Previous Version Support
Welcome to Autodesk’s Previous Version Support Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore Previous Version Support topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class Action Law Suit against Autodesk

58 REPLIES 58
Reply
Message 1 of 59
habibRYFBP
7026 Views, 58 Replies

Class Action Law Suit against Autodesk

Any on going Class Action Law Suit against Autodesk because AutoDesk is locking longtime users out of their old AutoCad versions in order to force them to rent AutoDesk's newer products?  I hope the forum managers do not delete this post.  It seems that they deleted my previous post.  

Here is an example with  Microsoft: 

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-should-pay-damages-for-forced-windows-10-update-say-finns/

58 REPLIES 58
Message 2 of 59
RobDraw
in reply to: habibRYFBP

Better get your facts straight before starting that lawsuit. They are not locking out anyone. They discontinued support a long time ago. Reactivations are just now being stopped due to a third party basically discontinuing support for their license servers. How's that for irony?


Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 3 of 59
habibRYFBP
in reply to: RobDraw

Why does my software require a activation code. I already fully own it.  When I use the one I have been given is not working and is asking me to contact AutoDesk. AutoDesk is willing to give a code but the life of my AutoCad is linked to the life of my device.  As I was told even a slight overnight update of my OS will make the software stop working.  I believe it is clear that AutoDesk is stopping my software from working.  I own this software and I should not need an activation code when change devices.

 

Microsoft has very likely produced more software than AutoDesk did. I do have many Microsoft Software. Although Microsoft has discontinued support for some releases of Word and Excel, users are still allowed to use their old versions of the software. As an example, when you start an old version of Word or Excel, Microsoft will gently suggest that you use their newer version but you can simply decline the request and continue using your old version. You are not asked for any serial number, authorization code, activation code, or activation code request. So this is just a clear instance showing that AutoDesk is fraudulently holding users' duly purchased licenses. There is no place for this kind of behavior in the market place or in the technological support standards.

Message 4 of 59
habibRYFBP
in reply to: habibRYFBP

 :  ".......... Reactivations are just now being stopped due to a third party basically discontinuing support for their license servers. .............".  I get you but, a third party stopping their service to AutoDesk does not explain users losing access to the software they paid thousands of dollars for.  Why not eliminate activation codes all together for older versions.  I use outdated Microsoft software.  I am not required to update them.
 
Message 5 of 59

Hi,

 

>> Why not eliminate activation codes all together for older versions

It would be possible if everyone in the world would be honourable and pay for each license he uses.

Sorry to say, around the world for each license sold multiple licenses are installed as crack (depending on type of software it might be a factor of 2-3, but also have seen statistics with factor > 10).

 

>> Why does my software require a activation code. I already fully own it

Just to make sure that a user does not use it more often (parallel) than he bought number of licenses.

 

>> I use outdated Microsoft software.  I am not required to update them.

Why have you then updated (looking to your other post)? If you would not have updated the OS for your AutoCAD 2006 it would not have stopped working.

 

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 6 of 59
RobDraw
in reply to: habibRYFBP


@habibRYFBP wrote:
 :  ".......... Reactivations are just now being stopped due to a third party basically discontinuing support for their license servers. .............".  I get you but, a third party stopping their service to AutoDesk does not explain users losing access to the software they paid thousands of dollars for.  Why not eliminate activation codes all together for older versions.  I use outdated Microsoft software.  I am not required to update them.
 

 

You need to talk to someone who actually knows about this stuff. Your barking up the wrong tree posting here. The Previous Version Support forum is where you should be. There are others like you posting over there and you can also find several posts from Autodesk about this. 


Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 7 of 59

Re: Class Action Law Suit against Autodesk

"Hi,

 

>> Why not eliminate activation codes all together for older versions

It would be possible if everyone in the world would be honourable and pay for each license he uses.

Sorry to say, around the world for each license sold multiple licenses are installed as crack (depending on type of software it might be a factor of 2-3, but also have seen statistics with factor > 10).

 

>> Why does my software require a activation code. I already fully own it

Just to make sure that a user does not use it more often (parallel) than he bought number of licenses.

 

>> I use outdated Microsoft software.  I am not required to update them.

Why have you then updated (looking to your other post)? If you would not have updated the OS for your AutoCAD 2006 it would not have stopped working.

 

- alfred -"

 

1) on your first point:  So your conclusion is that the honorable be punished because there are some dishonorable among us.  That is very strange

2) On your second point: Yes there are individuals who game the system. Again insurance providers do not stop insurance service in general because some individuals might game the system.  Emergency rooms do not stop operating because there many who go to the emergency room because they do not have insurance.  So punishing legitimate owners and users of AutoCad because others may hack it is just unjust and illegal. I do not work with anyone else.  I work alone.  Not that, that will be obvious to you, but if the software (with serial#)  is being used simultaneous on two different computers this can be detected by Autodesk. Since the software in my experience requires  to make a web contact with Autodesk before it starts, when you say "no" the software stops working so if two copies contact autodesk at the same time (with same serial#) that will certainly be detected.  My software was always be registered with AutoDesk. 

 

 

3) on your Third point:  I do not seek to update AutoCad.  As you are well aware Microsoft updates the OS with patches very often for security and other reasons. The AutoDesk staff made it clear that even those small OS patches will make the software stop.  he asked me to set my computer not to allow updates, essentially stop those OS updates.  So why in the world would anyone stop security updates and be vulnerable to malware because AutoDesk does not like? 

Message 8 of 59
RobDraw
in reply to: habibRYFBP


@habibRYFBP wrote:
 

So why in the world would anyone stop security updates and be vulnerable to malware because AutoDesk does not like? 


