Recap Ideas
Share ideas for future product features directly with the Recap team and collaborate on existing suggestions with your peers.
New Idea

The Pipe Snap feature allows for the extraction of a cylindrical shape to facilitate dimensioning to the center or quadrant points on a pipe. The Pipe Snap should also allow the radius and diameter of the pipe to be dimensioned.

Thank you for submitting your idea!
The request has been reviewed and we are happy to inform you that the same has been implemented!

You may start using this feature today by downloading the latest ReCap version from our product page.

Thank you again for using the Autodesk products and please continue to send us your requirements that will be of benefit to you!

The Autodesk ReCap Team

My wishlist for ReCap to be usable in our company:

1. Provide the ability to use point clouds in US Survey Foot instead of meters.  Living in the USA, we only use US Survey Foot.  This is a large majority of your selling base that gets excluded, just because the units are unusable. 

2. Provide the ability to click isolated points and export them to Civil 3D.  When we use point clouds for large infrastructure projects, the data in raw form is generally unusable for design purposes.  Being able to zoom to a spot on the corridor and export PNEZD to Civil 3D for design would be incredibly helpful.  If the program did nothing else but this, I would be happy.

Thanks, 
Kevin

Dear Autodesk and colleagues,

Recap and 123D (design, make, print, catch, make, mesh, etc.) are all very potential applications. Applications where further development is definitely possible. Applications that make use of a similar environment and workflows.

All these programs got some features, but what if you can create one program (Recap 4.0) that has the option to switch between these disciplines? More collaboration, better work environment, faster working, and more.

The power over other Autodesk products, for example Revit, is that you can use the program for more than one discipline. Imagine that you integrate the 123D applications into Recap, so the customer can choose their discipline just like you do in Revit and other Autodesk products.

Imagine you can 3D scan a building (or object), both with pictures as with a 3D scanner, upload it in Recap (4.0), optimize, outline, add component, reshape, make groups, directly make an export for either Autodesk products or a 3D printer and many more!

This idea generates a lot of possibility's, time savings and licensing benefits for both Autodesk as resellers. Of course, the 123D applications are free at this moment, make use of this! You can make a program (Recap 4.0) where only the features from 123D and some from Recap are free to use, let them taste the possibility's and make more money that way. Win-win.

Vote for this idea and everybody wins!

Thank you for submitting your idea @Jreij!
The request has been reviewed and we are happy to inform you that Autodesk will make the necessery actions to merge some of the best functinalities from similar products and provide a more cohesive experiance.

You can see the initial start of this initiative on this page, and you can expect a more integrated experiance from ReCap when it comes to utulizing Reality Capture technologies. 

Thank you again for using the Autodesk products and please continue to send us your requirements that will be of your benefit!

Sincerely, 

The Autodesk ReCap Team

It would be nice to give the Mirror Balls the same color as the scan location (still transparent though). So it would be easier to identify from which scans faults in overlaps are coming from during cleaning of the scans. Maybe its also nice for the elevation and (the average) intensity.

Export in Feet... Please!

by Contributor ewbFJ62P on ‎04-06-2017 05:38 AM

It seems that the transformation applied in civil 3d to a point cloud from recap applies a scale factor of only 3.2808.  This is fine with a local 5000,5000 coordinate system, but if my project is in the millions of feet, the scaling is not correct.  solution is simple...  Export in Feet!  Please!

[This is a cross posting from the a360 idea station]

i have folders from using SiteScan (3DR) and they include a zip file for certain recap created types. Currently, if i browse to the a360 drive, i cannot extract

that zip file in that location.

I have 2 choices, either copy that zip to my desktop (or other local location), extract and then copy back the extracted files OR browse to the physical location of the a360 files (C:\Users\Kevin.Spear\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Autodesk Sync\Cloud\...) and exctract it there.

So, i would like to extract ZIP files in a360 where they live.

Secondarily, it would be great if Recap didn't deliver the results as ZIP files though.

Thanks

Kevin

High Quality Walkthrough Tool

by Advocate jrfrost on ‎06-04-2015 10:07 AM

Recap should have a tool that enables you to create a high quality walkthrough of the point cloud that you can export in a video format.

0 Kudos

Additional selection tools

by Contributor AWeirBAM on ‎04-20-2017 02:47 AM

So far the only selection tools that appear in recap, to my knowledge are:

Fence

Window

Plane

The only issue is these don't always help to quickly differentiate between different features within a scan (cars, trees, buildings, etc.).

It would be useful if there was a way to box select items and hide, save as a scan region or delete. Also if the selection tool snapped to points and essentially created a bounding box that would be really useful. 

The only other way i thought it may be possible would be to define points via elevation range or features such as RGB colour to group the points and manipulate as you would desire. The range feature exists in Civil 3D but it would be equally useful in Recap, i believe. 

