Recap Ideas
Share ideas for future product features directly with the Recap team and collaborate on existing suggestions with your peers.
New Idea

3D Photographs to Model Ability to Embed PDF's

by Advocate bd5cents on ‎12-30-2015 09:29 AM

It would be immensely beneficial for us to be able to tag the model, attach specification data, submittal data, warranty information, and hyperlinks to the 3D model that is generated, and then to be able to send that data to an interface that allows our customers, service department, and others to view the attached information. Without the need for ReCap. I'm thinking through A360 Team!

Attached is our current workflow, and from there you can see why it would be beneficial. We currently use A360 Collaboration for Revit to push this information out to our contractors. It would help a lot to get the software to allow for this capability. It would streamline our deliverable process and make us more efficient as well.

http://therevitsaver.blogspot.com/2015/12/autodesk-memento-cellphone.html

The ability to host this data in the cloud through A360 would allow us to provide a customer deliverable that is easy and functional!

When uploading a Recap Pro project to the cloud - only real views are uploaded.

If you want to exchange a full project with scan data you need to put the project data on a cloud drive or on USB stick.
It would be nice to have the option to upload scan data as well, so that the full project can be exchanged / copied / moved to another computer via the cloud.

Dear Autodesk and colleagues,

Recap and 123D (design, make, print, catch, make, mesh, etc.) are all very potential applications. Applications where further development is definitely possible. Applications that make use of a similar environment and workflows.

All these programs got some features, but what if you can create one program (Recap 4.0) that has the option to switch between these disciplines? More collaboration, better work environment, faster working, and more.

The power over other Autodesk products, for example Revit, is that you can use the program for more than one discipline. Imagine that you integrate the 123D applications into Recap, so the customer can choose their discipline just like you do in Revit and other Autodesk products.

Imagine you can 3D scan a building (or object), both with pictures as with a 3D scanner, upload it in Recap (4.0), optimize, outline, add component, reshape, make groups, directly make an export for either Autodesk products or a 3D printer and many more!

This idea generates a lot of possibility's, time savings and licensing benefits for both Autodesk as resellers. Of course, the 123D applications are free at this moment, make use of this! You can make a program (Recap 4.0) where only the features from 123D and some from Recap are free to use, let them taste the possibility's and make more money that way. Win-win.

Vote for this idea and everybody wins!

Thank you for submitting your idea @Jreij!
The request has been reviewed and we are happy to inform you that Autodesk will make the necessery actions to merge some of the best functinalities from similar products and provide a more cohesive experiance.

You can see the initial start of this initiative on this page, and you can expect a more integrated experiance from ReCap when it comes to utulizing Reality Capture technologies. 

Thank you again for using the Autodesk products and please continue to send us your requirements that will be of your benefit!

Sincerely, 

The Autodesk ReCap Team

[This is a cross posting from the a360 idea station]

i have folders from using SiteScan (3DR) and they include a zip file for certain recap created types. Currently, if i browse to the a360 drive, i cannot extract

that zip file in that location.

I have 2 choices, either copy that zip to my desktop (or other local location), extract and then copy back the extracted files OR browse to the physical location of the a360 files (C:\Users\Kevin.Spear\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Autodesk Sync\Cloud\...) and exctract it there.

So, i would like to extract ZIP files in a360 where they live.

Secondarily, it would be great if Recap didn't deliver the results as ZIP files though.

Thanks

Kevin

Would it be possible to get ReCap Pro (scan to mesh, cleanup etc), Photo to 3D and Real View cloud services get added to Autodesk's Health Dashboard at health.autodesk.com? Or some other health status somewhere so we know when the services are having issues or planned maintenance.

