Recap Ideas
Share ideas for future product features directly with the Recap team and collaborate on existing suggestions with your peers.
New Idea

Until there is a way for Recap 360 to prove it is accurate it will remain a novelty.   What we need is one a better way to add and assign GCPs (Ground Control Points) to Recap .  Two we need an official Report that can be created to show the errors for each GSP.  We need to see just how close to our ground targets the final product really is.

Have a look at what others are providing and include something similar.   Before we waste out time of exporting and importing into Recap then into Civil 3D (or whatever) we need to know if what we are about to import is accurate enough for our needs.   As of right now this is not being done and until then any data from Recap 360 or Recap is just conceptual in nature as is about about as valuable as the old Google Earth surfaces we were able to import back in 2012.

Sure the final model sure looks pretty, but if it isn't accurate what good is it?  Proofs in the Pudding!  

Bill Neuhauser.

Export to LAS

by Advocate baumbach on ‎04-13-2017 05:08 PM

Include the option to export to LAS files, retaining lat/lon/elev data.

Currently trying to find a low-effort workflow for generating a Revit toposurface from ReCap Photo-to-3D data. I have a license for Globalmapper which has some very slick tools for filtering out points that don't represent ground, and then generating 3D contours from the resulting subset, but Globalmapper is happiest with georeferenced LAS files.

If ReCap could export LAS this workflow would be complete.

I am logging this on behalf of a customer, we noticed that textures/materials are not supported on RCS/RCP files. We caught this when the customer reported this as a behavior with the technical support group - so if you try to assign a texture/material to the RCS in say Navisworks for example, the texture doesn't come in (it appears as white) and there isn't any option within ReCap itself to say select a portion of the scan and assign a different texture. We found you could assign color overrides but not textures. The customer would like to see ReCap support textures coming in from other Autodesk products. 

3D Photographs to Model Ability to Embed PDF's

by Advocate bd5cents on ‎12-30-2015 09:29 AM

It would be immensely beneficial for us to be able to tag the model, attach specification data, submittal data, warranty information, and hyperlinks to the 3D model that is generated, and then to be able to send that data to an interface that allows our customers, service department, and others to view the attached information. Without the need for ReCap. I'm thinking through A360 Team!

Attached is our current workflow, and from there you can see why it would be beneficial. We currently use A360 Collaboration for Revit to push this information out to our contractors. It would help a lot to get the software to allow for this capability. It would streamline our deliverable process and make us more efficient as well.

http://therevitsaver.blogspot.com/2015/12/autodesk-memento-cellphone.html

The ability to host this data in the cloud through A360 would allow us to provide a customer deliverable that is easy and functional!

Scan Groups During Registration

by Participant Stephen.Brechin.01 on ‎11-29-2016 01:16 AM

I would like to see an additional level of hierarchy during registration.  Would it be possible to retain (or create) scan groups as we go through the registration process?  In its simplest form I envisage that, if I had 3 registration groups and I merge two of those, the left side of the registration window would now show two groups.  Doing this would make it much easier to match the outstanding scans to those already registered.

Color Points by Slope

by Enthusiast ZoltanFerenczy on ‎05-13-2016 09:03 AM

Similar to how points can be colored by Normals, coloring by slope would give the points a color based on the deflection angle (0 - 180 degrees) of the point's normal vector relative to the +Z-axis vector. This would be useful for identifying the slopes of land contours, ADA requirements for ramps, or visualizing drainage and water run-off.

My wishlist for ReCap to be usable in our company:

1. Provide the ability to use point clouds in US Survey Foot instead of meters.  Living in the USA, we only use US Survey Foot.  This is a large majority of your selling base that gets excluded, just because the units are unusable. 

2. Provide the ability to click isolated points and export them to Civil 3D.  When we use point clouds for large infrastructure projects, the data in raw form is generally unusable for design purposes.  Being able to zoom to a spot on the corridor and export PNEZD to Civil 3D for design would be incredibly helpful.  If the program did nothing else but this, I would be happy.

