Fusion 360 Preview Functionality
We’re talking the latest Previews. Love it? On the fence? Want to access? Discuss here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to sign up for Preview Technology (ARCHIVED)

111 REPLIES 111
SOLVED
Message 1 of 112
promm
8052 Views, 111 Replies

How to sign up for Preview Technology (ARCHIVED)

Thank you for your interest in helping us develop the tools for the future of design to manufacturing.  Technology previews gather customer feedback around business goal/objectives that the new functionality intends to solve, while the development approaches release.  Each preview will start with a small group of users invited, and we’ll continue to expand based off feedback and community interest.  The information you provide will be used to ensure we’re reaching our target audience, gathering feedback from diverse backgrounds and experience levels.

Please respond to this thread with the following details and you’ll be added to the list of users we pull from with each new preview:

• Previous CAD experience.
  • What do you typically model / design?
  • What about the technology preview got your interest?
  • How do you believe the feature / function that is being previewed will improve your workflow?

This part is important - there is no guarantee that the models you make now will function properly once the preview technology is fully released.  Please consider this when utilizing your time testing this functionality.

Labels (1)
111 REPLIES 111
Message 61 of 112
promm
in reply to: CarlFrischmuth

@CarlFrischmuth,

There is an option when you post (email me when someone replies) as seen in the image below.  If you forgot to do this or would like to stop getting the emails you can unsubscribe under options.

Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 3.57.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 4.01.12 PM.png

Cheers,

Mike Prom

Message 62 of 112
promm
in reply to: promm

Thank you everyone who has responded to this thread for your interest is sheet metal.  I have added you to my list of users who are willing to spend some time using the new sheet metal functionality.  Each week I will be adding more people from my list to our limited preview based off of the current testers feedback.  Once you get added you will receive an email giving more details.

Cheers,

Mike Prom

Message 63 of 112
CarlFrischmuth

thanks Mike!

Cheers

Carl

Message 64 of 112
davis.corbin

• I've been using Solidworks, and less recently Rhino. Both very important tools for me as a Product Designer.

Products! Large, small, mechanical, static. All sort of products, specifically consumer based.

Sheet metal is important for creating parts within a family of products that are interchangeable. Sheet metal is something that is also nice to use for furniture design.

• How do you believe the feature / function that is being previewed will improve your workflow?

Creating patterned surface that can be bent or warped and manipulated, especially in terms of seat pans and chair brackets, will speed up the process to get plans to a manufacturer!

Message 65 of 112
michallach81

-Previous CAD/CAM/DCC experience.
Rhino 3D, Solidworks, Onshape, V-Crave, CorelDraw, Photoshop, Sketchbook.

-What do you typically model / design?
Retail equipment (POS displays, shop fittings, signage, BTL)

-What about the technology preview got your interest?
Browser Access and Sheet Metal

-How do you believe the feature / function that is being previewed will improve your workflow?
For SM the reasons are similar to @clickdraw has, it's common and very useful to design part made of foldable materials (sheets of plastics) with the use of SM modules, to get both 3D model and flat pattern at the same time.
Eventually, I would like to switch to Linux over Windows for my personal use, browser access is the only way. I would like to know if such workflow is feasible for me.

Michał Lach
Designer
co-author
projektowanieproduktow.wordpress.com

Message 66 of 112
maxphotos

• Previous CAD experience. A couple of years with Inventor, trough a Virtual Machine as I'm working on Mac.
  • What do you typically model / design? Basically simple parts, both plastic, and metal even if my field is more on plastic materials.
  • What about the technology preview got your interest? Everything ! I'm deadly curious and interested in following globally the development of Fusion 360 as it will allow me to get rid of the Virtual Machine, which is actually using 50% of the hardware resources (RAM included !).
  • How do you believe the feature / function that is being previewed will improve your workflow? Working with Virtual Machine is possible and not difficult. However you loose a lot of hardware resources, some lag is always present and Inventor is not really "fluid " to use. The direct approach on Mac, with Fusion 360, leaves me my whole 32 Gb or RAM, graphich card and CPU available for what I'm doing... Honestly I haven't yet got familiar with the JOIN function in Fusion and I somehow miss the standard Inventor approach. That's only my fault, not yet understood and exercised properly with Fusion 360 join stuff...
  • Thanks..
Message 67 of 112
markdweiser

