Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recap getting slower and slower -regions & delete

29 REPLIES 29
SOLVED
Message 1 of 30
Anonymous
2949 Views, 29 Replies

Recap getting slower and slower -regions & delete

Using Recap 360 PRO.  As I go through my point cloud and delete points in some areas and assign regions to others the program gets slower and slower each time I select a new set of points (to either delete or assign region).  I have seen other posts about different delete techniques and have tried them with no luck.  In fact I don't dare save with optimization or save as new file sine the save procedure takes an extremely long time.  I have now waited 2.5 hrs for my file to save and it's still going.  I have tried breaking my point cloud up to several smaller areas by deleting an entire area of the scans and then SAVE AS to new name so that I can work on the remaining points.  My plan is (was) to attach multiple rcp file to my acad 2016 file and essentially recombine there.  But I have not been able to do so since even the smaller files are having the same issues.

System:  Brand new workstation

Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v# @2.4Ghz - 2 processors, 16GB ram x64, windows 10

29 REPLIES 29
Message 21 of 30
gsismanACAD
in reply to: Anonymous

"RECAP 360 cloud computing"
Haven't really seen a seamless use of the online meshing yet in our use.
Seems like adding yet another Autodesk product "Remake" is needed to realize the full value.
Civil 2017 is so "bloated" with potential dynamic links to other modules that it takes forever to register to the database (particularly when using XREFS) that using it can seem like running 90's era computers, compared to Civil 2012.
Message 22 of 30
LyleHardin
in reply to: gsismanACAD

We are finding ReCap Pro to be VERY slow now, too.

We are on the latest version 4.0... (whatever... I can't check now because I'm still waiting for ReCap to finish an EXPORT command).

I just finished wating over an hour for a SAVEAS command to finish.

I've even copied the files to my local drive to see if it was a network issue, but it is still taking an hour or more to do a SAVEAS on a project with about 30 scans. Exporting as a unified .rcs takes way too long as well, sitting 0 percent for 20 minutes or more. I realize how big and complex these files are, but there just seems to be something wrong with ReCAP. I don't think it took this long to do things a year ago.

I'm contemplating going back to the Leica or Faro software even if it means doing without the neat features ReCap provides in AutoCAD, Revit, and Navisworks. Project managers are complaining, clients are complaining, something needs to be done.

Dell Precision T7810, 32 Gig Ram, Xeon CPU E5-268w v3 at 3.1 GHz, Solid State HD, NVidia Quadro K5200.

--- Update: It's now 6:30 (~2 hrs after my post) and my Export is still sitting at 0%.... Going home and wishing for the best. Oh! Wait! It just moved to 1% as I was getting ready to click on "Post"... Now it's at 2%... Okay.... At least I know it's moving....

Message 23 of 30
gsismanACAD

Autodesk really does need to concentrate on their software not just functioning (depending on what else is on your computer, but functioning efficiently. What is the software doing? I honestly think sometimes it's loading data to the cloud, doing something with it and then giving it back. If it can't handle working with certain other software, say so. Just lay the specs out for us.
If you needed a particular level processor, then benchmark test your dang software and let us know what we really need. Perhaps we just aren't there yet.
We may just be beholdened to the $18k piece of fully functional point cloud management and computing software for the next few years.
Message 24 of 30
LyleHardin
in reply to: LyleHardin

Update. My .rcs export finished at 7:50 last night. Almost 4 hours after I started it.

This morning at 7:30, I opened another file, deleted some points and did a save with optimization a little before 8:00 am.

It's been over an hour, I have a whiteish ReCap screen with the spinning wheel and no indication of anything happening with ReCap at the moment.

Task manager is not showing any changes in CPU nor Memory in regards to ReCap.

This ReCap file and support folder is on my local hard drive because I'm trying to take the network variable out of the equation.

I think it's locked up, but I'm going to let it set and see what happens. I've got plenty of RAM and CPU so I'm working in Revit while I'm waiting.

Is this happening to everyone else? I do see the occasional complaint about ReCap being slow.

Message 25 of 30
Anonymous

I've been trying to export a single region for days now.  Recap will crash, then I try to load my project back up and no points load, when I try to update the view using the view cube Recap is non responsive and crashes again.  If I start the export again the points slowly load (2 hours time) but the export is still at 0%, it's 1:00 EST now, have 5 more hours till another day is shot.  Using recap 4.0.0.28, two machines, two different projects same result.

Message 26 of 30
LyleHardin

I updated from 4.0 to 4.2 a couple of days ago and things have been progressing smoothly for me yesterday and today.

I am also working on my local drive for all the processing, then I'll move the data back to the network once I'm done.

I don't really know if it was the update, or something else just 'busted loose', but things are working well now. I can Save, Saveas, and Export all within a few minutes. Definitely less than a few hours as has been the case the past several weeks. Most of my point clouds have anywhere from 12 to 50 scans in them and they are working much better now.

So, look at your ReCap opening screen and you should see the notice about an update available. Download that, and give it a whirl.

Message 27 of 30
Anonymous

I will put it past my IT department and see what they say.  Glad to hear you are able to use the program as designed.  I will update if I hear anything more.

Message 28 of 30
gsismanACAD

Not sure what 4.0# were using, but I do know the very latest version released had major bus in it. I have the version released in Feb/March and my designer loaded the latest and a report came back about the bug.
They really need to update some functionality in recap. I like the speed of the viewer-once everything is loaded. Also the graphic photoview "bubble view" is pretty awesome, even compare to Leica's Truview Global.
The efforts have much to be desired.
By doing just a save, it seems the no edits you have done are carried over to a cloud attach in Civil 3d.
You must export as a unified cloud then reopen it, make your regions and export again.
I don't think it Exports regions on a scan job that isn't unified.
U also can't make meshes on clouds that were created by mobile mapping Lidar
Message 29 of 30
LyleHardin
in reply to: gsismanACAD

I can say version 4.2 is working fine for me. Much better than 4.0 was.

The trick to saving changes is this... sometimes.

• Make your changes in the ReCap (.rcp) file (delete points, etc.) and save chosing to .
  • Now immediately do a SAVEAS and write over the file you have open. This will (hopefully) make sure deleted points are actually removed from the file.

It is also important to be certain no one has a file open that uses that .rcp file.

So, if the .rcp file is being used in AutoCAD, Revit, Navisworks, etc., make sure no one has any of those files open.

Autodesk needs to address these issues. Picking SAVE should save all these changes. We shouldn't have to have these workarounds.

Hope this works out for you.

Message 30 of 30
LyleHardin

Sorry, got interrupted and sent before I was finished...

Step one is to SAVE, choosing to Optimize.

Didn't mean to leave anyone hanging...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report