Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad Should read and scale the ReCap cloud properly.

Autocad Should read and scale the ReCap cloud properly.

Inserting ReCap cloud into Civil 3d 2016, Still doesn't scale properly. We have to scale the point cloud 0.99999803.

4 Comments
jeff.nichols
Explorer

YES, Recap takes your State Plane data and scales it to metric.  Civil automatically assumes you want to work in International Feet and scales accordingly.  We turn off the insunits and scale the cloud up 3.2808333.  Basically the same approach you're taking.  This needs to be addressed.  Most users could care less, but it does matter.  Its scary thinking about the ones not understanding this and rolling along.  oh well.

jross34XLC
Community Visitor

Jeff and Chris,

I agree. My primary use of ReCap is to get a point cloud through this program and into Civil3D as quickly as possible and begin my real work of building the surface and drawing features. I could also do without the cartoony interface as well, but I'd settle for a spatially correct and easily verifiable recap file, similar to the display in Civil3D.

vidanom
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

brianlee
Contributor

I concur with this request. US Americans have to deal with a very unsightly number (3937/1200) to convert from Metric to U.S. Survey Feet.

For example, my X, Y values for location on the California NAD83 state plane coordinate system begin at roughly 6000000,2000000. When I go from Metric to U.S. Survey feet, I end of missing my ground control points by a few inches and sometimes more than a foot in programs like Revit.

Think of it like scaling a block that has its origin at 0,0 and the top right extents at 6000000, 2000000 units. People might say I'm crazy trying to push CAD's scale factor that many units but the insanity lies in how our State Plane Coordinate system is defined.

When Revit can only go to 6 decimal places for the scale factor, I can only punch in 3.280833 to scale the point cloud. When in fact it should be 3.2808333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 (extra 3's added for emphasis but the more the better!).

If ReCap gave me a point cloud export in U.S. Survey Feet for starters, it would not be an issue.

Once again, this is VERY important for those who are trying to use ReCap in a georeferenced surveying environment.

For a nice read, please try this:

http://www.pobonline.com/articles/91189-from-the-ground-up-the-international-versus-u-s-survey-foot

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report