Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export is painfully slow

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
3940 Views, 14 Replies

Export is painfully slow

What this application (Recap) wheeeee.... now I see why they call em "apps" in 'World Subscription (aka, perpetual bug fixes)' ... needs,

is very simple.

A 'progress bar' for the 9% mark on the main progress bar.

Nice goin' Adesk.

Would you like to also come by the office some time and take my first born child while your tanking any hopes of providing for his/her proper education?

And silly me, I though an i7 and 64gb's was gonna be enough hardware.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Beautiful. (elevated level of sarcasm here)

Seriously. In Win7 Task Manager, the CPU has been locked on 12-13 for 45 minutes and there is no apparent activity. The Recap progress bar took less than 40 seconds to reach the 9% Mark. And after staring at that 9% for 45 minutes, wouldn't it be nice (more humane, professional, moral, and NWOish) to give people some idea how long certain file sizes, of which types, are going to take. Or how dramatically a given point cloud will need to be reduced prior to processing.

I thought that was Recap' primary function. To make these files (eg., LAS) more manageable for Civ3D, etc..

I cannot imagine it would take more than 2 or 3 hundred additional Adesk caliber engineers to code in a more intelligent looking progress bar.

This is too funny.

Okay. So finally (note: Recap Export Status Bar still at tada 9% an hour in) at present (did I say an hour in yet) my CPU and Recap appear to have rubbed two sticks together and rustled up a pulse. The i7 - as shown in TaskMgr (bottom status bar) - is spiking to as high as 71% but mostly wavering between RAM usage of only an average of 16%.

Bingo. And. Now. Get this. On TMgr's Application Tab, 'Recap' just did something I have never seen. It actually went "not responding" and then Win 7 allowed Recap to resume its "Running" status. That might have been a little scarier had I checked in on Day 4 of this Recap "Export" and got lucky enough to observe that 20 second long indicator.

Help me get my feet wet here people.

Granted this is an LAS file, plus image files. The area I donwloaded from a USGS project dataset was first selected/cropped to approx. 16 sq miles. I beleive the diectory had four layers. I did not pick and choose layers. I used the dumbed own option to throw the whole directroy of of USGS sub folders at it.

Used Recap to crop that down to approx 4 sq miles.

Note: Speaking for myself, I would be a lot less miffed if the Adesk help page for Recap was at least a few notches "less" dumbed down than the application's - excuse me - app's UI.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous

Somebody just lend me a clue as to how many days this might take to hit 10% or whether I should abort this Recap Export. The other thing that sucks is that Recap gives no clear options - despite the ape-simple UI - as to how many layers result from the Export. This is not "exporting". A better word would be "pre-processing".

And ******. This progress bar is a joke.

Message 4 of 15
Bob_Lipchik

@Anonymous wrote:
Somebody just lend me a clue as to how many days this might take to hit 10% or whether I should abort this Recap Export. 

You asked for a clue so I'll give you a clue.  It takes a LONG LONG LONG time.  Be patient.  Maybe kick it off and go home for the night.  Watching the status bar is frustrating, confusing and a waste of time.  Recap will also show "not responding" sometimes.  Seriously, don't watch it.  You'll be better off mentally if you just leave.  The other day I was exporting a Recap project that contained about 50 scans to a unified RCS.  Two hours in I still hadn't hit 1%.  I went to bed.  It was finished in the morning no problems.

I'll also give you a tip that comes from experience.......Recap hangs and sits for a long time at the 8% or 9% mark (I can't remember which).  Be patient.

With all that being said, check out your disk space if you think it's all locked up.  Conventional wisdom would say that if you're creating a 25gb unified RCS file that  you would need about 25gb of free disk space.  Not true.  During the export process Recap creates a Temp folder in your destination folder (where you're telling it to save the exported file) that is much, much larger than your final export.  I've filled up my drive before which causes Recap to crash or stall.  Then, this Temp folder is still there with tens of GB's of junk data that you have to delete.

