Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collaborators for my Scion FRS Project?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
koryhall.dfs
228 Views, 3 Replies

Collaborators for my Scion FRS Project?

Hello everyone!

I am extremely confident in saying that I am the least educated member to ever venture into the Autodesk Universe. I am currently working on creating a 360 degree mesh of my current car, the Scion FRS. I have a few custom modifications to my car that no other Scion FRS owners possess. I am absolutely determined to create a model that I can use for the Autodesk Flowdesign application. I am trying to create an exact mesh of my car via ReCap360 so that I can use the model in Flowdesign and ensure that my modifications to my car are truly functional aerodynamically.

Are there any saints out there willing to collaborate with me and help me to create a mesh that I can use for my aerodynamic study? 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
vidanom
in reply to: koryhall.dfs

Hi @koryhall.dfs,

We are here to assist you!

Capturing cars with photogrammetry is extremely hard because of the shinny surfaces, but it's defensively not impossible.

Here is one great article about best practices and which camera settings work in different scenarios with our photo-to-3d service.

In general, try by using around 80 images, from one height level and with one loop around the car, while keeping the entire object in your picture frame. 

See if the lightning is not too bright, because that will increase the reflection on the car, which will probably create some distortions with your final model.

Even though cars are hard to capture, we have seen many good examples. 

All Best,

Mitko

Message 3 of 4
koryhall.dfs
in reply to: koryhall.dfs

Thank you so much Mitko! That information was very helpful.

I do have an idea for improving the success of capturing a shiny object, like a car, that I would like to run by you and get your opinion.

What if I were to lay many pieces of masking tape in a symmetrical pattern on the surface of my car, almost like a grid or a mesh. Do you think this would help to improve the capture quality of my shiny car?
Message 4 of 4

spray it with a mixture of baby powder or cornstarch and water.

they are demoing this today at spar.

https://www.laserscanningforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=11485&start=10

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report