I have found Navisworks to be one of the most powerful 3D integration tools for all phases of a project. During the front end engineering process Navisworks can integrate laser scan point clouds along with BIM and CAD models with the capability to publish these types of models which can be viewed with the Freedom viewer. It makes the option review process enormously faster for projects in existing facilities by engaging all stakeholders. Not to mention identifying potentially costly approaches which may be mitigated much earlier in a project lifecycle. The ability to distribute project scope to everyone in a single file/place without barriers to requiring specialized software is a very powerful feature.

So, for example, in an existing industrial facility a project may comprise work to remove existing equipment and/or replace/upgrade the equipment. Experience has demonstrated that starting with a point cloud in Navisworks and building a living 3D model as it transitions from an existing as-built condition to the final project state has enormous potential. Currently using Navisworks a model can be built from laser points (Recap [.rcp/.rcs]), Faro (.fws/.fls) BIM models (Revit), Solidworks models, JT models, etc., etc. with very few limitations and possessing the power to publish a model for the Freedom viewer which works for everyone with no limitations.

I tested my NWD published file on A360, but while it works on Freedom, it doesn't on the A360 viewer. I’ve seen a lot of focus from Autodesk demonstrating how powerful the cloud tools can be for project collaboration. When I saw A360’s viewer capability I thought it would be a perfect tool to be a Navisworks Freedom “cloud” tool. Especially when I saw how many file formats it supports. So in that light I assumed since Navisworks can build a 3D model from a long list of 3D file formats which can be published to the Freedom that the A360 viewer would support any model built which could be published into an NWD file. However, as you pointed out, the A360 viewer doesn’t support Recap model data (voxels) in an NWD file which Freedom does. In doing further research, I think I understand what you mean about Recap in that there is a separate Recap 360 “cloud” which is a different subscription. So I assume that is the reason A360 doesn’t support Recap data even though it can be published to an NWD file.

So now we have two separate “clouds”, which negate the powerful collaboration capabilities described above and are in conflict with a lot of the media Autodesk presents about project collaboration in the cloud. This doesn’t seem to make sense and seems to be sending mixed messages.

Going forward, I can easily ignore Recap and directly embed Faro .fls files into an NWD file along with BIM/CAD data accomplishing what I described at the start. And using the separate Autodesk desktop programs project teams can collaborate in local “cloud” environment using a cloud tool such as Box, downloading published files, and collaborating from their desktop. Not as efficient as something like A360, but everything works without limitations currently imposed by A360. I’ve already accomplished everything described here on recent projects and it works. So the promise I saw in A360 is really limited due to the forced separation of model data, which devalues it considerably.

I’ll avoid the A360 cloud viewer in the future and continue to use the desktop products for team collaboration until such time that a single cloud model viewer becomes available for all model formats.

Hi @AdvancedCM,

Thank you for submitting your idea!
The new ReCap 360 Pro is out and we are happy to inform you that many of the submitted request here on IdeaStation have been implemented including yours.

You may start using this feature today by downloading the latest ReCap version from our product page.

More about on the latest updates can be found here.

Thank you again for using the Autodesk products and please continue to send us your requirements that will be of your benefit!

Sincerely, 

The Autodesk ReCap Team

Ayuda servicios de nube

by Participant felix.salgado on ‎01-27-2017 10:49 AM

Buenas tardes

tengo problemas al inicia con el procesamiento en servicios de nube desde recap 360 ( Malla de objetos y limpieza de objetos ), que hacer para desbloquear la opción, estos datos son obtenidos desde drone si la opcion se bloqua por este tipo de captura de realidad, la idea es que se desbloque para cualquier captura de realidad ya sea drone o laser scanner 

Limpieza RECAP.JPG

There is the need to immerse someone into the scan and VR would be an excellent option.  When scans come into our office the rest of the project team needs to get up to speed. Combining the use of VR would enable any team member to " walk " around the newly scanned space. The ability to review the scan in VR seems like a logical progression in the Recap roadmap as we have seen significant increases in productivity utilizing HMD's.

