Fusion 360 Preview Functionality
We’re talking the latest Previews. Love it? On the fence? Want to access? Discuss here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to sign up for Preview Technology (ARCHIVED)

111 REPLIES 111
SOLVED
Message 1 of 112
promm
7796 Views, 111 Replies

How to sign up for Preview Technology (ARCHIVED)

Thank you for your interest in helping us develop the tools for the future of design to manufacturing.  Technology previews gather customer feedback around business goal/objectives that the new functionality intends to solve, while the development approaches release.  Each preview will start with a small group of users invited, and we’ll continue to expand based off feedback and community interest.  The information you provide will be used to ensure we’re reaching our target audience, gathering feedback from diverse backgrounds and experience levels.

Please respond to this thread with the following details and you’ll be added to the list of users we pull from with each new preview:

• Previous CAD experience.
  • What do you typically model / design?
  • What about the technology preview got your interest?
  • How do you believe the feature / function that is being previewed will improve your workflow?

This part is important - there is no guarantee that the models you make now will function properly once the preview technology is fully released.  Please consider this when utilizing your time testing this functionality.

Labels (1)
111 REPLIES 111
Message 21 of 112
CarlFrischmuth
in reply to: promm

started playing around in my dads AutoCAD 2.18 in 1985, started working in unix based CAD tools in 1988.  I've seen all releases of autosurf and designer , mechanical desktop, inventor and now breaking things in fusion on a regular basis 😉

It depends on the contract, usually something creative.

It seems like there's something new going on! i wanted to check it out! 🙂

• How do you believe the feature / function that is being previewed will improve your workflow?

good question,  I'm not sure! it will improve things, I'm hopeful, but also its important to know what it can and cant do before i can use it for anything constructive.

Message 22 of 112
ompcea

Hey @promm,

• I have been a autocad, sketch up, rhino user since 2003. Tried pro-e & solidworks on and off for a few specific commands and have been using fusion extensively since the past year for all my professional & personal work. Im amazed by what it can do and i have recently setup my studio with 6 fusion licenses. The collaboration and the power-full A360 platform makes it really easy to share files and gather feedback. I have been using the model and sculpt model space extensively. Amazing software.
    • I'm an industrial designer and have been designing products ranging from consumer products to industrial pumps. Currently working with security industry designing Bank safes, safety deposit lockers, strong room door, vaults which are primarily fabricated.
    • Sheet metal - As mentioned above, I've been currently designing products which are primarily made using sheet metal fabrication. I have been following up the sheet metal feature updates in all autodesk posts and looking forward to get my hands on the same. 
    • Currently I have to use project functionality in fusion to project a 3d part and make a 2d dxf for laser cutting. a Sheet metal feature like k factor and bend radius, bend  angles will reduce the time and errors during the design process. Also it'll make rapid iterations much easier. 

Please consider me in the sheet metal technical preview. 

Thanks a lot.

Message 23 of 112
GeoffPacker7777

solidworks, Hicad, microstation, draftsight, autocad, 3ds max

Staircases, both straight and helical

The folding sheet metal previews. 

For producing models and drawings of helical staircases we need to be able to fold and unfold parts. 

Currently we are using other software for any curved stairs. Would love to use solely Fusion.

Helical stairs, especially with a patterned balustrade, usually test folded sheet metal parts pretty hard.

Message 24 of 112
npolanosky

• Solidworks
    • Inventor
    • CATIA V5
    • Sketchup
    • AutoCAD
    • Fusion 360, of course
    • Parts for combat robots
    • Industrial machinery
    • Automotive components
    • I'm very interested in test-driving and providing feedback on the sheet metal functionality (and really, everything you guys come up with- It's awesome what you're creating with Fusion 360)
    • I'm building a CNC plasma cutter, so a sheet metal workflow will be relevant to me very soon
    • I often need to design mounting brackets, enclosures, and panels for industrial equipment- This would make it far more intuitive than doing it all by hand.
    • Instead of having to calculate the bend radii and draw complex geometry just to make simple tabs and such, then have to work backwards to a 2d sketch.....let's just say it will save me a LOT of time, even if it has some limitations and bugs at first. That's what we're here for though! Feedback, ideas, sandwiches...wait. Time to go to lunch. Food is on my mind 😛
Message 25 of 112
rz
Explorer

Hello,

I'm a director in Nexus Systems Company. We work with fiber optic technology, making a wide projects of network Components. We use Solidworks and learn Fusion360 to make fiber optic enclosures, and others parts needed parts which are later molded or.... printed. We are also a supplier of sheet metal enclosures, but to design them we need to cooperate with other Company. Implementation of Metal Sheet mode into Fusion360, could give us a new possibility to improve our offer, and making needed changes to our products much faster.