PLANES SECTIONS AND POLYLINES

by Explorer e.cabrucci on ‎11-26-2015 04:17 PM

I would like to find in Recap a section dedicated to create planes by three points or selected area, with the opportunity to select a threshold selection of the pointcloud to make a section.

the section could be exported or vectorized by an automatic generation of polylines through the slice of point cloud.

If the project contains more than one scan, the polyline need to be just one unique and not one for each scan.

Measure Pipe Diameter

by Employee on ‎07-28-2015 10:09 AM

I would like the ability to measure pipe diameters without having to select a second measurement point. I would also like the ability to query pipe diameters in tools like AutoCAD and AutoCAD Plant 3D. Currently, I can snap to the centerline of a pipe and I see the pipe segment being highlighted, but if I want to "back model" the pipe I have to first measure the pipe diameter in ReCap and then model in AutoCAD Plant 3D.

Added in 2.1.

Plane Snap when dimensioning

by Enthusiast ZoltanFerenczy on ‎04-20-2015 08:11 PM

Similar to the Pipe Snap feature, a Plane Snap feature should exist to constrain a dimension to be perpendicular (normal) to or from a plane. With the Ortho Mode option on, a dimension snapped to a plane would define the orthogonal directions as being perpendicular to the normal of the plane. This would allow for a true distance across a diagonal hallway to be measured accurately.

Added in 2.1.

Ayuda servicios de nube

by Participant felix.salgado on ‎01-27-2017 10:49 AM

Buenas tardes

tengo problemas al inicia con el procesamiento en servicios de nube desde recap 360 ( Malla de objetos y limpieza de objetos ), que hacer para desbloquear la opción, estos datos son obtenidos desde drone si la opcion se bloqua por este tipo de captura de realidad, la idea es que se desbloque para cualquier captura de realidad ya sea drone o laser scanner 

Limpieza RECAP.JPG

Find ground and contour it. 

Categorize objects on layers i.e. building, vegetation, ground, moving objects like cars and people.

Pick spot elevations and add field to finish codes and export that in .txt PNEZD format with other options for exporting like .dxf .csv and PENZD comma deliminator or space deliminator.

Clipping box that could be grabbed and slid along the point cloud for easy quality checking of the registration etc.

Automatic sections along an user defined line and or curve on user defined spacing and starting point. Export to .dxf.

Automatic line work of edges

Thanks for asking!

L. Paul Cook, PLS

Something that would be very helpful to my workflow is to export the target coordinates of spheres (and checkerboards) to a CSV or TXT file.  When I go to registration report and select the target display and choose Export, the only data that is exported is the following:

Shot

Monument

enabled

count

residual

min residual

max residual

rms

Is it not possible to extract the sphere centers as X,Y,Z coordinates in CSV, TXT or some other format?

This was posted in the forum and a ReCap representative suggested this was not possible and I should submit the idea here.

I hope to get some support from the Community, as this would be very helpful for registering Recap to control files without having to manually retype the coordinates one-by-one.

Thanks,

-S.

locked points clouds

by Explorer hannah.parker on ‎01-27-2016 01:38 AM

We create models from LiDAR data. Sometime we require contractors to work with this data but due to the data ownership, we are not able to give them access to the xyz files. What we need, to be able to move all of our artist team over to 2016 3ds Max, is some way to protect the ReCap point clouds, so that they can be imported, but not easily exported straight back out to xyz.

Does anyone else have a similar requirement?

Scan to Model Color Deviation Mapping

by Advocate jared.white on ‎06-01-2016 10:46 AM

We would love to be able to bring in our revit model that was reverse engineered from the point cloud, and compare it to the point cloud using a heat map, similar to polyworks inspector.  The color map scale should be customizable, and should be devided to show cool colors for points below the CAD surface, and Warm to show points above.  You could pick points and show annotations of the deviations.  This would also allow us to give reports on floor flatness, which is commonly requested. 

Extract ground

by Participant sarunasband on ‎04-05-2017 05:06 PM

The ability to automatically extract ground surface.

I have recently updated to the newest version, 3.1.3.4 and I noticed that I am unable to dimension cylindrical objects smaller than 2".  I have tested multiple scan projects and densities and it flat out does not work.  Any suggestions?

Mas potencia con menos recursos

by Observer crndonbenito.design on ‎02-09-2017 06:14 AM

Para cuando tendremos un motor tan avanzado como Geoverse/Veesus/Thinkbox y que fuese operativo en todo el software de AUTODESK  sobre todo REVIT.

Create a slider which controls the display of points based on Color, Intensity, or Normals. This is to help users select specific points for grouping. For example, vegetation will be green. For example, provide a slider which will allow the user to specify the hue range and isolate or hide (invert) points which fall out of that range. Various materials will have different intensity characteristics, we can use this to help organize points.

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

Submit an idea
Idea Guidelines

Please review our Idea guidelines and best practices before posting a new idea, or voting on an existing one!

Labels

For more info about ReCap visit the ReCap product page