Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RECAP 2016 VERY, VERY SLOW IN NAVIGATION AFTER FEW EDITS

53 REPLIES 53
Message 1 of 54
json037
3378 Views, 53 Replies

RECAP 2016 VERY, VERY SLOW IN NAVIGATION AFTER FEW EDITS

This problem is not seen before 1.4.2.8

For previous versions a few regions or deletes or limit boxes then the wait time exponentially grew but you could still navigate fine and load on Civil 3D or Revit.

From 2.0 which you silently uploaded without any notification or patch note:

You can't even pan/zoom/fly after few a few regions. I find it funny that it's actually not causing fatal error like Civil 3D usually does.

Once the point cloud reaches this period it takes forever to be loaded in Civil 3D/Revit and opened back in Recap.

Issues relating to point clouds had been brought up from all recap users for at least past 6 months and it got even worse.

I personally think this is unacceptable.

You need to release software that works to customers perception and expectaion then fix bugs by releasing patch in timely manner.

What Recap now is an alpha version of a software brandized and advertised as a full version.

We may not be paying for recap itself but we are indeed for suites and all this is costing us more money and time because of lies or/and lack of

explanations from Autodesk.

I am really curious how did people in Autodesk create regions in their sample project and getting away with their presentation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5Ox3dsvmdk

How long did above take? months?

Is everyone expected to run 128GB of RAM and K5000 graphics card and unlimited time?

Someone in development of the software really need to explain what the cause is, why there are issues and how long it is expected to take to fix.

Tags (4)
53 REPLIES 53
Message 21 of 54
hideo1985
in reply to: richiee

Hello Guys,

As I can see, I'm not the only one with this slow issue. In my project I have 52 scans. Recap worked perfetcly till the moment to delete some points. Now, I can't even rotate or navigate the scene.

The customer wants to see the results, but how I gonna finish the scanning project?

I tried to export this file, but it's impossible to do it...the file crashes while exporting.

Message 22 of 54
richiee
in reply to: hideo1985

Did you get a crash report? If so, were you able to submit it? If you did, we can look into what might have caused it. The slowdown is still being worked on but it shouldn't crash. Also, are you running the latest release? (2.1.0.17 at the time of writing.)

Message 23 of 54
hideo1985

No, I didn't get a crash report. To tell the truth it was not exactly a crash. When the project got slow I tried to export, but after 12 hours, only 5% of exporting process was completely (for me this is a crash) then I canceled the operation.

I'm working on a trial version 1.5.0.33. The company where I work have doubts about this program, so I'm creating a presentation, change their minds and buy the software. I need to do a perfect job. 

Message 24 of 54

We paid for the full version, were up to date and still had the same issues as you so dont be so quick to go out and pay for something. I would wait until they get a fix for this otherwise you are just wasting your companies money. I think theyd rather wait or have you use another program then waste their money. I know my company did.

Message 25 of 54

Thanks John!

I appreciate for you share your experience with Recap. You know, except for the slow problem after delete some points, I liked Recap.

I used to work with another software but Recap is more didactic, faster to register the scenes and easy to learn.
Tried to follow some tips that I have found here (exporting, SSD...), but the slowing persist...
What I'm doing now: Registered the 52 scans in Recap and trying to edit the points at Navisworks. 

Message 26 of 54
Bob_Lipchik

@hideo1985 wrote:

I'm working on a trial version 1.5.0.33. 

Updating to the latest version is important.  If I'm not mistaken, you can do this even though you're working on the trial version.  I can tell you that this problem has improved quite a bit with the versions newer than what you're using......but not completely fixed.  The latest version that richee suggests - 2.1.0.17 - was just released and may have fixed the problem altogether, but I haven't tested it yet.

Do the update.  You'll see the problem get better.  With the newer versions I've been able to get farther down the deleting trail before having issues, and in many cases I've not gone far enough to cause issues.  Give it a shot and see if this helps.

Bob

Message 27 of 54
richiee

I have to second what Bob said. There have been improvements to this problem with each release as we work towards a much bigger solution. The 2.2 release will also have some additional features to help prevent this problem going forward.

Message 28 of 54
hideo1985
in reply to: Bob_Lipchik

Thanks Bob! You were right, even with a trial version I could update the software. Richiee, you were right too, congratulations to the engineering team! The latest version of Recap 360 (2.1.1.2) works better but doesn't mean that is totally fast... exporting still slow. I think that I have only two or three days left til the end of trail version. Now I'm focusing on find the way to create a presentation. I'll send some suggestions by feedback option inside the software like: animation option, insert 3d models and a free version with extended options. So, let me go back to my presentation and see if the company decide to buy or not the license.
Message 29 of 54
Bob_Lipchik

hideo,

You've mentioned that you're on the trial version and you're considering purchasing.  Keep in mind that Recap has a free version that does everything Recap360 (the paid version you're using on a trial) does except register the scans to each other.  You may find that your workflow allows you to use the free Recap program without having to pay the ridiculous cost of Recap360.  We process and register our scans through our laser scanner software and export to Recap so we can create the unified RCS file for use in Autocad and Navisworks.  You can download the standalone Recap here:

http://www.autodesk.com/products/recap/download

Give this a try and see if it does everything you need.