Rafal Zachara

www.swiatlowody.com.pl

Message 26 of 112
roambotics_scott

I've been using F360 since it was a development preview

Consumer electronics enclosures [light switches, sconces, etc.] and mobile robotics / mechatronics

I've wanted to design enclosures and parts with sheet metal for a very long time

Hopefully it will be a much better approach than kludging with other tools to designin uniform thickness parts

Message 27 of 112
admaiora
in reply to: roambotics_scott

• AutoCAD, Inventor (AEE, ACI, ACP), beta tester for Inventor and Autocad.
  • A wide range of applications. Beside the the offshore wind turbines Industry, i work as consultant for businesses and professionals.
  • I am interested in every preview for which a customer might be interested in
  • Fast, precise, parametric/flexible, easy.

Thank you!

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 28 of 112
Kircher.Engineering

Hello promm,

thank you for giving me/us the possibility to engineer in such a affordable and nice CAD-program. I am Clemens from Germany and i am extremely excited to be using a sheet-metal bench in Fusion360. At the moment i am trying to implement Fusion360 in the engineering bureau in the company i am working.

But the main issue is that there is no sheet metal bench, so its a pain to create metal parts, unfold it manually and export in .dxf.

1year solid edge

4years CATIA

some months Onshape

Mostly i am designing Bike-Products, Bike-Stands and Parts/machines you need to produce bike-components

Fusion fits me very well, but without a the SM-Bench its not complete

I´d like to see an easy to use bench with basic functionality and precise, parametric fold/unfold and .dxf export options.

best regards

Clemens

Message 29 of 112
john.grimshaw

Software I've used in the past :- SDRC I-deas, Catia V4 and V5, Solid Edge, Pro-E, UGNX, AutoCAD, Inventor, Fusion360, OnShape and lots of other "Free" CAD systems

I work for a VAR now so my designs are varied, everything from parts of a Nuclear plant to small plastic components, but most of my life has been in the automotive and white goods environments. Essentially I've designed a bit of everything from Plug Sockets to HGV Fuel systems.

Being in-front of the technology coming is high on our priority list as a VAR, but also ensuring that our customer workflows are tested and comments made before release to try to make their life easier down the line is something I'm quite passionate about.

Having Sheet metal in the mix would bring most of my customers workflows under one umbrella reducing the need to switch between 3 or 4 different software's to get a single job done.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Please use "Accept as Solution" to mark ANY/ALL replies that answer your question.

If I have helped out in anyway but not solved the problem please click the thumbs up.

Cheers

John
Message 30 of 112
danielgameiro

• autocad and Solidworks user since 1998 
    • IN metal, we design: indoor and outdoor furniture and diverse urban equipment such as underground waste bins.
    • it looks very intuitive 
    • being able to work with sheetmetal is a condition for me to put my team working with fusion.
Message 31 of 112
robert

not much more, 3ds max and web development, so Fusion360 is my first CAD tool

Mostly building stuff in University

Using the sheet metal feature would be very helpful

Better and easier preparation in University where we have the tools to do sheet metal bending.

I'm very excited to put these tools to use!

Robert

Message 32 of 112
flaviocolnago

Autocad LT and Inventor professional.

Cilindrical shell, covers, repairs for machines

I'm interested in sheet metal environment

In Inventor if I use to built multybody parts, but to unfold some of them I have to make parts from bodies, create an assembly... In fusion I like that al datas are stored in one file.

Message 33 of 112
mark.ezell

I have used a number of CAD packages professionally: AutoCAD, Mechanical Desktop, Inventor, Microstation, PTC Creo. I have used a few as a student/Casually: CadKey, Rhino, Concepts 2D, Shark Lt, Shark FX. Currently I use Fusion 360 as a learner/casually. I have a small side sheet metal project I would like to use it on, and expect another that will use a combination of development and sheet metal this fall.

Professionally I design industrial air compression equipment. The design work consist mostly of sheet metal and tubing/piping. Probably 70-80 percent of my parts are sheet metal.

I initially purchased Fusion 360 because I am using Shark FX at home and it lacks good parametric modeling and sheet metal. I had initially expected that F360 would include sheet metal. As you might expect, I was disappointed that it was not initially included. I was very excited to hear that it will be available soon. My small project is due as soon as I can manage it and my fabricator will have a small window in April/May before being inundated in a production run.

This feature will allow me to do virtually all if not all all of my side projects in Fusion 360. My current CAD (Shark FX) does not have sheet metal.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions

Mark Ezell, PE

mark.ezell@gmail.com

Message 34 of 112
mark.t.bowie

I teach 3D Design, Engineering and Robotics at the high school level. We would very much like to test the Sheet Metal tools for forming parts for the robot we are currently building for the FIRST Robotics Competition.

Message 35 of 112
jason

Hi There I would like to be considered for sheet metal preview.

I have over 20 years of experience in AutoCAD, 3 years of experience in Solid Works and Inventor, and a couple months on Fusion 360.

I own and am the head designer for a company that manufactures tanks for commercial beer brewing and distilling. I recently switched from Solid Works to Fusion 360 for all of our designs mainly because of the easy to use interface and the online storage that allows me to easily stop drawing at my office and pick up where I left off from home without using remote desktop to my work PC. We manufacture everything out of 304 Stainless Steel and sheet metal tools in Fusion 360 would help tremendously with this, I have created my own work around to get our designs done but it doesn't really account for k factor and minimum bend radius.

