Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recap getting slower and slower -regions & delete

29 REPLIES 29
SOLVED
Message 1 of 30
mjmccort
2878 Views, 29 Replies

Recap getting slower and slower -regions & delete

Using Recap 360 PRO.  As I go through my point cloud and delete points in some areas and assign regions to others the program gets slower and slower each time I select a new set of points (to either delete or assign region).  I have seen other posts about different delete techniques and have tried them with no luck.  In fact I don't dare save with optimization or save as new file sine the save procedure takes an extremely long time.  I have now waited 2.5 hrs for my file to save and it's still going.  I have tried breaking my point cloud up to several smaller areas by deleting an entire area of the scans and then SAVE AS to new name so that I can work on the remaining points.  My plan is (was) to attach multiple rcp file to my acad 2016 file and essentially recombine there.  But I have not been able to do so since even the smaller files are having the same issues.

System:  Brand new workstation

Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v# @2.4Ghz - 2 processors, 16GB ram x64, windows 10

29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
jftaylor89
in reply to: mjmccort

I am having the same issue, trying to clean background stuff out of our point clouds and it progressively gets slower to where you literally cannot work in the file. Tried to export a region, stopped the export after it had only completed 3% after an hour or so. Please try to resolve this issue as it really makes working with the cloud in recap cumbersome and inefficient.

Message 3 of 30

This should have been solved in version 2.2.0.25 (or above). Which version are you using ?
Meanwhile version 2017 (3.0) is available with already one update
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/recap/downloads#?sort=score
Message 4 of 30

I am running Recap 360 2017 v. 3.0.1.5 which i believe is the most up to date and I am still having this issue.

Message 5 of 30
mjmccort
in reply to: Patrick_Aps_9121

I am also running 3.0.1.5.  I used the desktop app to check for updates and this appears most current.  Also after waiting 5 hoursa for the "SAVE AS" I opened back up to find all of my deleted points had come back.  That's a bunch of lost work.  Perhaps operator error but I'm not sure how I screw up selecting points and hitting trash button?

Message 6 of 30
TBodor1

Any new updates to this issue? Still happening for me to and i'm using version 3.0.1.5.

Message 7 of 30
jftaylor89
in reply to: TBodor1

I have not received any upates or new information on the issue. It really is quite a frustrating problem haha.

Message 8 of 30
mjmccort

I have also not gotten any update or resolution.  I've tried several different files of various scans:  varied number of scans, higher lower rez scans, color scan, non color scan.  Same result.  I'm ready to give up on Recap and use other resources.  Geomagic Design X64 does an excellent job registering scans and has a lot more ability to manipulate parameters like decimation etc.  That also means it's more complex to use.  It generally plays nice with acad 2016.

Message 9 of 30
ashwini.murthy

Hi,

That's correct. 3.0.1.5 is the latest version as of today.

Sorry you are having these issues. Optimizing (by selecting Save) and Removing points (by doing a Save As) should help. However, the time taken to optimize depends on several factors like size of the scans, project etc.

If you have multiple regions with "cleaned points" that you no longer need, I would suggest deleting the regions with the option Delete "regions + points" and then optimize.

Have you tried to do a unified export? Working on a project that was unified would generally be faster.

Ashwini

Message 10 of 30
TBodor1
in reply to: ashwini.murthy

I agree with your comments and we do clean and resave to delete points from our projects first before we start assigning regions.

The problem is with the regions. The functionality of regions is fantastic but the performance after a few regions are created is the issue. If I understand workflow correctly once the rcp is linked into Revit you should be able to turn the regions on and off as needed. Am I mistaken in this functionallity? This has very strong potential if I can get it to work properly.

I also had another issue the other day that may or may not be a problem as well. I tried to link a small project that had a few regions in it (4 to be exact) to my Revit project and I kept getting an error in Revit stating the file is incompatiable or corrupt. Once I removed the regions and then unified the project everything worked well. I'm going to run some more testing today to see if I can recreate that same issue again and will start a new thread if it does.

Message 11 of 30
ashwini.murthy

About the issue in the last paragraph, were you trying to open the project in Revit 2016? There is a known compatibility issue with opening projects that have deleted regions (through delete region+points functionality) in Revit 2016.

This is fixed in Revit 2017.
Message 12 of 30
TBodor1

Yes. I was trying to open it in Revit 2016. Thanks for the heads up.

Message 13 of 30
ashwini.murthy

If you don't have access to Revit 2017, a quick workaround is to recreate the same number (or more) of regions that you previously deleted, each with a few random points and then try to open the project in Revit 2016 🙂

Ashwini

Message 14 of 30
TBodor1

Thanks for the info.

Message 15 of 30
Chad-Smith

@ashwini.murthy wrote:

If you have multiple regions with "cleaned points" that you no longer need, I would suggest deleting the regions with the option Delete "regions + points" and then optimize.

Have you tried to do a unified export? Working on a project that was unified would generally be faster.

While these may be workarounds which could help, is there anything being done about the core issue of more Scan Regions equals a slower ReCap, so that we can use the program as it was intended?

Message 16 of 30
jftaylor89

DId the recent Recap update resolve any of this issue?  I did not see it in the listed fixes.

Message 17 of 30
robmatthews
in reply to: jftaylor89

I'm running ReCap 2014 (Ver 1.5.033), non-360. We will never use 360. (There is zero reason to use off-site computing for this.)

We are having this same issue. Is there any path forward?

=============================================
This is my signature, not part of my post.
Message 18 of 30
jftaylor89
in reply to: robmatthews

Rob,

I could be incorrect on this but this issue originally occurred on a Recap version around the timeline of the one you are using. There was an update released shortly thereafter that fixed the problem. As far as using 360 goes, it looks like there is no longer just a Recap, if you ever upgrade to the 2-16 version you will notice that. I would advise you try to maybe upgrade to the newest version of the recap you are running and see if that helps.

Message 19 of 30
gsismanACAD
in reply to: jftaylor89

Using the brand new v 4.0.0.28 and it deletes very fast and I don't see a slow down. I am running Windows 7 Pro with a Quad XEON and 32GB Ram and a K600 NVIDIA Card

Message 20 of 30
gsismanACAD

Rob, there is a reason to use our computing if you are running multiple products on your machine (I.e. Autodesk Civil while running Recap
360 shoved some of the more extensive processing of to a cloud server with much more processing power than a normal workstation.
I work for a DOT and IT is slow on the uptake in upgrading local workstations to a point where there is REAL efficiency with working with point cloud data.
Our goal now after experimenting since last summer is to create a virtual server feeding virtual desktops that will all run off an NVIDIA industrial Grid graphic card and have RAM on demand allowing our desktop workstations free to run the less demanding MS, CAD and GIS programs.
We are sometimes pegging all 32GB of RAM across all 4 XEON processors, crippling any further program actions while performing cloud analysis or editing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report