Conventional wisdom would also say that doing all of this work on an SSD would greatly improve your speed.  Not so.  I've found that doing this export function on my SSD vs. a standard spinning HD gains me nothing.  But then of course, it takes so long anyway that maybe it's a tad bit faster, I don't know.  If you're doing a function that takes 10 hours and cutting it down to 8 or 9 hours are you really going to notice?  Probably not.

Good luck, we're all counting on you.

Message 5 of 15
michael.riley

@Anonymous

There are a few things that we can check to get started.

1. Can you give an estimate of how large your initial imported file was?
  2. Is your computer set to go to sleep after a period of time?  We noticed recently that export doesn't prevent the machine from going to sleep, which is likely the cause for some of the very long exports that some users have reported.
  3. How long has it been exporting so far (and what percent is it at now)?

Thanks,

Michael

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: michael.riley

Here is something else we "could" check:

Get the page for the update versions organized enough to include instructions and guidance for Version 1.5.0.33 that was compiled into the current Media Kit product.

Just another of the many oversights which come back to make these thread jam up Adesks internet feeds slower than every other major corporation save for Adobe.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

@michael.riley

Sure, Mike. I’ll humor you. Even though you are not permited to advise us we are all non-paid, non-reimbursed Beta testers.

The “export” appears to have completed at some point during the end of the 2nd hour.

That is to say, at least the Suzy Homemaker progress bar was no longer open.

[Update: Two hours later I would find the Autodesk Recap Error Report window buried under seven Firefox windows (7 tabs each) I had open by then in my effort to find a decent instruction page online. Unfortunately, most of the help that might be helpful is in bandwidth-sucking video form. Another troubling trend in the whiz bang boom, paperless - add to that, “writer-less” - software industry.

No files were saved to the default Temp File Location folder.

Readers will note this does not infer that Recap offers users any actual ability to change the default folder by using Recap’s Options.

Since Recap provides no feedback on file sizes - neither the original extents’ file-size nor the edited (cropped) extents’ file size, this would be a little difficult to provide to you. You have used Recap before I presume. So why are you asking that?

I can tell you that the original LAS file, before cropping off 12 sq miles of 16 sq mile area, was

1.32Gb.

To be clear, the operation did not succeed.

And no, haha, I did not make the mistake and follow the juvenile prevailing advice of leaving the operation unattended (to go play a round of golf or go surfing or taking care of any of a hundred other things I would do if this software could be relied upon. No. I baby sat the thing the entire time. And there was no feedback visible. Recap simply crashed and sent the Crash Report window quietly to the bottom of the Window stack.

The machine was never allowed to go into standby or sleep mode. So let me ad that one to my list of the 50 fluffin things users are supposed to remember to reap all of the cutting edge technology of Autodesk Recap.

This of course is all very convenient to Autodesk. It follows the pattern of how Adesk’s and Adobe’s biz model agendas, of adding insult to injury where the value of users’ time is concerned. Not to mention how insluting this thread is, in and of itself. How old is this thread now?

People WILL note how long this thread has gone on with the same old shuck and jive of people in your “role” pretending to provide personal support to (stroking and diverting) everyone who runs into this nonsense.

Adesk primary documentation is so poorly written and so poorly organized. It substitutes a maze of - again overly simple, dumbed down lazy - pages, each with links to sub-topic pages that are just as shabby and simple, and dumbed down and slick. Many of those pages include links back to the original page. None of the support pages linking to each other, not a one, was written by competent writers trained in the skill of eliminating all possible misinterpretations and mistakes.

For example. My version of Recap is 1.5.0.33. But…

Go to the Adesk Help Page for the myriad update versions and you will not find any option for version 1.5.0.33. On that page there are also no clear instructions on whether the various Hot Fixes or Update options, if one dares to experiment, will or won’t require that the 2016 Media Kit version (1.5.0.33) of Recap, should first be uninstalled.

As far as I can see, the Recap UI provides no means for determining what the sizes of the files are, before or after a polygonal selection (cropping - my term) has been completed.

The original size of the LAS file was 1.32Gb (1,318,935Kb).

From the overly simple, dumbed down, icon-based (rolls eyes) Recap UI, I have not idea whether to suggest the file to be processed (post narrowing the target area) would have been equal to the 25% of that LAS file’s original 1.32Gb’s.