Rhino, Solidworks, Inventor, onShape
  • What do you typically model / design
    It varies a lot. But the stuff I enjoy to model the most is 3D printed houseware goods and sheet metal goods like coat hangers. 
    Sheet Metal! I really would like to stick to Fusion since it's my current favorite modeling software...but I need to use Solidworks for this. Patiently waiting!
    It will allow me to do basically everything I need to on my MacBook without switching over to Windows for sheet metal.
Tags (1)
Message 68 of 112
npolanosky

Excellent, I look forward to hearing from you and being able to try out the new features (And hopefully give lots of useful feedback as well)

Message 69 of 112
dbigham

I have two seats and would like to preview the sheetmetal functionality.

I have 20 years experience in architectural sheetmetal design and manufacturing using both Solid Edge and Solidworks.

I am designing and creating manufacturing drawing for architectural special metals and other product design projects.

I have been waiting to preview the sheetmetal capabilities since reviewing Fusion as 90% of my work uses sheetmetal parts.

I won't know until I have a chance to try a few parts to test the work flow and how I might be able to streamline production of manufacturing drawing and flat patterns which often require making repetitive copies of parts and making changes to the models and updating forming drawings quickly.

Thank you for your consideration. 

Regards,

David Bigham

MetalOx Design

Message 70 of 112
ben.drexl

Previous CAD experience?

• Started Fusion 360 in December, FreeCAD being the first parametric modeling app I've used.
  • Many years of experience 3D poly modeling for VFX & previs.
  • Lots of pen-and-paper traditional product design.

What do you typically model / design?

• Consumer-focused gadgets; furniture; enclosures; custom keyboard accessories.

What about the technology preview got your interest?

• A key component in my next design must be formed from bent aluminum sheet - I'd love to accomplish this accurately and without leaving the Fusion environment, especially since I don't currently have any other software to fall back on for this requirement.

How do you believe the feature / function that is being previewed will improve your workflow?

• I have no established workflow, so this preview will enable me to develop the toolpaths for this component with confidence. This would also keep all my work within the Fusion/Autodesk Cloud environment, which is a huge help in the makerspace where this will be produced.
  • Regarding the last point, I have no problem re-creating work that may become unusable in the future, so long as I have a chance to create it in the first place 🙂
Message 71 of 112
alexjandro

• Experiencia CAD anterior.

- He utilizado los siguientes programas cad: Autocad 2d/3d, Autocad Inventor, Sketchup, Nano Cad, DesignSpark, Via Punch, Lbre Cad 2d, Qcad... Se que he trabajado con algunos mas.

Con el programa que mas he trabajado a sido con Freecad durante 4 años.

• ¿Qué es lo que normalmente modelo / diseño?

Varias cosa en parametrico. Cosas como carcasas para modulos electronicos, Herramientas como soportes de otras herramientas, Productos ya contruidos. Los dibujo para hacer foto realismo con ellos y hacer presentaciones digitales, Piezas imprimidas que me pide la gente.

Yo me muevo en un ambiente casero.

• ¿Qué pasa con la muestra de tecnología tiene su interés?

Realmente mi herramienta de trabajo es Freecad (Modelado 3d parametrico), Siempre he tenido mucha curiosidad por encontrar la herramienta perfecta para mi y la encontre (Autocad Inventor)

mi problema es que no estaba dispuesto a emplear una herramienta de forma ilegal ya que no puedo pagar la suscripcion.y encontré Fusion 360.

Un programa con todo en uno, como Autocad Inventor(2d, 3d, parametrico, animacion, simulacion, render, mesh, sheet metal... y con muchas mas herramientas.

