Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ReCap 360 - Low density point cloud

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Chad-Smith
1569 Views, 16 Replies

ReCap 360 - Low density point cloud

I've just processed a ReCap 360 project on Ultra (actually twice now), and the resulting .RCS file which I can download is incredible low quality.

Is there an ADSK person who can take a look at it server-side?

I have attached a screenshot as reference, and circled where the item of interest is, that the photos were taken of.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
cheliotes
in reply to: Chad-Smith

What are your coordinate values? I have seen results similar to this when working with large coordinate numbers. If this is the case, the remedy is to update the origin to a point within the point cloud.

Message 3 of 17
Chad-Smith
in reply to: cheliotes

Thanks for the suggestion.
I resubmitted the project with a new coordinate value (0,0,0) at the corner of the item, but it remains at a low quality like before.
Message 4 of 17
richiee

Chad, is there any chance that you could provide us with the RCS file to look at? If so, please share the project with the user 'recap360'.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 17
cheliotes
in reply to: richiee

Another possibilty I am thinking of regards the project units. If you are exporting in feet and Recap is reading the coordinates as meters the data would get pretty spread out.

Message 6 of 17
Chad-Smith

Since the sharing function requests an email address, is this recap360@autodesk.com?

Cheliotes: I don't see an option to change the units when exporting/downloading. The project has been scaled in millimeters.
Message 7 of 17
cheliotes

I have not yet found a way to export in any other units besides meters. The project unit settings don't seem to have any effect on the exported coordinates. I have been exporting as PTS and importing into a metric Cyclone database, then converting units for export out of Cyclone. I might be missing something regarding the export process from Recap. It's a big extra step, but I have not found a better work-around.

Message 8 of 17
yan.fu
in reply to: cheliotes

Could you use the point query tool or annotation tool to check the point coordinate value shown at the left corner?
Message 9 of 17
Chad-Smith
in reply to: yan.fu

Screenshot attached. The image has ReCap Pro on the left, with ReCap 360 on the right.

Message 10 of 17
richiee

Yes, that email address is correct.
Message 11 of 17
Chad-Smith

Thanks.
I've now got two more projects with the same issue. I've included these. You should receive three Share invites.
Message 12 of 17
bencoady

Hi,

Have you tried turning the noise filters off prior to recaping the pointcloud? I had a similiar problem where the scans were being recapped and coming out extremely weak. Make sure your co-ordinate size is set at 1mm instead of the default 5mm, this should give you a clearer pointcloud once recapped. 

I found that the noise filter was cancelling out some of the 'weaker' points, making the pointcloud less dense. 

Let me know how you get on, 

Ben.

Message 13 of 17
richiee

Chad, in looking at the RCS (I'm focusing on 'Security Access' since it has the most detail), the problem is that everything is so small that you're hitting the lower limit for visible detail in ReCap. (The cross section of the entire area was measuring out at something like 20cm.)

When you mentioned earlier that you scaled everything in MM (were these defined survey points, or just from the 'Units' drop down?), I believe this to be why you're seeing what appears to be loss of detail in the point cloud. It's there, but everything is scaled well below what can be displayed.

Can you try again and use either no scale at all, set it as something a bit larger and see if you still have the same results?

Thanks.
Message 14 of 17
Chad-Smith
in reply to: bencoady

Ben, this is a point cloud which has been pre-generated in ReCap 360 and therefore no Noise Filter options. It has then been loaded into ReCap for further manipulation.
Message 15 of 17
Chad-Smith

Richie, I've just measure my exported file and you are correct, I should have checked that before.

While this clearly is the result, I'm not convinced that the issue is necessarily anything I've done incorrectly on my end.

If you go back to a previous post from me in this thread there is an image attached which shows that the scene has been scaled correctly in millimeters, and set to 400mm. Here is that image again.

So I think the question is now why the scene is being rescaled (possibly upon export) to something different to what is defined correctly in the project by me (as in the image link above)?

Message 16 of 17
richiee

Chad, It's not that I think you did something incorrectly. Ideally, it should all work regardless of input. I'm just trying to establish what precisely is happening in the case of this project so that we can figure out if there's a bug in the exporter and how to go about fixing it. It's much easier to determine if we can work out specific steps or cases for reproducing the issue.
Message 17 of 17
Chad-Smith

I went back into the ReCap 360 project and changed the units to Meters, and it produced a proper file export. Although it is now not scaled correctly.

On a side note, I think charging for an Ultra output might be a big premature given the current bugs.

NOTE: As of January 27th, we will begin charging for each "Ultra" photo project submitted

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report