Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selecting points and Scan Regions are very slow

79 REPLIES 79
Message 1 of 80
Chad-Smith
3868 Views, 79 Replies

Selecting points and Scan Regions are very slow

I'm experiencing a great deal of slowness with regards to selecting points and then assigning them to Scan Regions.

It was fast at first, but the more Scan Regions I created, the slower it got.

I only have 5 scan regions, but as I try and select some more points to move onto existing scan regions, the system just hangs.

It maxes out the CPU resources, but the RAM sits steady. It's like it is trying to select the points, but just can't.

79 REPLIES 79
Message 2 of 80
JustinKirk
in reply to: Chad-Smith

Ive also noticed this. It maxed out all 24 cores and I would struggle to reopen the scene after I saved and closed.

I cant even export small states if I have scan regions. 

Using pro version 1.1.117.0

Message 3 of 80
davecarpenter

I am having this exact same problem and it's making it impossible to continue to work in Recap.  When I select a bunch of points to assign them to a region it takes 5 minutes for the computer to find the points I've selected, and then another 5 minutes to assign them to the appropriate region.  My CPU is completely maxed out during this time.  I can't work like this.  But I think what bothers more is the fact that when I found this problem posted on an Autodesk forum and realized that no one from Autodesk has responded to it for 3 months.  What's going on???  I thought I could find some help here.

Windows 7 Pro, HP Z800 Workstation, Intel Xeon CPU 2.4GHz, 4GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580.
AutoCAD 2014, and Kubit PointSense Plant
Message 4 of 80
Chad-Smith
in reply to: davecarpenter

I just gave up in the end on what I was trying to do at the time.
Message 5 of 80
davecarpenter

There's got to be a solution or at the very least a work around. I can't believe your post has gone this long without a reply from someone at Autodesk. Unfortunately I'm in to deep to turn around, I'll let you know if I find any solutions.
Windows 7 Pro, HP Z800 Workstation, Intel Xeon CPU 2.4GHz, 4GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580.
Message 6 of 80
davecarpenter

The best solution for me was to export out all the regions I currently had as well as the current point cloud and then re-import them as separate scans.  You'll lose control over all the individual scans but your computer will work like new again.

Hopefully Autodesk will address this issue sooner than later.

Dave

Message 7 of 80
Chad-Smith

I'd like to bring this issue to the foreground again with Autodesk.

As soon as even a single Scan Region is added to the ReCap project, the performance drops off exponentially.

Scan Regions are an invaluable feature to have, but the performance needs to be proportionate to its usefulness.
Message 8 of 80
mmeade2

I have been experiencing the same issues.  Add a region (which is tremendously useful) and performance goes to hell, cpu maxxed no matter what system I run the files on.

Message 9 of 80
mmeade2

I've been in contact with this issue with folks at Autodesk and they are working on it.  Best workaround I have now is instead of creating regions, make a copy (copies) of your main unified file.  You then want to get only what you want in your "region" visible and export that as a separate unified file, deleting or clipping out your unwanted items.  Pain in the butt, but it does work.  You could then view your "regions" (separate RCS files) in Navisworks or whatever else you need them in.

Message 10 of 80
hahmad

Still no solution? can i export only the regions that i want or how do i do it? plus if i want te remove the points that is in one region how do i also do that?

Message 11 of 80
yan.fu
in reply to: hahmad

You can isolate the regions you want to export and hide other regions then you can export only the regions you want. If you want to remove the points in one region, you can delete the region and the points in the region will go back to unassigned. If you want to delete the points in one region, you can delete the points using the same volumes.
Message 12 of 80
hahmad

I did like how you explained but now i tried to create a new project and when am trying to import all these seperated RCS files they are placed in different place that it was origionally. tried to change the coordinate before i export them but still the same problem, how can i mange to make recap understand that some exports have to be shifted and so? if you understand what i meanIMG_1593.jpeg

Message 13 of 80
brianpgreen
in reply to: hahmad

Come on Autodesk.  No response to this?

Message 14 of 80
yan.fu
in reply to: brianpgreen

When user updates origin before export and then re-import the exported file into the same project. The positions won't coincident as the coordinate system has been changed in the project.

If you create a new project and re-import the exported files, they should be placed in the same place.

Could you describe the steps you have done befor the export and how do you re-import the exported files?

Thanks,

Yan

Message 15 of 80
brian
in reply to: yan.fu

I'm having the same problem.  I updated my version of recap to make sure that this hasn't been fixed with the recent update.  No luck.  I've got a very simple project with only 6 scans from a FARO X330.  The more regions I create the slower my project gets when selecting and/or clipping/unclipping.  Very dissapointed as I have a meeting with my client in the morning to show them the completed scan project.  

Message 16 of 80
Chad-Smith

This seems to now be running a lot quicker in the newest release.
Thanks.
Message 17 of 80
n_mccullough

Just updated it today. It's not running any quicker. Still having the same slowdown issues. Come on, Autodesk. Is this problem ever going to be addressed?

Message 18 of 80
Chad-Smith

Ignore my previous post. There are still significant performance issues with Scan Regions.
Message 19 of 80
richiee

(Copied my response from another post)

I've been checking in with the engineering team every couple of days on this and they're still very much working on it. Long story short, while it seems like it should be a simple fix, they uncovered some larger problems and decided to re-work a sizable chunk of the underlying code to help keep things like this from re-occuring down the road as scans continue to get larger and even more dense.

I know it doesn't make the problem any less painful, but I can assure you that we are focused on trying to make sure everything is done the right way rather than 'good enough... for now'.

Message 20 of 80
Chad-Smith

Thank you for the reply, and especially a reply with some details.
As you say it's not an ideal reply, but one that I can understand and knowing that it's being worked on I will wait patiently for a solution to arrive.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report