility to be able to export the current view or a saved View State as an image and be able to specify the resolution. This would also allow for the creation of scaled orthoimages. The user interface could be achieved by right-clicking on a saved View State and choosing a “Export to Image” option.

Hi @ZoltanFerenczy,

The new ReCap 360 Pro is out and we are happy to inform you that many of the submitted request here on IdeaStation have been implemented including yours.

More about on the latest updates can be found here.

Sincerely, 

The Autodesk ReCap Team

The Pipe Snap feature allows for the extraction of a cylindrical shape to facilitate dimensioning to the center or quadrant points on a pipe. The Pipe Snap should also allow the radius and diameter of the pipe to be dimensioned.

The request has been reviewed and we are happy to inform you that the same has been implemented!

The Autodesk ReCap Team

Yesterday, while testing the new Autoregistration, I found that my test project had a corrupted scan. Recap did not realize this, apparently, and just continued to try and import it. It ran for 22 hours before I stopped it and restarted without the bad file. Surely there has to be a way for ReCap to say hey you have a bad file, please remove and try again. It can't just run infinitely. In the attached pic, time left to go hit 0 at approximately 130 minutes elapsed time.

It would be nice to be able to multi-select scan locations to turn then on/off. For example, maybe I only want to see 1 scan in a 100 scan job. At the moment I have to individually turn off each of the 99 other scans by selecting "eye icon". This is very cumbersome. It would also be nice to be able to turn all scans off and then just turn on the ones I want to see, either individually or by multi-selecting and then turning them on.

Hi @cody.austin,

You can also create scan groups and toggle on/off those groups at once.

Mitko

Registration - Intensity View

by Advocate kgrover on ‎04-03-2015 01:34 PM

Having the ability to toggle between intensity (grey scale and colored) and RGB during the registration stage would be excellent. 

There are times when the RGB imagery is overexposed or underexposed due to poor lighting, making it impossible to pick points for registration. The intensity view always works, so it would be great to have this option. 

Kevin

Great news! This is now available with the new ReCap 2.2 release. More details can be seen in this article. Thank you again for providing us your input!!!

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

Submit an idea
Idea Guidelines

Please review our Idea guidelines and best practices before posting a new idea, or voting on an existing one!

For more info about ReCap visit the ReCap product page