Mi problema en económico...

Así que al encontrar Fusion 360 se me ilumino el camino ya que puedo pagar una suscripción mensual con acceso al programa. Y me encanta el concepto online/offline y la fusion de las herramientas y para poder llevar acabo mis pequeños trabajos y ahorrar mucho tiempo el probar y utilizar las futuras caracteristicas como sheet metal me vendría genial.

• ¿Cómo cree que la característica / función que está siendo vista previa va a mejorar su flujo de trabajo?

Diseños que suelo hacer como plegados en chapa, cajas de cartón, cajas imprimidas en 3d. La Función sheet metal me ayudaría plasmando mis idean en mucho menos tiempo y ayudándome diseñando de otro modo. Me encanta el poder probar las futuras herramientas. Gracias equipo Fusion 360.

Message 72 of 112
daniel_lyall

Vectric products V carve pro, cut2D, photo vcarve, Sketchup, Artcam and quite a few others

Furniture, cabinet making, advertising products, signs Disability aides, wheelchair manual and electric addon's  

Having a browser based cad program so I have the ability to pull my phone out or tablet and wack out a ruff model of something for a Disabled person or a sign, cabinet what ever easily in front of the person anywhere.

Make it easier to get stuff done where there is only cellphone coverage and no internet (we have 4G and fast internet in NZ)

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 73 of 112
ali.hamzah

Hi ,

• I used NX Siemens for 15 years, Solidworks for 7 years, Inventor for 3 years, Alias for 1 year.
    • Product Design, Mold Design, Industrial Machinery
    • now I'm very interested in reviewing the new sheet metal capabilities
    • very interested in the upcoming Eagle ECAD release
    • I tried to replace Solidworks with Fusion 360, and sheet metal feature will be one of the reason to move from SW to F360....

Best Regards,

Ali

Message 74 of 112
samiGHZZS

Hello promm

My name is Sami.

I an a new to CAD, only about 2 years experience mostly in Fusion 360 and pen and paper.  However I have about 20+ year experience in designing software and user experiences.  

i design part for my son seating, wheelchair, and other accessibility needs.  

I have lost of user experience/software testing in my background.  I am not a pro at CAD and while at the surface this makes me seem like the wrong candidate to test, i do not bring a lot of other perspectives to the table, it will either work or not for me, it will either flow or not.

in terms of sheet metal in particular, the functionality will allow me to expand my designs and allow me to make more complex shapes out of flat stock.  my most pressing need is a chip tray for new cnc mill.  most mills are not accessible via wheelchair so i am having to design a stand and chip tray.  

Message 75 of 112
mickingaamco

I'd like to use the sheet metal modeler. I have more than 30 years experience with 3d cad, including 8 years with ProE, where I used the sheet metal modeler. Let me know how I can contribute to the Fusion development for sheet metal.

Message 76 of 112
SEIZMICdesign

• Previous CAD experience: Started out in Rhino/Alias in school ('05-'07). After graduation naturally started looking for free options & stumbled across Blender. Used that for a few years until I finally landed my first full time gig in 2010. They were using Rhino at the time, but we eventually transitioned to SolidWorks. By the time I landed my new job last May I had found Fusion, and so far I love it. Sheet metal has been on my wish-list since day one, so I'm veery excited to see it's almost ready.

• What do you typically model / design? The first full-time position I had, we were designing permanent grocery store displays which typically consisted of metal wire & sheet. We also tried to get into capitol equipment for hospitals. Yeah, don't ask. When we transitioned to SolidWorks I discovered the beauty of a sheet metal workspace. I'm now in a more consumer products position, so I don't do as much sheet metal, but I do a lot of cardboard product displays where sheet metal & flat functionality would be equally nice. 

• What about the technology preview got your interest? I'd like to get started in fusion's sheet metal space "ASNAP" so I can get a head start on finding out if I will be able to use this functionality like I think I'll be able to. I have a number of projects coming up (and a couple which have already past) where a sheet metal space would be extremely handy.