I think I deleted the 12 sq miles I did not need. Or whether that was rudely dumped into some obscure default Adesk cache or temp file someplace as others have alluded to.

…………………………………………..

Note: The nature of my company’s product/service requires the ability to study the terrain available to a customer. That is up close (with LiDAR accuracy) for purposes of determining best installation sites, sites which will typicaly come in at around 100 acres.

……………………………………………

Michael. The questions you asked are fairly pedantic since you should first have asked me which version I was running.

I am not sure that the file size matters. After an additional 90 minute goose chase I stumbeld onto the news that Adesk shipped me a Media Kit with a version of Recap that is known to fail.

Perhaps you would be kind enough to post a sticky about the 2016 Media Kit’s version of Recap. Namely, the ever so elusive, version 1.5.0.33, nobody bothered to update and reburn to the factory USB stick.

Perhaps you could recommend whether I need to uninstall before running the latest version 2.0.5.whateverthehellitis this week.

Hugs and kisses,

James

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

Sorry. I just couldn't decide on which Smiley or sets of 2"x2" I C O N S  that would convey those concepts quite as precisely. LOL.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

Michael.

Was just experimenting with the tool for Modifying the Limit Box on the Region I'd defined.

Being unfamiliar with the UI - I don't know if this matters but - the Limit Box was allowing for a Sub-Surface depth of like 8000'. Since I have no intention of using the data for drilling or mining (barring the modern new Adesk competency drives me to it), I cut (raised) that Sub-Surface "floor", "bottom extent" if you will, 8000' to approx. 2400'.   

Even though the point cloud shows no graphical indication of depth to the surface I have selected.

Obviously in C3D I will have more control over filtering out the points. And eventually focusing in (reducing the files size(s) on smaller final project acreage, in advance of modeling in 3DS Max.

What bytes is I am on a Satellite connection. Between Adobe and Adesk updates to subscription-ware, and the trend toward providing the only clear help via video, our alloted monthly bandwidth, beyond the shared access cap, weighs in at a lovely $10 per Gig.

And before you ask, due to intellectual property rights concerns, no. I am not likely to provide remote sharing of our machine and the installation, or any such experiments at my expense. Not without being compensated for at least some of these inconveniences.

Sorry, M. You, or someone mentioned HD free space.

I have to say, it was until these subscription models came of age that users were required to install all of these applications to the Boot drive.

This list of things Adesk managers are failing to address would make a fine thread indeed.

Message 10 of 15
michael.riley

James,

The latest version is 2.2 and is available from here:

http://www.autodesk.com/products/recap/download

I recommend trying that first.  More information about this release is on the forum here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/recap-general-discussion/recap-2-2-release-notes/td-p/5892916

Thanks,

Michael

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous

Michael,

Thank you.

Does uninstalling version 1.5.0.33 beforehand go without saying?

And is there any way to know ahead of time how large the download will be?

JK

Message 12 of 15
michael.riley

The new verison will prompt to uninstall 1.5 if it is still present.  The 2.2 installer is just under 1GB in size.

-Michael

Message 13 of 15
Tubular.Drawings

HI All, can anyone tell me if this "stalling out" crashing has been updated in newer releases?  Ive been trying to make a recap clip/export for over 4 hours now and the program has crashed several times @ 58% or stal out entirely at 58%... Quite frutsrating trying to work with a program so finiky and fussy as this one... any advice would be great  

Message 14 of 15
yan.fu
in reply to: Tubular.Drawings

Hi @Tubular.Drawings ,

Sorry for the inconvenience it caused for you!

Could you let us know some information about your project and the ReCap version?

If it is possible, could you share with us your project for the dev team to look into this issue?

Thanks,

Yan

Message 15 of 15
Wynand_Louw_Aranzu

Hi, It took my PC now 5h 20 min to export a PTS from 7 combined RCP files. Final PTS size 470Gb. While saving the drive usage never went above 2% and ram at 25%. So it should actually be able to go much-much faster. So what is throttling it? Is there a remedy for this?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report