Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reload Scans on Open

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
dustinmanning
621 Views, 16 Replies

Reload Scans on Open

I have a project of about 300 scans that have been registered in Faro Scene. Every time the project is opened a few of the scans need to be reloaded. Nothing has changed in these files and it's as if the project isn't getting fully saved. Is anyone else experiencing this?2017-04-24_11-34-43.png

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

yes, but I experienced it when I was still in the process of importing scans, skipping registration and indexing.

So I just waited and after some time it opened.

My guess was that the indexing or a Save As operation had not completed correctly when I closed the project.

Message 3 of 17

Eventually this went away for you though? I've had multiple saves that seem to be completed but every open causes the same dialog/reprocessing to occur.

Message 4 of 17

Yes, it went away,

But i have had my computer indexing and saving (closing) and up and running all time.

I also did crash an USB HD. I recommend to use 2 internal SDD and use a "Save As" onto the other drive to be sure that all files of the support folder are copied over.

Message 5 of 17

@dustinmanning

Are you noticing the same set of Faro scans needing to be re-added or re-indexed? These are all structured/fixed origin scans from a Faro device (for example a Faro Focus laser scanner)? Is the indexing completing before you close/reopen the project? 

First Name Last Name or First Name.Last Initial
Public Facing Job Title
Link Name | Link Name | Link Name | Link Name
Message 6 of 17
ryan.frenz
in reply to: scott.a.green

This can happen when one or more of the scans fails to index - in certain cases this kind of happens 'silently', in that the scan is just skipped, but remains in the project as something that still needs indexing (hence the re-try when you reload).

Check the project's support folder and list your RCS files - you probably have a one or a few that didn't get generated.  These are your problem scans - remove them from the indexing screen and the issue should go away.  That leaves the problem of what happened with those scans - I'd suggest trying them in a smaller project - if they work, you can attach the RCS files to the original project.

HTH

-Ryan

Message 7 of 17
scott.a.green
in reply to: ryan.frenz

@ryan.frenz 

That was my suspicion as well, that the indexing had failed to complete. I agree, @dustinmanning, I would remove the scans that don't appear to index correctly - if you are noticing the same set of scans that are having the issue I think Ryan is correct here - something may be wrong here with those scans and you could try indexing them separately in another project and see if they finish indexing. 

@dustinmanning, If Ryan's suggestion helps, please mark "Accept as Solution". 

If you still are seeing the behavior afterwards, please let us know. 

-Scott 

Public Facing Job Title
Message 8 of 17

@dustinmanning

I wanted to check in with you, are you still experiencing the behavior with those scans? Did you try re-indexing the failing scans in another project and did they successfully index? 

-Scott 

Public Facing Job Title
Message 9 of 17

Scott, thanks for checking in. Still having the problem. I removed all files from the support folder associated with the trouble files (.diff, .rcc etc...). When I open the project it still goes straight to the registration/index screen. Saving the project again does not change this.

Message 10 of 17
ryan.frenz
in reply to: dustinmanning

Did you try removing the scan from the project by clicking the 'x' on its thumbnail from the indexing screen?  Removing the files (probably) won't remove the project's reference to the scan.

-Ryan

Message 11 of 17

@dustinmanning

As Ryan suggested, remove them from ReCap itself by deleting them via the application by clicking the "X" icon. Open a brand new project, index those problem scans to the new project and see if they index successfully. If they do, you can then take those .rcs files and load them into the existing project. 

-Scott 

Public Facing Job Title
Message 12 of 17

I removed the scans from the original project (by clicking the X on the individual scans.) That project still has the problem though. The culprit scans will not index in a new project. 

Message 13 of 17

@dustinmanning

I've sent you a message, perhaps you could share the problem files with me and I can test the indexing issue on my end. 

-Scott 

Public Facing Job Title
Message 14 of 17

@dustinmanning 

I enlisted the help of one of the engineers - I was able to reproduce the behavior, and the engineer was able to do so as well. We have the latest FARO SDK installed too. The engineer suspects that there is something wrong with the scans and has reached out to their team for more assistance. We will follow up with you later in the week once the team has had a chance to investigate the scans more. 

-Scott 

Public Facing Job Title
Message 15 of 17
ofoord
in reply to: scott.a.green

I am having the same issue with a project containing 153 scans.  I have imported and indexed the scans and it works well the first time I have it open.  When I come back to re-open the RCP it pulls up the "indexing scans" screen, when I hit index it moves to 100% quickly and then launching the project will crash the program each time I attempt to open thereafter.

I am anxiously awaiting a solution.

Thank you Autodesk!

Message 16 of 17
Patrick_Aps_9121
in reply to: ofoord

Try this workaround

Start a new Scan project

import the RCS files from the support folder of the project with the problem.

If that works, use a save as to save to another drive, so that the support files will be copied over.

If it does not work, then you should be able to find out which of the 153 scans is causing the trouble.

Message 17 of 17

@dustinmanning

Development investigated further and updated me on their findings - they checked the scans in FARO Scene and they noticed that the affected scans are not showing points. The development team confirmed their earlier suspicion that these files may be corrupted in some way. You may need to create new scan files to replace the corrupted ones. 

If this helps to answer your question, please mark as 'Accept as Solution'. 

If you have any further questions for me or for development about this issue I would be happy to answer them. 

-Scott 

Public Facing Job Title

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report