• How do you believe the feature / function that is being previewed will improve your workflow? Being able to design a product package and/or display in sheet metal/cardboard and get the flats will speed up my workflow by an order of magnitude. Currently I have to mock up packaging separately in Photoshop or illustrator (which is LAME) and build the die lines from scratch in either Illustrator or Fusion (Prefer Fusion) depending on complexity. Soon I will be able to build the package/display in fusion, map it & get a rendering for sales&marketing and get the die line in a couple clicks. It will also be nice to be able to combine the sheet metal (or in my case, cardboard) space with the other modeling capabilities to realistically render packages with vac-formed "blisters" (when time allows).

Message 77 of 112
carneeki

Mechanical:

Autodesk Inventor 2010 - 2016

Fusion 360 since early 2016.

Schematic capture & PCB design:

Cadsoft EAGLE (now Autodesk EAGLE) v4 - v7.

Some KiCAD, some Altium Designer

Mentor for FIRST robotics teams, I model mechanisms and chassis designs to overcome various mechatronics related challenges with the teams I help. I also machine parts for some teams at home (manual lathe, working on a CNC retrofit of my mill). I also design simple workshop tools.

Sheet metal - I miss this functionality from Inventor.

From what I see from posts of the design preview, the sheet metal environment will save manual calculations of bend radii, and help accelerate design by generating a flat layout. These are features I would very much like to test early and promote to my team (FRC#4802) who are just starting to learn about sheet metal.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Message 78 of 112
AbhijeetGengane

I am using AutoCAD software only to design sheet metal parts since last 15 years.

I am sheet metal fabrication business and engaged in manufacturing Control Panels, Machine Enclosures, Acoustic ( Sound Proof) Enclosures, Girder Casting Structures for flyovers and overhead bridges, Lamp Covers and other sheet metal components.

Creating 2D model in AutoCad requires lot off imagination and thinking.

If Any part having multiple bends then it’s become more difficult. For production it require development (unfold size) & Notching has to be done at corners of tray/panels.

Whereas 3D modelling with fusion 360 life will be more easy if we add development feature.

1)Creating 3D model well before actual production will help customers to visualise there finished product in advance which will increase the chances of getting more orders.

e.g. control panel is assembly of left panel, right panel ,top panel, bottom panel, front door and back door. With fusion 360 I can create all 6 panels independently and can assemble it. Which will give clear idea to customer how it will look? From front,back,top,bottom, Left  and right side. And many more

2) Also advance feature like  development of sheet metal part ( unfold view) will save our time in calculating it.

e.g. to manufacture formed C section of size 100 x 200 x 100mm out of 2mm thick sheet of length 500 mm require 392 mm x 500 mm x 2 mm thk size sheet.

When we will create 3D model of that C section and clicking unfold view it will show me directly plain sheet ( with holes if any ) of size 392 x 500 x 2 mm. no need t calculate it again and this will help correct sizing without manual errors and with folding lines. Easy for production.

with best regards

abhijeet

Message 79 of 112
sarunasZTPKK

Previous CAD experience.
 - 2 years of Autocad, 6 years Altium, 8 years Solidworks.

What do you typically model / design?

- Drivetrains, electric components.

What about the technology preview got your interest?

- Sheet metal, molding.

How do you believe the feature / function that is being previewed will improve your workflow?

- can't do most work without sheet metal or molding. Just can't.

Message 80 of 112
jreynish

Please respond to this thread with the following details and you’ll be added to the list of users we pull from with each new preview:

I worked for five years with Solid Works, mostly sheet metal, but also mechanical and FE analysis in an engineering department.

In the past I designed sheet metal parts for various apparatus, mostly trucks, fire trucks, ambulances, and gravel trucks. 

I am currently mulling about creating replacement parts for a hobby car and sharing the files I create open source to help others with hard to find or discontinued parts.

I believe it will make designing sheet metal parts much much quicker and easier than it currently is.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report