Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photos to 3d model of indoor rock climbing wall.

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
541 Views, 1 Reply

Photos to 3d model of indoor rock climbing wall.

I'm working on a project where I take a series of photos of an indoor rock climbing wall and convert them to a 3d model.  

This will not be a 3d image with pictures take on all sides - it's just needs to be the surface of the wall - see example photos. --- I know that the software will need more and better pictures, but this gives you an idea of the project.

Is Recap a tool that is appropriate for this kind of job? If so will you give me a few pointers or areas I need to look into to in order to speed up this process?

Any information is helpful.

20190719_170240.jpg20190719_170247.jpg20190719_170257.jpg

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
koh.naimin
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi rylan,

Yes, you can use ReCap Photo for the capture of a facade.

Some things to note after studying your sample photos:

1) There is a lot of repeating patterns on your rock wall which will confuse the algorithms. (ie, the evenly distributed black dots on the wall.)

2) There is a lot of area without any features that help guide the algorithm to reconstruct correctly. (ie, the gray wall itself. The rock handle are ok though). You might want to consider adding some high-contrast marker/sticker onto these monotone area to help guide the algorithms.

3) You might have some difficulty getting a good shot from certain angles which might reduce the quality of the reconstruction. Try to achieve at least 75% overlap between photos and have more viewing angles of the wall for your difficult capture scenario.

Following these rules, you should be able to have a high quality reconstruction of the rock wall.

Thanks,

Naimin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report