Everything I can possibly get my hands on.

The list is too long to type out, just know that it will help a lot. Main things I am looking for are an easier way to flatten sheet metal. Currently I am making the designs, exporting parts to Solid Works to flatten and send DXF files to our CNC department.

Thank you for your consideration

Jason Spurrell
SysTech Stainless Works, LLC
330-775-2007

Message 36 of 112
ericnoe

The majority of my previous CAD background (15 years) started with R12 in high school, then the various versions up to current through college and work.  I have also used SolidWorks though not nearly as much as AutoCad.  I also have experience using a few different CADCAM software packages, mostly for 2D parts (laser cutting) and nesting.

My (our) day to day items that we use CAD for is flashing / trim / facia / sills that are fabricated using shears and press / leaf brakes out of various gauges of sheet metal (26ga up to 0.250").  My company has recently installed a laser cutter to expand our capabilities.  We are now able to cut complex 45 degree miter cuts on complicated bent trim pieces flat then bend them.  The un-folding manually and drawing the flat pieces is a pain, this could be very helpful being able to draw in 3D then just miter / flatten the solid.

A few of our guys (4 total) here are still on some old versions of AutoCad.  Our company is looking to upgrade in the next 6 months or so, this would be a great addition to our capabilities.  I would like to test the software to see how well it fits with what we do.  Combined we have over 150 years of sheet metal fabrication experience in our little shop from the office / design to the shop floor.

Thanks.

Eric Noe

Message 37 of 112
k6marco

• 10 yrs of CAD and Polygonal Modelling software experience ranging from Pro/E (Early stages), Solidworks, and currently Fusion 360 & The Foundry MODO
    • Typical designs today include FMCG products and relative packaging for visualisation, concept stages and SLA prototyping.
    • right now I'm very interested in reviewing the new sheetmetal capabilities
    • also very very interested in features like wrap sketch along surfaces
    • some sculpting functions, like smoothing and softening solid parts (eg. when you emboss/extrude a text on a bottle and then void the sharp extruded text edges , smudging and softening it. Like a filled but more organic/free.
    • We've already replaced SolidWorks with Fusion 360 for our production. Still in benchmark mode, as we're focused on packaging and product, things like embossing fine and smooth text , like wrapping text on surface is still hard on polygonal software as well Fusion at this stage. But i'm propositive 🙂

Thanks!

Mark

Message 38 of 112
zuurik

I have 5 years of Inventor experience, i do training's at one of the ALC in Tallinn and teach it in vocational school. Also i have 7 Years of Autocad experience and now a year of Fusion 360, also other kinds 3D software's  

I usually do all kind's of stuff, mostly for myself, i have done models for laser and 3D printing, built prototypes, and created some fun projects with students. At the moment making parts for laser and doing CAM for milling and turning.

At the moment i work in one metal working company as CAD/CAM engineer and we use Fusion for CAM on HAAS machines and we got a AMADA Fiber laser that i do CAM for and run the machine. And i would like to test out the sheet metal stuff, that i have been telling everybody about 😄 

Sheet metal would be a great in fusion and will save a lot of time running backwards and forwards between CAD softwares.  

Message 39 of 112
508industries

Hi Promm,

My name is Jed. I have an extensive background in cad/cam and manufacturing.

1. I have spent the last 10 years working heavily with inventor, solidworks, and autocad. I have also worked alot with solid edge.

2. Primarily i work on sheet metal design, welded assemblies, sheet metal inserts, punched sheet metal shapes, bent and stamped sheet metal, roll formed sheet metal, and sheared sheet metal.  I also work alot with machined parts, sometimes mill sometimes lathe, although normally i dont do alot of cnc with these parts. When I do have cnc machining I often spend more time designing fixtures. I also design alot of plastic parts and extruded shapes. However my primary background is in sheetmetal. This caused me to work alot with waterjets, laser cutters, press brakes, punching machines, stamping machines, shearing machines, insert machines, welding machines, and roll forming machines.

3. I come primiarily from an inventor background designing alot of sheet metal parts and assemblies. I would like to have that functionality with fusion 360 and see some of the potential enhancements that could result from the process.

4. I think that fusion 360's direct modeling capabilities, as well as its various cad/cam packages will provide a much more elevated sense of design intent productivity when used in the sheet metal world.

I fully believe that the technology will mature enough soon but at the same time i think it will be very helpful to see how this technology differs in its early stages from existing technology.

Thanks.

Message 40 of 112
josephVTTPY

Previous CAD experience.
- 22yrs

What do you typically model / design?
- Complex contoured surfaces for furniture prodeuction.

What about the technology preview got your interest?
- Interested in helping shape functionality of the tools I use on the daily.

How do you believe the feature / function that is being previewed will improve your workflow?
- Greatly simplify production from a manual operation to a process run on a laser cutter.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report