 

There is not any reason to do that. In your other post you said that you were in contact with Autodesk and they said they could give you an activation code and warned you not to update the computer. You can do that and keep your outdated software running as long as you can keep that machine running. They've given you one last chance that I haven't heard of anyone getting until now. I would grab that offer if I were you. You may not get another chance to keep your program running. That lawsuit could take years for a settlement that might not include the continued use of your license. 


Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 9 of 59
habibRYFBP
in reply to: RobDraw

Yes you ,may be right but life will improve if you just let these corporations do improper things to you, with that offer you have to keep your computer obsolete too.  You need to have a dedicated computer to AutoCad, no OS updates and that computer has to live for ever which is unheard of.  So I decided not to take it because I will be at the same place or even worst place a few years from not because I did not speak up early enough.  I absolutely see your point.

Message 10 of 59
RobDraw
in reply to: habibRYFBP

Thank you!


Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 11 of 59
cadffm
in reply to: habibRYFBP

1) Thats the only reason why software has serialnumbers , license checks and more.

 

2) Please take more time to think about it.

If your PC crashs, you are the first who will install and use the program on another PC.

How should Adesk know about true or lie?

It is another PC, but the same SerialNo / already registered..

And PS: It is possible to have ONE SerialNo for 10 or more Licenses/Seats.

Your view is just to short for some things.

And: There are not problems with few people, if Autocad would run with just to know a serialnumber (and an Activationcode independed from OS and Hardware),

I am sure just 1% would pay for it, instead of 10-40% now (i just took the %numbers from Alfred post)

 

3.) OS is not a problem.

Supported OS in the past for your Version is no longer supported (MS),

so there don't comes any updates..

And please tell my nothing about not supported OS, i mean OS where your product wasn't designed for.

That would really self made problem, not ours.

 

÷

But i am totally on your side!

 

Now start to understand: Autodesk didn't stop anything except the online activation in your case.

The support guy offers the activation code, thats really good and it's what you need.

 

^

- Sebastian -
Message 12 of 59
habibRYFBP
in reply to: cadffm

I am not sure that I understood what you are saying but I am certain that AutoDesk will know which serial# is allowed to have 10 seats and which serial# is allowed to have only one seat.  That is pretty easy to decipher.  Tech companies always send emails to account holders when they detect that an account has been access with another device which is different from the one the account holder usually uses, to make sure you are the same person using that device.  Can't AutoDesk do the same thing. There are very easy ways to figure this out without penalizing legitimate software owners and users. I just do not want to be sitting there with the anxiety that my AutoCad can go out any time especially with as simple an updates as a security update if I take the offer given.  or when my device is too old to run and I have to get a new one. Moving on to another software that does not create those headaches will be preferable to that, in my opinion

Message 13 of 59

Hi,

 

>> So your conclusion is that the honorable be punished

>> because there are some dishonorable among us. 

>> That is very strange

Do you lock your car when you park it anywhere in the city ... should I say now "strange"

Please don't ignore reality.

 

>> So why in the world would anyone stop security updates and

>> be vulnerable to malware because AutoDesk does not like?

You are running an operating system that no one had an idea about in the year 2005. Now you are expecting that this old software should already know which types of hardware, drivers, id's inside your machine has 15 years later. That can't work, and the longer you are updating the operating system again and again you will risk again that AutoCAD can't start.

In general it is not a good idea to run 15 year old software on a current operating system (or vice versa), the same way as it is not well working if you change the engine of a Ford Mustang and instead let the car be pulled by a horse (or build in a 500hp engine into a 150 year old horse carriage, no one will do that, why then with software)?

 

That's why I gave the tip with the virtual system, which would be stable, but you simply ignored that.

 

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 14 of 59
RobDraw
in reply to: habibRYFBP

Have you been to the Previous Version Support forum yet?

 

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/previous-version-support/bd-p/6051


Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 15 of 59
pendean
in reply to: habibRYFBP

>> Why does my software require a activation code. I already fully own it

Sadly you do not own any software from any software vendor: you only own a license to use it as long as they (Autodesk here) allows its activation.

 

Do yourself a big favor: go talk to Legal counsel that is software licensing savvy.  And enjoy the trip.

 

 

Message 16 of 59

I did not ignore your suggestion. .I did post that the virtual box was a possibility but I cannot find the post anymore. It was perhaps deleted.  I was asking about how to proceed with the virtual box.  I spent last night trying to find your post and was hoping that you would answer my question about the virtual box but I could not find either one of them.

Message 17 of 59

Hi,

 

>> I spent last night trying to find your post

>>>click<<<

 

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 18 of 59

Alfred,

Could you please explained to me the process of installing the virtual box and installing AutoCad in it. I will really appreciate it. Thank you again

Message 19 of 59

Hi,

 

please understand that this is not an Oracle VirtualBopx forum.

The general steps are:

  • download and install Oracle VirtualBox from >>>here<<<
  • start VirtualBox, use "Machine" => "New" to create your virtual system
    • select Windows 7
    • give that system at least 4GB memory (depending on your projects more if necessary)
    • create a virtual harddisk (type "VDI" in the next step of the wizard, then "dynamically allocated")
  • You are now able to start the system by selecting your machine in the VirtualBox Manager
    • at the first start it gives you the option to show a drive with your Windows 7 operating system to install it.
  • Now you have a separate system you can start with Oracle VirtualBox manager and install your AutoCAD

 

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 20 of 59

Thanks Alfred.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity


Autodesk Design & Make Report