Fusion 360 Preview Functionality
We’re talking the latest Previews. Love it? On the fence? Want to access? Discuss here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

delete branche"s"

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
cekuhnen
817 Views, 13 Replies

delete branche"s"

by accident I turned on branches for one project

now I am stuck with the master and test branch

like with other versioning systems you should be able to also get rid of branches or

if later not needed terminate the branches while keeping the master

Also before turning on a branch Fusion should tell the user that currently this cannot

be undone! I have to be very careful now how I operate in this project.

I think I will at the end export / move all files out and make a new project for Wayne State.

large.png

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Labels (2)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
skylord73
in reply to: cekuhnen

If deleting (for some reason) is not possible an idea could be to allow merging also if no changes were made

Message 3 of 14
cekuhnen

@skylord73  very true!

Claas Kuhnen

Message 4 of 14
cekuhnen

I just also noticed some shortcomings in the file management of the A360 system refusing to move copy download files so I cannot even really migrate the files from that project.

This makes the Undo or cancel branch option even more important!

Claas Kuhnen

Message 5 of 14
keqingsong

I'm moving this to the branch and merge preview forum for appropriate visibility. 

Keqing Song
Autodesk Fusion Community Manager
Portland, Oregon, USA

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

Message 6 of 14
peterreibel

What's also frustrating ist that you cannot drop files you don't need when you merge back into master. You can only uncheck them.

The branch you've created lives on even when you delete the files after the merge. Fusion even states no difference looking that the project history.

So there's no way to get rid of a finished then superflous branch. It makes a Project look very messy when you're able to access all branches that ever existed.

Message 7 of 14
kamil.ignac
in reply to: peterreibel

@peterreibel

Thanks for you post.

You're right. Be unable to delete branch is very annoying.

Branch deletion has very high priority for us and it's something we want to provide very soon. 

So please, stay tuned:)

Thanks,
Kamil

Message 8 of 14
schneik-adsk

In some systems keeping every branch for all time is a feature that is very desired. Perhaps hiding, or archiving a branch would offer the solution you are looking for? It would let you clean up the project history but would also allow you to keep historical branches and the record of the work that was done in that branch.

I agree that we should allow deleting a branch if it was a mistake but deleting a branch where work was done and merged into main would be rewriting history, you would loose track of the activity and not be able to trace the origin of changes and versions. Perhaps this is something not important to a single user, but in teams this could be very important. Thoughts?

Kevin Schneider
Message 9 of 14
peterreibel
in reply to: schneik-adsk

Many thanks @kamil.ignac!

@schneik-adsk, I fully agree. We heavily rely on Git here at our company.

Branches that are merged back into master should not be deleted as they represent successful work at that time.

Experimental branches are usually axed here. Regarding what I experienced with Fusion: I finished a feature branch and along the way I created experimental models that are not needed in the master branch nor anywhere else. I would want them to be deleted or at least have the option to on merge so the complete branch is mergerd/closed/history. I thought I could do so that's why I didn't delete them before merging.

Maybe that helps for feature decision: http://ndpsoftware.com/git-cheatsheet.html#loc=;

@schneik-adsk Off topic: I see you're using a MacBook Pro. When was it released and how is the performance Fusion wise, if you don't mind my asking.

Message 10 of 14
schneik-adsk

I think once delete and trash gets implemented would be able to delete items and branches that are not important so i think we have your need in our backlog. 

as to the mackbook...

MacBook Pro "Core i7" 3.1 13" Early 2015 3.1 GHz Core i7 (I7-5557U)
Intro. March 9, 2015 Disc. None
Order MF843LL/A* Model A1502 (EMC 2835)
Family Retina Early 2015 13" ID MacBookPro12,1
RAM 8 GB* VRAM 1.5 GB*
Storage 128, 256, 512 GB SSD Optical None*
Complete MacBook Pro "Core i7" 3.1 13" Early 2015 Specs

I'm very happy with it. I rarely run it in full retina resolution which i believe is often behind users having issues with fusion on mac book pro laptops. I work with small to medium assemblies and switch between mobile and docked with a 27" display often. 

I'll be waiting for the processor upgrade before seriously looking at the new mac books. I might look at 15" again but it will ahve to be super compelling for me to move off the 13" form factor. Its very nice.

cheers

Kevin Schneider
Message 11 of 14
designer

delete branches .. is a must !

Message 12 of 14
nvanlaar
in reply to: designer

I would like to have both delete and archive as options.  I have a few accidental branches that are essentially wasted space, and others that are now dead ends, but I would like to keep the ideas/data for possible re-visitation at a later date.  

Message 13 of 14
kamil.ignac
in reply to: nvanlaar

Hi @nvanlaar,

from your point of view would be possible to "restore" the archived branch but deleted branch would be deleted "forever", right?

Thanks,

Kamil

Message 14 of 14
nvanlaar
in reply to: kamil.ignac

That is the way I envision it.  Archived would be, well, archived (compacted and minimized) as far as storage space and visually in the branch dialogs.  Deleted is gone forever with perhaps an undo during a current session.  Once you close Fusion, it's gone.

Thanks,

Nick

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report