Recap Ideas
Share ideas for future product features directly with the Recap team and collaborate on existing suggestions with your peers.
New Idea

permanent deletion of of point clouds

by Enthusiast bashar_dawood on ‎08-24-2016 07:27 AM

is it possible to permanently delete points in recap. when i delete points and save and optimize, everything looks good until i open the file in navisworks and everything shows up again, can someone help me with that please 

This has been implemented in the ReCap engine and will be available in each product based in its individual schedule.  Should be no later than the next major release (2018) for each, possibly earlier.

For workarounds, see the comment thread or the ReCap community forum.

Improve Elevation Color Manipulation

by Advocate jared.white on ‎06-24-2016 06:23 AM

I have a very difficult time adjusting color scales for elevation color mapping.  It seems that ReCap is very clunky in this area, and should make this more user friendly.  

Slower Speed for FLY Navigation

by Observer aalbertelli on ‎12-23-2016 12:28 PM

The "fly" navigation tool is great for showing a walkthrough of a space. However, in small rooms or spaces it would be nice to have a speed less than1x to look around and see details.

RCSX?

by Contributor brianlee on ‎04-19-2016 11:29 AM - last edited on ‎04-19-2016 11:38 AM |

I would like to see a 'bundled' format for RCS files which can be extracted with programs like 7ZIP (such as a DOCX or DWFX). If I ONLY copy over the RCS files, I cannot re-register them again in ReCap as it loses the thumbnail and other functionality I'm not yet aware of. I would like to have the .DIFF, .LLT, .RCC, and .THUMBNAIL 'bundled together' with the .RCS with some .XML file which also stores scanner setting information and locational data (from the original RAW scan data of the device). Correct me if I'm wrong, the RCS is the RAW unfiltered data with the deltas carried inside the other dependency files.

The primary reason I'm trying to do this is so that I can organize my files better. My folder usually is exploding with scan files. I use ReCap by distributing the import point process onto multiple computers manually (I'm impatient, I don't like waiting and I don't drink coffee). For example, I would divide the set of scans between (eg. 3 computers) and run import from .FLS simultaneously. I would then reimport the .RCS files into a new project and re-register them together as a 'master' file.

Annotation Groups

by Participant nazeeb.hamza on ‎01-19-2016 09:09 PM

Similar to the ability of creating Viewstate groups, we should have the ability for creating annotation groups. 

This will be very helpful when we are communicating with multiple teams on a project , for eg:- I can group electric related annotations in one group and mechanical related in another , it will be very easy to turn on/off the respective annotation group when communicating with the corresponding team.

Recap use to index the scans much faster, before RealViews were made.  While RealViews are nice, they increase processing time and file size.  Sometimes they are not needed.  Please make a way for the user to 'check' RealView creation before indexing. 

Bulk Update Cache

by Employee on ‎06-02-2016 01:01 PM

I would like ReCap to tell me what scans need their cache updated instead of being surprised, and therefore frustrated, when opening a RealView. I would then like to bulk update the cache of the RealViews instead of having to navigate to each one individually.

Dear Autodesk and colleagues,

Recap and 123D (design, make, print, catch, make, mesh, etc.) are all very potential applications. Applications where further development is definitely possible. Applications that make use of a similar environment and workflows.

All these programs got some features, but what if you can create one program (Recap 4.0) that has the option to switch between these disciplines? More collaboration, better work environment, faster working, and more.

The power over other Autodesk products, for example Revit, is that you can use the program for more than one discipline. Imagine that you integrate the 123D applications into Recap, so the customer can choose their discipline just like you do in Revit and other Autodesk products.

Imagine you can 3D scan a building (or object), both with pictures as with a 3D scanner, upload it in Recap (4.0), optimize, outline, add component, reshape, make groups, directly make an export for either Autodesk products or a 3D printer and many more!

This idea generates a lot of possibility's, time savings and licensing benefits for both Autodesk as resellers. Of course, the 123D applications are free at this moment, make use of this! You can make a program (Recap 4.0) where only the features from 123D and some from Recap are free to use, let them taste the possibility's and make more money that way. Win-win.

Vote for this idea and everybody wins!

Thank you for submitting your idea @Jreij!
The request has been reviewed and we are happy to inform you that Autodesk will make the necessery actions to merge some of the best functinalities from similar products and provide a more cohesive experiance.

You can see the initial start of this initiative on this page, and you can expect a more integrated experiance from ReCap when it comes to utulizing Reality Capture technologies. 

Thank you again for using the Autodesk products and please continue to send us your requirements that will be of your benefit!

Sincerely, 

The Autodesk ReCap Team

When I have made some scans of a street in the order 1,2,3,4 and 5. Recap Auto Registration sometimes connect it 1,3,2,4,5 or 1,4,3,2,5 or something similar. I would like to tell Recap before Auto Registration which scans it can connect to. Like scan 2 is connected to 1 and 3, scan3 is connected to 2 and 4, and 4 is connected to 3 and 5.

I was thinking about drag and drop the scan spheres on top of each other during the 'Index Scans' proces. Example in the attached picture. This is actually how these scans are connected.

Screenshot (120).png

I think this would give it a better accuracy and will speed up the process. This would also solve that Auto Registration can't find a connection, but find it directly when I open both scans in Manual registration.

Local creation

by Advocate on ‎07-10-2016 05:02 AM

Having to upload photos to ReCap 360 and then download is a real pain when you have low or / and intermittent bandwidth.

