Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RECAP 2016 VERY, VERY SLOW IN NAVIGATION AFTER FEW EDITS

53 REPLIES 53
Message 1 of 54
json037
3376 Views, 53 Replies

RECAP 2016 VERY, VERY SLOW IN NAVIGATION AFTER FEW EDITS

This problem is not seen before 1.4.2.8

For previous versions a few regions or deletes or limit boxes then the wait time exponentially grew but you could still navigate fine and load on Civil 3D or Revit.

From 2.0 which you silently uploaded without any notification or patch note:

You can't even pan/zoom/fly after few a few regions. I find it funny that it's actually not causing fatal error like Civil 3D usually does.

Once the point cloud reaches this period it takes forever to be loaded in Civil 3D/Revit and opened back in Recap.

Issues relating to point clouds had been brought up from all recap users for at least past 6 months and it got even worse.

I personally think this is unacceptable.

You need to release software that works to customers perception and expectaion then fix bugs by releasing patch in timely manner.

What Recap now is an alpha version of a software brandized and advertised as a full version.

We may not be paying for recap itself but we are indeed for suites and all this is costing us more money and time because of lies or/and lack of

explanations from Autodesk.

I am really curious how did people in Autodesk create regions in their sample project and getting away with their presentation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5Ox3dsvmdk

How long did above take? months?

Is everyone expected to run 128GB of RAM and K5000 graphics card and unlimited time?

Someone in development of the software really need to explain what the cause is, why there are issues and how long it is expected to take to fix.

Tags (4)
53 REPLIES 53
Message 2 of 54
michael.riley
in reply to: json037

I've taken a look and there does seem to be a slowdown compared to 1.4 when you have many regions. I'll forward this to the team and see what we can do about it.

I'm sorry that problems around regions and performance have persisted as long as they have.  We are working hard on resolving the problem.

Thanks,

Michael

Message 3 of 54
Rbrown251
in reply to: michael.riley

Any update on fix?

Message 4 of 54
n_mccullough
in reply to: Rbrown251

It's not just regions. The more points you delete, the slower it gets. We are paying for 3 suites at the moment, and personally I think it's ridiculous that this issue hasn't been fixed yet. It's been happening in previous releases too, yet we've been told time and time again that Autodesk is working on a fix.
Message 5 of 54
ffauconnet
in reply to: n_mccullough

Hi all !
We have same problems !
Recap is slow and it's impossible to see or navigate in....
I have the the version 2.0.0.255
Do you have find solution ? or hot fix ?

Thanks in advance

Flo

Message 6 of 54
richiee
in reply to: ffauconnet

Hi Flo,

As far as a hotfix, we did release version 2.0.1.5 last week.

With regards to the trouble you're seeing, can you tell us more about your project(s)? Number of scans, format, density, number of regions, etc would all be very interesting to us.

Thanks.

Message 7 of 54
ffauconnet
in reply to: richiee

ok...
but where we can download this version ?
on https://recap.360.autodesk.com/ you delivre just the version 255.

thanks in advance

Message 8 of 54
json037
in reply to: ffauconnet

It's available in application manager.

Message 9 of 54
Flies-Eyes
in reply to: json037

Yes I am finding Recap is getting bogged down once I have created 10 regions or so.  Get to the point it is impossible to continue working on the file.  Has anyone found a fix for this issue yet?

Message 10 of 54
Bob_Lipchik

Richee,

To answer your question, I have a project that I used my Faro Focus3D scanner to create, registered all scans together in Faro Scene, then moved over to Recap to do my editing.  I've got about 50 or less scans in this project.  I have two versions of this project saved.  Both of the sets of project files below have been imported into Recap 2016, version 2.0.1.5.

I am running a workstation class machine with 32gb of ram, SSD hard drive, K4000 video card with 1gb of onboard ram.  Both of my projects reside on the SSD.

Project Version 1 -  The full version of the scan project imported into Recap.  I have done virtually no editing of this Recap project.  No points have been deleted, no regions have been created.  This project loads very quickly and works great.  Opens quickly - a few seconds - and runs smooth.

Project Version 2 - The same project as above, copied to a new location.  The difference is that I used this version to clean up my scans.  I need to delete existing tanks, steam, piping, scaffolding, etc.  I've deleted about 75+ groups or selection sets of points, resulting in an approximate reduction of project size around 5%.  After doing these deletions I've found that it now takes 20 minutes or more just to load my Recap project.

It's possible that this is linked (or at least similar) to the issues with earlier versions of Recap that prevented users from deleting scan points.  It's almost as if Recap is keeping the deleted points in a cache and referring to or confirming that the points are still gone.  We can now delete points all we want, however, saving that project and opening on the next session is brutally slow.

I agree with what other users have said.  Autodesk is marketing this software with a hefty fee, yet the program still doesn't work or at the very least still has some significant bugs that are not being addressed.  Not something that we're accustomed to having to deal with in Autodesk products.

Message 11 of 54
richiee
in reply to: Bob_Lipchik

We definitely understand the frustration. You should find some relief in the next update.

Message 12 of 54
Bob_Lipchik

Thank you so much.  Any idea when that would be? Is it a hotfix or are we talking 2017 release.  I'm not sure I can stand this for THAT long!

Message 13 of 54
Flies-Eyes

Probably worth putting it to one side and re visiting the technology in a couple years.

Message 14 of 54
Bob_Lipchik
in reply to: Flies-Eyes

Maybe.  But definitely not worth the cost they're asking for it annually.

Message 15 of 54
richiee

We release monthly hotfixes, yes.

Message 16 of 54

I've been using the software for about a month and have seen the exact same thing as other users.

I only have 8 scans in this drawing and when first loading the project it comes up real fast. As time goes on though and I delete points and create regions (9 total) it gets worse and worse.

I am using two seperate computers in hopes of solving the issue, but I have came to the conclusion it is not the computer but its the software.

I have also maxed out the memory usage preference on both computers. One being 12.? something GIG the other being 24.? something GIG

Just today i got the autodesk fatal crash pop up after just trying to turn on one of my regions.

I am using version 2.0.1.5

Thanks in advance

Message 17 of 54

Message 18 of 54

After deleting the points, you could try
3a) exporting the result in a unified Recap file: one RCS.
3b) using save as to save the project in another location or another name.
then check if this save "purges" the deleted points and speeds up things again.
Message 19 of 54

I trialled both those suggestions without success.  I am thinking that when points are deleted or points filtered by regions it scrambles the data set which is what is making the files bog down.  I am sure they will find a solution eventually. 

Message 20 of 54
richiee
in reply to: Flies-Eyes

As Patrick mentioned, exporting and then opening the newly exported file (has to be the new one or you'll see no difference) will "bake-in" the deletes.

Regions and deletes aren't 'scrambling' the data, what they're doing is exponentially increasing the complexity of figuring out if any given point (in a project with millions and millions and millions of points) exists within any given region or delected area. (I'm not even going to lie to you and pretend to understand all of the mathematical complexities that this then creates.)

What I can tell you is two things:

1. The development team is still working on solving this issue the right way (performance has improved over the last several updates even though the issue hasn't yet been fully resolved, and there are other changes coming soon to help even more).

2. They all get an ear-load from me on a regular basis about this one and they'd love to shut me up about it... And they know that it will only happen when the issue is fixed once and for all.

At the moment, the export and re-open method is the only workaround, but that too will be changing shortly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report