Thanks, 
Kevin

Limit Box Manager

by Collaborator John.DeLeeuw on ‎09-14-2016 06:40 AM

Can you add a Limit Box Manager to the Project Navigator in which these things become possible:

• Saving of multiple Limit Boxes throughout the scans
  • Numerical input of Limit Box sizes and position
  • Limit Box visibility per item like Project Navigator already offers

For a lot of scan projects its much easier to set out the coordinates in the field first > position the scanner above or between the points > attach the coordinates to the scans > Import in the scan software (Recap) without registration > clean the scans without the need to stitch them.

This is WAY faster and more accurate than by Shape matching. Yes, it takes a little more time in the field to set out the coordinates, but most of the times these coordinates are also needed for other things (Infraworks360, Construction coordination, ect.)

It was already possible with the TopCon GLS-2000 .ij data in Recap, but it doesn't seem to work anymore since update 2.2 . It would be nice to register them by importing an .csv or something in Recap or by recognizing the data from a file in the same folder.

See registration method 2 in the attachments.

I would also like to see Markups being visible across Realviews and in the 3D Views.

At the moment only Notes and Measures are visible.

When I have made some scans of a street in the order 1,2,3,4 and 5. Recap Auto Registration sometimes connect it 1,3,2,4,5 or 1,4,3,2,5 or something similar. I would like to tell Recap before Auto Registration which scans it can connect to. Like scan 2 is connected to 1 and 3, scan3 is connected to 2 and 4, and 4 is connected to 3 and 5.

I was thinking about drag and drop the scan spheres on top of each other during the 'Index Scans' proces. Example in the attached picture. This is actually how these scans are connected.

Screenshot (120).png

I think this would give it a better accuracy and will speed up the process. This would also solve that Auto Registration can't find a connection, but find it directly when I open both scans in Manual registration.

It would be great if we could import 2d dwg's or 3d files for the use of alignment.  if we could select a location on the drawing or model and associate it with a point in the picture that would be a great way to align project data.

Image Editing Capability

by Enthusiast can_glasgow on ‎09-22-2016 03:11 PM

It would be great to be able to edit/enhance the individual associated colour images attached to the scanworld at the post-registration/Project stage.

Eg.; removing unwanted image artefacts on a surface due to passing cars or people, editing the edge of a surface such as a slightly moving tree (usually has the colour of the sky is mapped onto the leaf edges), balance multi-tonal surfaces due to lens flares, or touch-up irregular colours when there is a considerable difference between dark and light surfaces. Although this could be done in the original scan (unregistered) dataset, it would save time to focus on the most obvious problem images.

A link to a secondary application like Photoshop may work but it may be better to have the capability within ReCap. Specific tools like an alpha channel wand, colour eye-dropper or clone stamp.

Thanks

Cleanup by Colour

by Advocate on ‎11-17-2016 08:21 AM

I've just been cleaning up a scan for the past 30 mins or so and whilst the in-built cloud tool 'Cleanup' does an OK'ish job, it sill take a great deal of time and then removes points which should not be removed and leaves many which I need to remove. I the had to use the fence selection and removal tools repeatedly to get close to a fully cleaned model.

The points I want to remove are create by the laser bouncing off of glass and reflective surfaces. My thinking is that because all points created as a reflection are effectively white, would it no be possible to add a cleanup tool which looks for point of no colour? I believe that the only objects which would be this true white would be reflections as even white surfaces are going to have RGB values applied which are close but not fully RCG 255, 255, 255

These white reflection points are all around and inside the building.

Capture.PNG

This would save an huge amount of time.

Calculate stockpile volumes

by Explorer aramosJC56T on ‎07-07-2016 07:59 AM

Hi, I've been testing Recap trial version and couldn't find a way to calculate volumes, but I thought I would suggest the addition of that module. For reference, maybe you should look at Global Mapper and the way they measure stockpiles. So far to me seems to be the best tool to calculate stockpiles (it can calculate and report volumes of stockpiles individually). Thought I would  make this suggestion as this could make Recap (or Remake) powerful to deliver simple results calculations. This would be a great addition to its current capabilities to visualize and clean cloud points of surveys.