I love ReCap for working when using my Faro 330x - it's the easiest software to use and produces great results. But this uploading when working with photo's is restricting and so I'm using Pix4D for this type of work.

Will we be able to process photo's to point clouds via ReCap locally?

It's the same type of issue as with Autodesk Live which is the real-time rendering working with Revit. Why must I upload a 400MB model, then it gets processed and then I need to download the model back to Live (plus now it's larger in size) - only to find out that I need to make changes and run the process all over again. Far easier to use solutions like Twinmotion and Lumion. There needs to be an option ADSK local (and I just let my machine work, or via cloud and you process faster and I choose to pay cloud credits)

Both great solutions, don't get me wrong - but I need a local option and so do many countries in Africa and other less developed regions when it comes to internet speeds.

Background Color Options

by Advocate jared.white on ‎05-31-2016 07:11 AM

I would like to have the ability to change the background color.  The current dark grey can make it difficult when viewing the point cloud in b&w intinsity.  

Hi @jared.white,

Thank you for submitting your idea!
The request has been reviewed and we are happy to inform you that the same has been implemented.

You may start using this feature today by downloading the latest ReCap version from our product page.

More about on the latest updates can be found here.

Thank you again for using the Autodesk products and please continue to send us your requirements that will be of your benefit!

Sincerely, 

The Autodesk ReCap Team

HTC vive or oculus

by Contributor ffauconnet on ‎02-25-2016 02:35 PM
Hi Guy,

Hello guys, can imagine Recap becomes compatible with HTC Vive or Oculus?

Thanks in advance

Our firm has used Point Cloud Data on Revit Construction docs (demo in particular). Can there be a feature to let you use a limit box to get a range of points (say from 0 to 4' off the ground.) and then to export to image file? High Resolution is preferred.

Thanks

Ability to choose temp file locations

by Advocate jared.white on ‎12-27-2016 05:33 AM

As of now, we have no ability to choose where Recap stores temp folders.  Processes such as indexing and unification requires a very flexible amount of space to store temp folders.  If you run out of space on the drive you are working on, it shuts down the process.  This can be very painful and costly for long overnight processes.

There is the need to immerse someone into the scan and VR would be an excellent option.  When scans come into our office the rest of the project team needs to get up to speed. Combining the use of VR would enable any team member to " walk " around the newly scanned space. The ability to review the scan in VR seems like a logical progression in the Recap roadmap as we have seen significant increases in productivity utilizing HMD's.

Export 360 Panoramas

by Explorer nick on ‎01-24-2017 04:57 AM

Hello,

I have found one of the most beneficial uses of Recap 360 to be viewing the 360 images generated with clients and consulting team members during design reviews. it would be immensely beneficial to extend this workflow beyond the use of recap through the ability to export 360 panoramas which can be easily shared among team members.

Regards

Ayuda servicios de nube

by Participant felix.salgado on ‎01-27-2017 10:49 AM

Buenas tardes

tengo problemas al inicia con el procesamiento en servicios de nube desde recap 360 ( Malla de objetos y limpieza de objetos ), que hacer para desbloquear la opción, estos datos son obtenidos desde drone si la opcion se bloqua por este tipo de captura de realidad, la idea es que se desbloque para cualquier captura de realidad ya sea drone o laser scanner 

Limpieza RECAP.JPG

Remove/ Delete Multiple Scans

by Advocate jrfrost on ‎05-24-2016 11:25 AM

You should be able to remove/ delete multiple scans at a time, during the registration process and after.

Team Wide Installs (Deployments)

by Advocate darrelldixon on ‎10-12-2016 06:16 AM

There needs to be an option to create a network deployment (like other Autodesk products) for distribution to large teams. The current method of a separate download to each workstation causes unnecessary and excessive time and bandwidth use.

Limit box and Point Cloud Inspection/navagation/selection could use a lot of help.

The limit box is so cludgy and annoying. You constantly hover over it trying to find some magic pick point only to hover over it and not find a magic pick point.

Why not make the limit box with a grip on each face that never disappears and you dont have to confirm? Just stretch it where you need it. Do you really now how many meters above or below your scan your going need to be? Hardly ever.

I'd rather be able to snap it to a point on the point cloud.

Please take a look at the way FARO SCENE does it. WAY WAY WAY more refined and an actually useful toolbar pops up and gives you all sorts of tools. Its one thing they're getting right amongst some of their many problems with their software.

Here is a simple demo. Sorry for bad audio. I recorded on my laptop and although it sounds like I'm on a plane to somewhere fun and sunny, I'm not. :)

http://autode.sk/2mAIEck

Also, FARO SCENE also has a useful selection tool that allows you to creat what I think they call a "planar view" by selecting all the points you want to view and it essentially "isolates" those points like AuotCAD would isolate entities. The only problem? SCENE is so overly complicated that I can't for the life of me remember how to do it. Thats the major problem with SCENE. There is no structure or thought process to it. its very linear and some of the awesome features go unused because you can't make them work or find them or find documentation for them or you just crash out all the time.

This method would be ideal for deleting out strays or to do any refining or editing without using a limit box. Simple. Select the points you want isolated. Isolate. Delete points. Unisoltate. Rinse. Repeat.

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

Submit an idea
Idea Guidelines

Please review our Idea guidelines and best practices before posting a new idea, or voting on an existing one!

Labels

For more info about ReCap visit the ReCap product page