Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recap 360 versus Recap 360 PRO

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
Anonymous
2437 Views, 21 Replies

Recap 360 versus Recap 360 PRO

Last year I downloaded free ReCap 360, in 2017 after some updates I see "Your trial has expired" (but it was a free version!).

I decided to use a subscribtion to ordinary ReCap 360 (price was around 7 euros/month), but at the moment I see that only ReCap 360 PRO is available (40 euros/months).

I do not think I need additional features of the PRO version. Are different versions available at all or is ReCap 360 PRO the only available version?

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
ian.volkwein
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello, 
Glad that you've been finding ReCap useful!

Yes, there is definitely a Free version that has a subset of the Pro features. For a detailed list of those features check here: http://www.autodesk.com/products/recap-360/compare

The 30 Day trail gives you 30 days of access to the Pro features, but you can continue using the Free version after that.

Hope this clears up the Free vs Pro question.

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: ian.volkwein

Hello, Ian,

Thank you for the quick reply!

Unfortunately I do not seem to be able to get to the free version functionality.

When I open application I cannot do anything (all other parts of the window are grayed out) except actions in the middle section as shown on screenshot below:

• Activate PRO version
  • Exit application
  • Update
    I already have version 3.1.0.12 (which is the latest one available) and if I press that button then I get a progress spinner which spins forever (I have even tried to leave it overnight, but it just keeps spinning)

Do you have any hints what can I do to get through this window?

Thank you for the help!

ReCap_360_screenshot.jpg

Message 4 of 22
vidanom

Hi @Anonymous,

The time period of your free version has expired, so you would only need to update your version to access all of the previous and new features of ReCap.

Mitko 

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: vidanom

I have also the same problem,

i cannot use the free version, i have only 3 options

update - i cannot update i have the latest version

subcribe - i want to use the free version only

exit application - sure it is not what i'm trying to do

Thank You

Snap 2017-03-07 at 13.24.53.jpg

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous

@Anonymous: Yes, exactly the same problem as in my case!

Just to clarify: "update" option is not working: this is what happens if I click it:

recap_360_eternal_spinning.png

This wheel spins forever: I tried to leave it "loading" overnight, but nothing changed.

Message 7 of 22
ian.volkwein

Hello!

You should only ever see that message if you are on an old version of ReCap.

I would suggest downloading the most recent version
http://www.autodesk.com/products/recap-360/free-trial

If you still experience this message after getting the most recent version, please go to Add / Remove programs and screenshot the version of ReCap you have installed. Any version 3.0 or above should not be showing this message.

Hope this resolves your issue!

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: ian.volkwein

Yes, it is the latest available version - 3.1.0.12, which I downloaded from here:

http://www.autodesk.com/products/recap-360/free-trial

I tried right now clicking "DOWNLOAD NOW" and it still offers the same version:

Autodesk_ReCap360_31012_Multilingual_Win_64bit_wi_en-US_Setup_webinstall.exe

I tried several remove/re-install cycles, but result is always the same.

Here is a screenshot of my "Programs and Features" (Windows 7 64bit):

recap_version.png

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous

Hi, all!

Issue is finally resolved by installing "Autodesk Desktop App" from this page:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Desktop-App-freezes-and-...

I did not de-install anything and did not remove any files and did not stop any processes before installation.

Instead of that:

1. Unzipped installer
  2. Logged off and logged back on to Windows (otherwise installer did not run)
  3. Ran the installer and completed installation
  4. Updated Recap 360 (there were two updates) through newly installed "Autodesk Desktop App"

Now Recap 360 works correctly and that "0 days" window is not displayed.

Resulting version of Recap 360 is: 3.1.3.4 (which is higher version from what you get when you press "DOWNLOAD NOW").

Message 10 of 22
devangshah

Thank you Vitali.

Hello all,

In case of any Autodesk Desktop App issue, all ReCap users (free and subscription based) can download and install ReCap service packs using the steps provided below which would help update to the latest available version

1. Visit https://knowledge.autodesk.com/download 

2. Click on 'Service Packs & Fixes'

3. Select 'ReCap 360' -> 'Show downloads'

4. List of available service packs is displayed. Download the applicable service packs and install

Please note that we will post an update before one starts seeing the 'x days remaining' update notification message.
We recommend installing the latest ReCap service pack before the remaining days turn zero. 

