Recap Ideas
Share ideas for future product features directly with the Recap team and collaborate on existing suggestions with your peers.
New Idea

Until there is a way for Recap 360 to prove it is accurate it will remain a novelty.   What we need is one a better way to add and assign GCPs (Ground Control Points) to Recap .  Two we need an official Report that can be created to show the errors for each GSP.  We need to see just how close to our ground targets the final product really is.

Have a look at what others are providing and include something similar.   Before we waste out time of exporting and importing into Recap then into Civil 3D (or whatever) we need to know if what we are about to import is accurate enough for our needs.   As of right now this is not being done and until then any data from Recap 360 or Recap is just conceptual in nature as is about about as valuable as the old Google Earth surfaces we were able to import back in 2012.

Sure the final model sure looks pretty, but if it isn't accurate what good is it?  Proofs in the Pudding!  

Bill Neuhauser.

3D Photographs to Model Ability to Embed PDF's

by Advocate bd5cents on ‎12-30-2015 09:29 AM

It would be immensely beneficial for us to be able to tag the model, attach specification data, submittal data, warranty information, and hyperlinks to the 3D model that is generated, and then to be able to send that data to an interface that allows our customers, service department, and others to view the attached information. Without the need for ReCap. I'm thinking through A360 Team!

Attached is our current workflow, and from there you can see why it would be beneficial. We currently use A360 Collaboration for Revit to push this information out to our contractors. It would help a lot to get the software to allow for this capability. It would streamline our deliverable process and make us more efficient as well.

http://therevitsaver.blogspot.com/2015/12/autodesk-memento-cellphone.html

The ability to host this data in the cloud through A360 would allow us to provide a customer deliverable that is easy and functional!

Dear Autodesk and colleagues,

Recap and 123D (design, make, print, catch, make, mesh, etc.) are all very potential applications. Applications where further development is definitely possible. Applications that make use of a similar environment and workflows.

All these programs got some features, but what if you can create one program (Recap 4.0) that has the option to switch between these disciplines? More collaboration, better work environment, faster working, and more.

The power over other Autodesk products, for example Revit, is that you can use the program for more than one discipline. Imagine that you integrate the 123D applications into Recap, so the customer can choose their discipline just like you do in Revit and other Autodesk products.

Imagine you can 3D scan a building (or object), both with pictures as with a 3D scanner, upload it in Recap (4.0), optimize, outline, add component, reshape, make groups, directly make an export for either Autodesk products or a 3D printer and many more!

This idea generates a lot of possibility's, time savings and licensing benefits for both Autodesk as resellers. Of course, the 123D applications are free at this moment, make use of this! You can make a program (Recap 4.0) where only the features from 123D and some from Recap are free to use, let them taste the possibility's and make more money that way. Win-win.

Vote for this idea and everybody wins!

Thank you for submitting your idea @Jreij!
The request has been reviewed and we are happy to inform you that Autodesk will make the necessery actions to merge some of the best functinalities from similar products and provide a more cohesive experiance.

You can see the initial start of this initiative on this page, and you can expect a more integrated experiance from ReCap when it comes to utulizing Reality Capture technologies. 

Thank you again for using the Autodesk products and please continue to send us your requirements that will be of your benefit!

Sincerely, 

The Autodesk ReCap Team

Hi,

My Idea is:

I have 250 Photos and 5 Control Points.

Control point # 1 is to apply to the photos  138-139-140-141-159-160-161-162-168-169-170-171

Control point # 2 to photos 284-285-286-293-294-295-296-323-324-325-332-333-334

Control point # 3 to photos 188-189-190-209-210-211-223-224-225

Control point # 4 to photos 147-148-151-152-153-177-178-179-185-186-187-188

Control point # 5 to photos 179-180-181-182-183-184-185-213-214-215-216-217-218-219-220-221

Identify those photos to apply the control points is very difficult

Thanks

Hi @gustavo.bergoya,

Thank you for submitting your idea!

When adding survey points to the images you only need to add the coordinates to 3 images and the service will take care of the rest.