0 Kudos

Currently in V4, we don't have the ability to upload the RealView elevation slices that were created on the desktop version.  This means that we have to create a recap project for each level, and upload separate projects.  This may be more of a bug than an idea.  

jw

Select files from A360

by Explorer hannoQS5R9 on ‎11-13-2016 09:25 PM
I suggest to be able to
load files on A360, in the project space, instead of from A360 Drive.
At the moment one can only access files on A360 drive, which is really bothersome as eg most of ky work is on A360 and the Forge API does also only work with A360. Should be simple to enable this when selecting files. Thank you

First:  you have a good product.  I use it daily and it is a critical component of our business workflow.  Accordingly, I do beta tests and am first to try out new updates and features.

I keep getting requests for new services and features.  This is great!  However, I would suggest you do some housekeeping around the Recap platform before confusing the customer with new editions, models, features, subscriptions, names, brands, SDKs, DLLs, GUIs, web-portals, etc.

To elaborate:  If everry there is someone who should understand the Recap system it is me.  I follow and subscribe to most anything I can get my hands on.  Yet even I am confused with versions and releases and features and cloud credits and A360 and Recap360 vs. Ultimate vs. Pro vs 2.2 vs. Recap2017 vs Cloud, vs subscription.  Can you make 2 (or at most 3) "Levels" of program and stop it there, with clear delinineation between what is included with each?

Furthermore, I don't think that Photogrammetry and Lidar shoudl be mixed into one program.  They are entirely different at the moment. Lidar is destktop, while Photogrammetry is just a link to your Recap 360 website (againn, very confusing).  

Uploading a Lidar scan project to the Recap360 (or is it A360?!?!) site to share with a client is clunky and confusing. Equally as confusing with Photogrammetry projects and creating Meshes from Lidar data.  Argghhh!!

You should run a dead-link check with ALL of your portals, sites, hubs, blogs, newsletters, etc.  It is quite frequent that I encounter a dead link.  And this is not exclusively when browsing an obscure post or site.  Some top level links from the Recap interface are dead links (404 errors).  And some of the top posts on the forum provide answers to questions for Recap 1.x that was replaced and made obsolete year(s) ago.   Keep current/relevant posts and suggestions top and archive the others.  Things move fast in your world.  Unlike a Microsoft Excel forum, posts on Recap are obsolete after 12 months.  Maybe less.  Many of your "News" postings are from 2014. Purge them.

Lastly, you should consider one streamlined place for Recap users.  Currently there is Autodesk product pages, Recap360, user groups, hubs, forums, etc.  And there is little consistency to content across them, or reciprocity in links between them.

Also lastly, how about disabling the upsell links for subscriptions if the user is signed in already?  I'm currently a "Pro" subscriber and yet on the Recap program main welcome screen, it pitches me to "Upgrade to Pro to unlock features".  I could overlook this except that I have litte confidence in the Adesk system knowing I already AM a Pro subscriber.  Or so I thought.  Have I done something wrong?  

Shake some things up at Recap, make them consistent, create a single brand/product, and don't look back.  I'd be all in.  Your customers would flock to the product. Right now even our Authorized resellers don't understand it.

Far too long of a rant, but I mean it constructively,

-Scott

In ReCap when uploading a point cloud to the Cloud to convert the file into a mesh, a short progress bar is shown during the upload to the Cloud. However, once the cloud takes over and starts its meshing process, there is no way of finding out how the mesh is getting on until the notification in ReCap/the email notification appears at the end. It would be good to see some sort of progress bar in order to gauge how long the conversion will take.

It would be great for Real Views to get the ability to annotate levels and XYZ coordinates similar to how we can get dimensions currently. In ReCap Pro on the desktop it displays the current coordinate at the bottom of the window so I'm really just after an online solution, and preferably an annotation so that it can be kept.

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

Submit an idea
Idea Guidelines

Please review our Idea guidelines and best practices before posting a new idea, or voting on an existing one!

For more info about ReCap visit the ReCap product page