Regards,

Devang 

Message 11 of 22
mdowney

I just wanted to add that there is another solution to this. If you go to the ReCap downloads page here:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/recap/downloads

you can download any updates necessary to get your version of ReCap updated to the latest release. Start with the file that updates the version that you are currently using and download that file and all the versions after that. Unfortunatly, after your product expires, you can no longer click the "i" button to get the version number, but you should be able to find it in Control Panel where you can see the programs available for Uninstall.

I don't know why the developers decided to basically "expire" certain builds of ReCap. This happens even when on a paid subscription. Very frustrating!

Mike

Message 12 of 22
mdowney
in reply to: devangshah

Just wanted to let you know that I'm not a fan of the builds of ReCap expiring. Sometimes newer builds introduce bugs that make them unusable and forcing users to upgrade could lead to issues. Notifying users of the available upgrade and leading them to the location to download that upgrade would be preferable.

Thanks,

Mike

Message 13 of 22
mdowney
in reply to: mdowney

Also, it leads to an IT emergency when the user hasn't run the program in a while and the next time they run it, they are unable to use the program.

Message 14 of 22
MarcZinck

Hi Mike,

I appreciate your feedback regarding the application expiration for free users of ReCap. Users under subscription are NOT required to update in order to continue using the software and will not be presented with the in-app notification of expiration.

Autodesk ReCap is constantly evolving, adding new features and services, and fixing defects to make working with reality data easier for our customers. In an effort to provide the best experience and support we encourage all users to be on the latest version of the software.

Thank you,

Marc

Marc Zinck

Software Development Manager

Autodesk - ReCap

Message 15 of 22
mdowney
in reply to: MarcZinck

I can assure you that being on a subscription does _not_ prevent recap versions from expiring. Last week, one of my users saw his countdown get to zero and was forced to install the latest update before he was able to use it again. And just yesterday, I was forced to install updates for a user who had not used ReCap in a few weeks before she could use the program. If that's not supposed to happen, something needs to be fixed.

"Encouraging" all users to be on the latest version of ReCap would be fine and it appears that is already being done. Of course, if the developers release an update that they can guarantee has no bugs, feel free! But until they can do that, forcing updates is not acceptable.

Mike

Message 16 of 22
MarcZinck

Hi Mike,

I am sorry to hear that a user who was on subscription experienced a situation where they were unable to use the product. The feature is designed such that only installations of ReCap that have not been activated with a subscription expire. If you encounter this situation in the future, please verify that the version installed has not been activated. Activated installations will show "Autodesk ReCap 360 Pro" in the title bar, whereas non activated versions will show "Autodesk ReCap 360" (without Pro).

If you have purchased a subscription, you are able to activate ReCap from withing the expiration dialog by clicking on "Activate". If there is a license already installed on the machine, the activation will proceed automatically, otherwise you may need to enter your serial number which can be found in the ReCap tab of the Autodesk Desktop Application. You can launch the Desktop Application from the Windows System Tray.

We respect the fact that some users may want to run the version of their choice which is one of the many advantages of subscribing to ReCap Pro.

If you encounter issues with activated versions of ReCap Pro expiring please reach out to be directly. Screenshots can be helpful.

Thank you,

Marc

Message 17 of 22
mdowney

We have ReCap with our Building Design Suite subscription and also with our AEC Collection subscription. These both install as ReCap and ReCap 360, depending upon the version installed. From your description, it sounds like the distinction is between ReCap 360 vs. ReCap 360 Pro rather than whether you are on a subscription or not. Does that sound correct?

Thanks,

Mike

Message 18 of 22
MarcZinck

Hi Mike,

ReCap 360 Pro is included in the AEC Collection as well as the Product Design Collection and the Media & Entertainment Collection.

Building Design Suite comes bundled with the free version ReCap 360 and can be upgraded by subscribing to ReCap 360 Pro.

Marc

Message 19 of 22
mdowney

That's interesting because my ReCap installed with AEC is ReCap 360. Will that change to ReCap 360 Pro if I activate it?

And back to the previous issue, it seems to me that whether your product expires or not depends not upon whether you have a subscription or not but whether you have ReCap 360 or ReCap 360 Pro. Correct?

Message 20 of 22
MarcZinck

Mike,

Activating ReCap 360 will change the installed version to ReCap 360 Pro and is referred to as subscribing to ReCap 360 Pro.

Marc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report