We'll take it into account to make this description more prominent in the future. 

Thank you again for using the Autodesk products and please continue to send us your requirements that will be of benefit to you!

Sincerely, 

The Autodesk ReCap Team

I would like you to add a feature in which it would be able to remove ambiant lighting, shadows and reflections in the scans while keeping their reflectance propreties. With this feature, we could:

1- Merge more uniformly several scans together.

2- We could do glare analysis from a viewpoint in the point cloud.

Photo Registry Matched Points

by Advocate solson on ‎07-22-2015 05:32 AM

When clicking on points, you will see a note “Matched in 4 Photos”, it would be nice to have a way to see those 4 photos together.  Either on screen at the same time or in a “flip book window” that will allow the user to toggle through just those 4 photos to make sure the points are indeed the same.

Local creation

by Advocate on ‎07-10-2016 05:02 AM

Having to upload photos to ReCap 360 and then download is a real pain when you have low or / and intermittent bandwidth.

I love ReCap for working when using my Faro 330x - it's the easiest software to use and produces great results. But this uploading when working with photo's is restricting and so I'm using Pix4D for this type of work.

Will we be able to process photo's to point clouds via ReCap locally?

It's the same type of issue as with Autodesk Live which is the real-time rendering working with Revit. Why must I upload a 400MB model, then it gets processed and then I need to download the model back to Live (plus now it's larger in size) - only to find out that I need to make changes and run the process all over again. Far easier to use solutions like Twinmotion and Lumion. There needs to be an option ADSK local (and I just let my machine work, or via cloud and you process faster and I choose to pay cloud credits)

Both great solutions, don't get me wrong - but I need a local option and so do many countries in Africa and other less developed regions when it comes to internet speeds.

Would it be possible to get ReCap Pro (scan to mesh, cleanup etc), Photo to 3D and Real View cloud services get added to Autodesk's Health Dashboard at health.autodesk.com? Or some other health status somewhere so we know when the services are having issues or planned maintenance.

Import Panaramic Views from Images

by Enthusiast ZoltanFerenczy on ‎05-18-2016 08:18 AM

It would be of some use and value to be able to import additional panaramic views (shown as mirror balls) into a project by specifying a spherical or cylindrical image and its XYZ location and orientation. This would allow for additional mirror balls to be created for panaramic views captured with other systems, such as the IStar camera. These panaramic views would not allow measuring, but would allow annotations and mark-ups.

[This is a cross posting from the a360 idea station]

i have folders from using SiteScan (3DR) and they include a zip file for certain recap created types. Currently, if i browse to the a360 drive, i cannot extract

that zip file in that location.

I have 2 choices, either copy that zip to my desktop (or other local location), extract and then copy back the extracted files OR browse to the physical location of the a360 files (C:\Users\Kevin.Spear\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Autodesk Sync\Cloud\...) and exctract it there.

So, i would like to extract ZIP files in a360 where they live.

Secondarily, it would be great if Recap didn't deliver the results as ZIP files though.

Thanks

Kevin

scale and coordinate system adjustments

by Advocate jared.white on ‎10-11-2016 06:56 AM

When using recap to process photos into a point cloud, it does not create the model with an accurate scale or coordinate system.  If there is metadata with the jpeg, it seems to get the scale close, but ordinary pictures do not have altitude info with them.  Recap doesn't appear to have any way of changing this either.  If 2 known points were in the images, we should be able to create a distance, and then scale the point cloud to the known distance between the two points.  I think you should also be able to change the xyz axis orientation.  You could select 3 points as a plane, and set the z to the normal of the plane, and then select one point for the origin, and then one more point to rotate to.  All of these points should be adjustable numerically as well. 

Need TIFF World Files

by Contributor brianlee on ‎09-30-2016 10:49 AM

When exporting TIFF ortho-images (nadir, zenithal, orthomosaics), I would like to also get a .TFW (TIFF world file) included in the outputted files for Civil 3D imports.

