Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RECAP 2016 VERY, VERY SLOW IN NAVIGATION AFTER FEW EDITS

53 REPLIES 53
Message 1 of 54
json037
3377 Views, 53 Replies

RECAP 2016 VERY, VERY SLOW IN NAVIGATION AFTER FEW EDITS

This problem is not seen before 1.4.2.8

For previous versions a few regions or deletes or limit boxes then the wait time exponentially grew but you could still navigate fine and load on Civil 3D or Revit.

From 2.0 which you silently uploaded without any notification or patch note:

You can't even pan/zoom/fly after few a few regions. I find it funny that it's actually not causing fatal error like Civil 3D usually does.

Once the point cloud reaches this period it takes forever to be loaded in Civil 3D/Revit and opened back in Recap.

Issues relating to point clouds had been brought up from all recap users for at least past 6 months and it got even worse.

I personally think this is unacceptable.

You need to release software that works to customers perception and expectaion then fix bugs by releasing patch in timely manner.

What Recap now is an alpha version of a software brandized and advertised as a full version.

We may not be paying for recap itself but we are indeed for suites and all this is costing us more money and time because of lies or/and lack of

explanations from Autodesk.

I am really curious how did people in Autodesk create regions in their sample project and getting away with their presentation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5Ox3dsvmdk

How long did above take? months?

Is everyone expected to run 128GB of RAM and K5000 graphics card and unlimited time?

Someone in development of the software really need to explain what the cause is, why there are issues and how long it is expected to take to fix.

Tags (4)
53 REPLIES 53
Message 41 of 54
jdubcarter
in reply to: jdubcarter

Project just finished loading, but is extraordinarily sluggish when navigating.

Message 42 of 54
simulate.919i1

Message 43 of 54
michael.riley
in reply to: json037

So if I understand correctly, the "cleanup" region is still in your project?

If so, that would most likely be the cause of the slowness.  These regions tend to be very complex, and the recommended workflow is to delete this region (choosing the option to delete the region and included points) and then optimize the project.

Message 44 of 54
jdubcarter
in reply to: michael.riley

Michael -

I deleted "Manual Cleaning" region I created, along with the points in the region.  I then attempted to save the project.  Following the click of the "Save" button, Recap crashed and I was greeted with the Autodesk "Send Error Report" dialog.  You can find the details with the following error report identifier: 

CER_124894317.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the recommended workflow should not be "recommended" if this is the typical result.

Respectfully,

- Jarrod

Message 45 of 54
michael.riley
in reply to: json037
Moved:

The export issue around project export that was reported here has been moved to a separate thread, in order to not confuse it with the subject of this one.

Message 46 of 54
michael.riley

Jarrod,

Thanks for providing the CER number.  It looks like this crash has only happened to a couple of users in the past, so it is certainly not the norm.

For your cleaned region, did you perform automatic cleanup and then add additional points to the region?  If we know more about what is in this region, we might be able to help sort it out.

-Michael

Message 47 of 54
jdubcarter

Michael -

To answer your question, I had either window or fence selected points in the cloud and moved them to the "Manual Cleaning" region.  I did this for points distributed around the cloud that were either objects I didn't want to keep, stray points, or noise.  I had one other region that was called "Lvl 1 - Floor".  I didn't use the new cleanup tool at all.  I had tried it in a previous iteration of the project, but that file became corrupted when I tried to save it.

There was nothing particularly special about the region that I deleted, or the points that were contained in it, at least not by my estimation.

I can certainly send you the project if you are interested.

As far as this "not being the norm", I hope you will forgive me if I don't find that particularly comforting considering the amount of time that I have wasted trying to use Recap to do what it is supposed to be able to do.

Respectfully,

- Jarrod

Message 48 of 54
newunit

With all due respect Michael, isn't it just a little quirky to suggest that anyone should "have to perform" an "automatic" anything?

Message 49 of 54
michael.riley

Jarrod,

True, my apologies for the time you've sunk into something that should just work.  You should receive a box.com shared folder invitation shortly, where you can upload the project (RCP file and Support folder) if you're willing to let us take a look.

Also, if you end up with a corrupted file at some point, as you mentioned below, there are generally up to three project backup files corresponding to the last three saves within the Support folder.  They have the extension ".rcp.bak".  Placing one outside of the Support folder and renaming the extension to ".rcp" will effectively restore it.

-Michael

Message 50 of 54
ewbFJ62P
in reply to: hideo1985

Something that helps is setting the far view to something reasonable.  It begins at 3,000 feet.  I have reduced it to 500 (as that is the limits of my project), and the viewing is a little faster.  It's under Home, Settings (gear box), General "far plane:".  I also just tried setting the units to three decimal places... Didn't help that much. 

I have an i7 quad core processor, with 8gb Nvidia M4000 video card.  I have a point cloud generated from 200+ photographs.  I do find it taxing that once I create about 5 regions, I lose significant performance.

Message 51 of 54

Have there been any updates/improvements made to this issue? I'm using regions in a ~15GB point cloud right now that, like many others in this thread, was working just fine before I started assigning any points to regions. I noticed that the actual .rcp file ballooned to something like 10x larger while the Support folder size stayed the same, which I guess makes sense. But it seemed odd that classifying points into regions would make normal operations such as panning and orbiting so much slower. Why would the region metadata even be referenced during operations that have nothing to do with regions?

It's a shame because even with tools like PointSense and EdgeWise, I would still prefer to use the point geometry for documentation rather than waste time creating Revit elements, and Revit 2017's ability to read ReCap regions made me hopeful we could do this more going forward. 

Message 52 of 54

Hi,

as far as I know, the trouble is more related to "selectioning" then with regions. The more you select points by hand (to change them to another region) the more these "selections" have to be stored in the RCP.

I use the "import Regions from CSV file" procedure, and I have no issues with performance. My problem is that there was a limit of only 80 Regions.

In any case, always use the most recent version of Recap. Things have impoved a lot since 2016.

Message 53 of 54

@Patrick_Aps_9121 Thank you very much for your reply.

@travis.rothbloomMY5UY I am sorry you are experiencing this issue. This reason why navigation is affected by region is that the points you see on the screen are only part of the point cloud data. When you navigate the project, more points are loading from files to refine the detail. And region effects have to be applied to the new points too. 

@Patrick_Aps_9121 has suggested a great way to improve the performance of selections and regions. In addition to this, we have proposed some small tips in another relevant post:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/recap-forum/selecting-points-and-scan-regions-are-very-slow/m-p/69772...

Repost it here:

1. Use more regions instead of putting a lot of selections into one region. The performance majorly depends on how many selections you have made instead of how many regions you have. Splitting big regions into smaller ones will help to improve the performance especially when you want to lock / hide that region, i.e. make regions to be locked / hidden contain fewer selections. 

2. Although plane selection is very useful to select points, it scarifies some performance since plane bound can be as big as project bound, which spans more area compared with using rectangle selection with limited bounding box. 

3. Keeping your selection as tight as possible to include only the points you want to select also helps to improve performance.

4. Use clip tool to aid your editing process when you want to temporary hide something. 

And add one more:

If you are using deletion to clean the data, you can use optimize tool in "Save as" to permanently remove the deleted points and this will also improve the following editing process. 

Hope this helps.

Yan

Message 54 of 54
jburke
in reply to: yan.fu

Is this going to be fixed anytime soon?  The first post of this issue was 5 years ago.  The selection, clipping box, region creation and deletion tools are the best out there, except that if you do too much it renders your project unusable.  It's great that Recap will be doing processing in real time with the BLK360, but if I can't clean up the project before publishing than I'll be looking at other options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report