Thanks,

Alberto Ramos

Hi @aramosJC56T,

Thank you for submitting your idea!
The request has been reviewed and we are happy to inform you that the same has been implementedin ReMake!

You may start using this feature today by downloading the latest ReMake version from their product page.

Just select the area you wish to calculate and click on "Mesh Report".

For calculating volumes from point clouds, you can see this webinar which demonstrates the capability by using Civil3D.

Thank you again for using the Autodesk products and please continue to send us your requirements that will be of benefit to you!

Sincerely, 

The Autodesk ReCap Team

[This is a cross posting from the a360 idea station]

i have folders from using SiteScan (3DR) and they include a zip file for certain recap created types. Currently, if i browse to the a360 drive, i cannot extract

that zip file in that location.

I have 2 choices, either copy that zip to my desktop (or other local location), extract and then copy back the extracted files OR browse to the physical location of the a360 files (C:\Users\Kevin.Spear\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Autodesk Sync\Cloud\...) and exctract it there.

So, i would like to extract ZIP files in a360 where they live.

Secondarily, it would be great if Recap didn't deliver the results as ZIP files though.

Thanks

Kevin

Ability to remove color from a piece of the point cloud

by Advocate jasonbayer7965 on ‎11-24-2015 05:39 AM - last edited on ‎11-24-2015 05:40 AM |

Sometimes a laborer in a bright yellow vest walks by or tries to use the scanner as binoculars while it is in picture taking mode.

this causes the points collected behind him to take on the colors of him while he was in this position.It would be nice to be able to remove colors from a section after registration and indexing.  i'd rather see greyscale points than mis-colored points, or having to delete the points all together.

I dont now if this is possible, but it would be nice.

Point cloud classification

by Advocate Buzz123 on ‎07-14-2015 07:48 PM

(Similar to http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/recap-ideastation/the-possibility-to-remove-trees-vegetation/idi-p/557...

Point Classifications are commonly provided with LiDAR data. Examples are Building, high vegetation, ground etc.  Civil3D allows you to change point coud stye to view point cloud classifications. However, Recap can't see classifications at all.

It'd be great if Recap could see the classificaitons as another view type similar to RGB, Elevation etc.

And then it'd be great if you could filter based on the classification as well, so you could extract just the ground, or the building points.

Michael

IDSP 2015/16

Thank you for submitting your idea!
The request has been reviewed and we are happy to inform you that the same has been implemented by the Infraworks team!

More info on this feature can be seen on their latest webinar.

Thank you again for using the Autodesk products and please continue to send us your requirements that will be of benefit to you!

Sincerely,

The Autodesk ReCap Team

Export and Import Viewstates

by Participant nazeeb.hamza on ‎01-19-2016 09:54 PM

We have multiple groups working on the same project at the same time (on the same recap project files on individual PC's) and each are creating viewstates. But at the end to have a MASTER PROJECT file with all the view states, we are currently recreating the individual viewstates in to one file to have the master (we do that after importing all the annotations from the individual PC's). This process is taking a long time and to overcome we need to have the ability to export and import viewstates.

When creating dimensions from columns or large pieces of equipment often we need to dimension to the centerline.  It would be nice if we are able to dimension directly from the center line like we are able to dimension from a pipe currently.  Currently we have to create a dimension from the face of equipment to opposite side of the equipment.  Then we need to do a dimension from the flange of a column to the opposite flange.  We can then assume the centerline of each.  Finally we can take the calculated centerlines and add those values to the final dimension from flange of column to face of the equipment.  To check true alignment of equipment you need to check centerline against multiple columns so you could go through creating 18-24 dimensions when you really only need to do 6-8.

Hopefully you can follow the jumbled mess but I attached a picture to help.  Also can we finally fix the rounding of dimensions?  You can see in the image that 4/8" is showing rather than 1/2".  Our engineers love to poke fun at that one for the past 2 years.

Thanks,

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

Submit an idea
Idea Guidelines

Please review our Idea guidelines and best practices before posting a new idea, or voting on an existing one!

Labels

For more info about ReCap visit the ReCap product page