Eyesmap support

by Enthusiast bashar_dawood on ‎09-02-2016 08:15 PM

currently there is no support for Eyesmap files (.PLY) can you guys support this file extension

Reflectance

by Explorer patineusegirl on ‎05-17-2016 03:55 PM

I would like to be able to find the reflectance of my surface from the intensity data captured by a laser scanner.

Ayuda servicios de nube

by Participant felix.salgado on ‎01-27-2017 10:49 AM

Buenas tardes

tengo problemas al inicia con el procesamiento en servicios de nube desde recap 360 ( Malla de objetos y limpieza de objetos ), que hacer para desbloquear la opción, estos datos son obtenidos desde drone si la opcion se bloqua por este tipo de captura de realidad, la idea es que se desbloque para cualquier captura de realidad ya sea drone o laser scanner 

Limpieza RECAP.JPG

It would be helpful to be able to see the file name of the current image while adding registration points. (refer attached image as an example) This would make it easier to scroll though looking for images of the same location as you can then just go by the file names, especially for sites where there is not obvious features to go by in the images. I find I quite often have to go out (click choose a different image) to check the file name and then go back into the image.

ReCap_Photo_Name.JPG

I don't know if there are already laser scanners with 2 camera's for 3D panorama's, but I know the technology to create fake 3D panorama's exist from 1 panorama. It would be great to have this technology also in Recap for the RealViews. Especially when its shared to Recap 360.

These fake 3D RealViews could even be more accurate than Googles 'Cardboard camera' app, because Recap also has LIDAR data. At least there should be an Oculus/Vive/Cardboard connection for the 2D RealViews in 'the year of VR' at first by default.

Hi:

Is that possible that recap 360 use two image sets to get a 3D model ? like Agisoft photoscan does.

one image set with projection is used to render the 3D mesh,another one set is used to generate the texture.it's real help when we want to scan something or someone in black white one-colored or something that shines.At first we turn on the projection and get extra "noise" on a subject,then it's easy to scan things that have little or no texture, like black leather to get the 3D mesh .then we turn off the projection and finish the normal scanning.

Link to SQL or other database

by Explorer chris.conroy on ‎02-20-2017 01:46 AM

It would be useful to link a Recap 360 project to SQL or other type of database.

I know this is possible with Revit and I appreciate that Revit is an object based model, however what I was wondering is, if Recap 360 could be linked to a database and the user cold define a volume or 3D space within a cloud project, then cold this be linked to a database?

Or if the user creates mark-ups in the Recap project, highlighting areas, marking dimensions, adding notes, images etc. then could this be linked with a database?

After trying the pro version of Recap and then speaking with Autodesk support, it appears that Recap cannot align unstructured point clouds on their own...rather, there needs to be at least one structured scan in the project. I'm not a software engineer, but it puzzles me why unstructured data could automatically (or with manual assistance) be aligned to structured data but not to other unstructured point clouds. I'd love to see this capability added. 

Our current workflow is for scanning trees and surrounding exterior natural environments for treehouse designers & builders, bringing a level of accuracy far beyond their typical process and allowing them to design confidently in CAD. We started with a combination of 123D Catch (for proper alignment and scaling) and Agisoft Photoscan (for very detailed point clouds and meshes that could process locally on a machine in a few hours). The resulting redundant data sets had to be aligned manually in 3ds max then output as an obj mesh file for SketchUp or DWG for Autocad/Revit. Results were spotty, and meshes were hard to deal with. We'd like to transition to only using point clouds in all Autodesk tools...Recap, Revit, & 3ds max. Currently I can get close with Recap photo if I have one scan for the entire site (though often we have more and need to align them)...I can manually create survey points with reference distances, but proper vertical orientation is still unattainable directly in Recap (but was easy in 123D Catch). We'd love to see a solid photogrammetry workflow possible in Recap!

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

Submit an idea
Idea Guidelines

Please review our Idea guidelines and best practices before posting a new idea, or voting on an existing one!

Labels

For more info about ReCap visit the ReCap product page