Message 30 of 54
hideo1985
in reply to: Bob_Lipchik

Hi! Thanks for the last tips. To tell the truth, I'm working on it right now. Just having some difficult to open a .fws file at Recap.
Message 31 of 54
richiee

Hey Hideo,

When you get to the add files stage, are you not able to drag and drop the FWS file into the project window? Doing so will pull in all of the scans associated with that project.

Message 32 of 54
hideo1985

Now it works, don't know what happened. But it's slow to open fws file... only 6 scans, imagine with 52 scans. I noticed some difference between Recap 360 with another software (attached file). The Recap file is fully registered and the other with only 2 scans. I will finish the registration then give a feedback.
Message 33 of 54
hideo1985

Having problems to open a .lsproj file at Recap. When I drag and drop the file the following message appear: "There are no valid file to import". When I said in the last message that it worked I used a file that I had registered in Scene version 5.3.0.37858. Now I'm trying to open a registered file made at scene version 5.5.0.44203 at Recap version 2.1.1.2.
Message 34 of 54
richiee

Just spoke to QA and we'll take a look to see if something might have changed. If needed, is this data that you might be willing/able to share with us for testing purposes?

Message 35 of 54
jdubcarter
in reply to: json037

It is difficult for me to believe that this problem still exists, but it does.

I have a license for Recap 360 Ultimate and I am using Version 2.2.0.25 on a BOXX 7402 workstation with dual Xeon E5-2643 3.4GHz processors with 6 cores each, an NVidia Quadro K4200 with 4 GB of memory, and an Intel 730 series 480 GB SSD.  The CPU's a liquid cooled as is the GPU.  This is not your mothers workstation.

I recently performed 27 scans of the interior of a building using a FARO X330 operating at 1/4 resolution and 3X quality.  I was able to import and register the scans with relative ease and efficiency in Recap; however, that is where the ease and efficiency ended.  I attempted to clean up the scan data for export to Rhino for modeling the interior to generate floor plans and start laying out space usage.  After spending a couple of hours deleting points, I saved the project, which took forever.  After the save the project was practically unusable as even navigating was ridiculously slow and even unresponsive.

I read some tips on saving the project as a .rcs file and then working from there using the unified scan data in the .rcs file.  At first I thought that would work, but then the same problem.

I then tried opening the .rcs file and cleaning by adding points to a region that had the visibility off.  Same problem.

Once you've done any appreciable work cleaning up the scan by deleting points, or moving them to regions that you can turn off, you end up with the equivalent of a software brick.  If you try to navigate the scan it is painfully slow and at times unresponsive.  If you try to save the edited file, the save process is ridiculously slow and may terminate with an error.  If you try to export the edited, the process is ridiculously slow and may terminate with an error.  If you try to open the edited file after saving, it takes a ridiculous amount of time and the navigation as just as sluggish and unresponsive.

Out of frustration, I exported the original unedited but registered scan project to a single .pts file and opened it in Cloud Compare.  Cloud compare imported all 64,692,290 points in under 2 minutes.  I was able to convert the scan data to a native Cloud Compare binary, and I'm off to the races.

I struggle to understand how a massive multinational conglomerate that requires the steep price that they do for Recap can not produce something as useful as freeware that I can get from a dude in France.

If you don't solve this problem soon Autodesk, you can consider my subscription to Recap terminated when it comes up for renewal.

Message 36 of 54
michael.riley
in reply to: jdubcarter

Have you tried the new optimization feature that we recently introduced?  When you delete points in a project and save it, it should prompt you to optimize your project, which will remove the performance issues usually associated with performing many deletions.

Thanks,

Michael

Message 37 of 54
jdubcarter
in reply to: michael.riley

Michael -

Thanks for your reply.

To answer your question, I have indeed used the optimization feature every time I have saved it and the option has been presented.  The optimization feature has had no appreciable effect, at least as far as I am able to perceive it.

Respectfully,

- Jarrod

Message 38 of 54
michael.riley

Jarrod,

Ok.  Do you have many clips or regions in your project as well?  Both of those can impact performance as well.

Thanks,

Michael

Message 39 of 54
jdubcarter
in reply to: michael.riley

Michael -

My most recent effort involved no deletion of points, but I did create two regions.  One was created to contain the points associated with the floor of the lower level of the building.  The other region was created to contain points associated with my "cleaning" of the point cloud.  In previous attempts I had both deleted points and created a couple of regions, but in the most recent attempt I wanted to see if I could avoid bricking the software by only creating regions and not deleting points.  The attempt was not fruitful.

As far deleting points or placing them in regions, common sense tells me that performance should improve rather than degrade.  If you eliminate data, or segregate it into regions/layers that are not visualized shouldn't you expect that the machine would be able to perform better because fewer resources are being utilized?  When I use Cloud Compare and turn off sections of the point cloud, performance inevitably improves.  If I delete points in Cloud Compare the performance improves.  I would expect the same from Recap.

Respectfully,

- Jarrod

Message 40 of 54
jdubcarter

I just started loading the project 30 seconds ago.  I'll re-post when the project finishes loading.

When I try to rotate, I sometimes get the "program not responding" popup for Windows.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report