Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to delete top scan location

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
LyleHardin
2027 Views, 17 Replies

Need to delete top scan location

Assembling a project with about 20 scans.

While registering, we realized the first, or top scan in one of the groups should not be in this scan model.

We cannot figure out how to delete it!

Hovering over any of the other scan locations provides an 'X' to delete the scan location. The top scan in the group does not provide this 'X'.

Any advice on how to delete this top or first scan location from the registration screen? 

Currently we are just redoing the project since it's only 20 scans, but we still would like to know how to get rid of that top scan location.

We can't even fake it to use the scan for the final indexing. It crashes before the indexing is done.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
vidanom
in reply to: LyleHardin

Hi,

I believe your first scan cannot be deleted from a registration group. You would have to un-register all of the scans in this group so you can delete the first one and to start a new registration group.

Since you can remove any other scans from a group I'm not sure why this is the case when it comes to the first scan.

I'll check with the engineering team who are all on mandatory week of rest, but I'll let them know as soon as they are back.

Thank you,

Mitko

Message 3 of 18
jmcbride
in reply to: vidanom

This is still the case and even worse is that the top level scan is placed there by ReCAP LATER in the registration process. It took a terrible scan, said "we found a match" the preview looked good so you accept. Then what happens when that scan becomes your primary scan location but its totally wrong and you can't remove it? I've got 50 or so scan totally registered. I added one scan (that was horribly wrong) and now I need to grenade the ENTIRE project to start over?

When thinking in complete loops and triangulation, this is a totally flawed way of thinking.

Message 4 of 18
vidanom
in reply to: jmcbride

Hi @jmcbride,

This makes complete sense. There shouldn't be any reason or technologycal limitation why you cannot remove the first scan later in the process. 

I'll let the team aware.

Thank you,

Mitko

Message 5 of 18
michael.riley

To remove the last scan of a group, switch to that group on the right side and then disband the group:

disband.PNG

Then go to the "?" group, which contains all unregistered scans, and delete the scan there.

Hope that helps.

-Michael

Message 6 of 18
mjames

Is this still an issue? I cannot delete the top scan and it's very frustrating. This has been a lingering issue for some time, it would be great if it was addressed.

Please enlighten me if i'm missing something. 

Message 7 of 18
michael.riley
in reply to: mjames

The post above yours outlines the workflow to delete the top scan of a group.  That group must first be disbanded, placing the scan in the "unregistered scans" group, from which it can be deleted.  No scans can be deleted when they are in groups - the "x" places them in the "unregistered scans" group.  I have accepted it as the solution for this thread.

-Michael

Message 8 of 18
jmcbride
in reply to: michael.riley

If it is the first scan, you cannot get it to go to the "?" area. This is why we say we have a problem with the first scan. You can delete any scan except the scan that is number 1.
Message 9 of 18
michael.riley

Ah, yes.  In that case, switch to a different group (or create a group temporarily using any scan in the "unregistered" group).  You can then disband the first group from the right panel.

Message 10 of 18
jmcbride

If you've already created an entire group and it automatically uses your last scan and places it in the first position, that isn't possible.
Message 11 of 18
michael.riley

In that case, you'll need to de-register the last scan of that group to use as the lone scan in a temporary "group 2" to make this process work.  It's an unfortunate workaround, but it should work.

Message 12 of 18
jmcbride

That's exactly what we all said. It's not a possible workaround when you have 150 scans already done and it throw's a rouge scan into position 1. We're asking for that to be fixed. Not for a workaround.
Message 13 of 18
michael.riley

I went back and saw your previous post about a rogue scan ending up in position 1.  Do you have any other details about when in your workflow that occurred?  That is a new one for me, and it isn't mentioned by others in this thread.

Message 14 of 18
amorap

The workaround that has been said could be useful.

Maybe it isnt neccesary register all your 150 scan locations again, maybe only one or two.

I suggest this way:

Suppose that  the name of first scan location  is "A", the one you want to be erased,

1- Create a new project in ReCap
2- Import a scan location other than "A", (the one you want to be erased). Set this scan location as your first register group.
3- Import your old project into the new one. Duplicated scan locations will not load (I think so, but if not, try to erase the scan location in the old project prior to import in the new one)
4- You can register the "old" project against the new first scan location. Since the "old" project and all their scan locations are already registered, it will be recognized as a registration group and then you will need only do a registration process: the whole group against your new first scan location.

regards from Spain.

Augusto Mora
Architect & teacher of Building Projects at CPIFP Pirámide. Huesca (Spain).
Revit 2014 certified profesional.
Message 15 of 18
usamah.hayes
in reply to: amorap

In order to delete the top scan in  group of scans do the following:

1. Complete registration.
  2. Left click on the Navigator in the lower right-hand corner.
  3. Expanded the list of scans.
  4. Left click on the X that is on the right side of the scan location that you are trying to delete.

Here is the back story as to why I needed to delete the scan location in the first place:

I had to scan the complete level of a building on 2 different days with 2 different scanners and 2 different tripods of varying heights and 2 different iPads which means I wound up creating 2 different projects (1 for each day).  Singularly both projects seemed to be fine, but once I combined the 2 projects the first scan of 1 of the projects set my 1st group of scans so that the Mirror Balls appeared to be in the ceiling.  Once I viewed the project in 3D view I could see that only 1 of the scan locations was the root of the issue and it just so happened to be the top scan location (Murphy's law), hence the steps that I mentioned above in order to get rid of the top scan.  I should also mention that this was done using the desktop version of Recap rather than the iPad version of the app, I hope that this helps. 

Message 16 of 18
Rob-BIM-Grant
in reply to: vidanom

Mitko,  this remains an ongoing problem... and unfortunately, based on the suggested solution, i'm going to have to disband a group of 25 scans just so that i can remove the top one?!? Why is that?

Also, I REALLY wish there was a way to maintain the groups once all the scans are combined into one registered scan. For some reason, when i registered a scan from group 2 with a scan from group 1, ALL of my scans from group 2 went along (so far so good right?!?) but for some wonky reason, the whole thing is REALLY askew in some wild angles, and now i have to remove each individual scan from group 2 and start that one over.
The lack of an "undo" is 1 thing. But the lack of maintaining (and subsequently managing) groups seems frustrating.

Not to pile on, but sometimes, when i go to remove a scan, it will say "this is tied to the following scans"... is there a way to know that BEFORE trying to remove one? Can this be shown somehow?

Many thanks!

Message 17 of 18
leo.sprinzen

July 8th 2021, this is still an issue. I have to disband 60 or so scans. Very frustrating. 

Message 18 of 18
AGParsons
in reply to: leo.sprinzen

March 31, 2022 This still has not been solved and I am going to have to reregister 180 scans to delete the first one!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report