Fusion 360 Preview Functionality
We’re talking the latest Previews. Love it? On the fence? Want to access? Discuss here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change sheet metal rules mid-stream?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
nvanlaar
2111 Views, 7 Replies

Change sheet metal rules mid-stream?

Is there a way to change sheet metal rules after creating a part?  Say, changing the material thickness.  Also, I would like to the ability to set the rule upon part creation, not as part of creating a "component".  Every new sheet metal part should automatically be a new component.  That shouldn't even be an option.  

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
promm
in reply to: nvanlaar

@nvanlaar,

You are able to edit the rules by selecting the rules icon, next expand the in design option, pick the rule and the picking edit.  We have received feedback during the preview that we can improve the rules dialog and workflow.  Here is a link to our new proposal.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/preview-functionality/sheet-metal-edit-rules-proposal/td-p/6869521

Fusion allows multiple components inside one model and we allow for mixed sheet metal / non-sheet metal components.  When you create your first sheet metal flange the model changes automatically to a sheet metal components.  The rule you have selected as default will be used and can be easily changed if you would like to use a different one.

Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 7.42.10 AM.png

Cheers,

Mike Prom

Message 3 of 8
contentcreators
in reply to: promm

Mike,

I see in the browser the Sheet Metal Rule that has been assigned to the body/component.

When I right-click the Sheet Metal Rule in the browser, I have the option to View Rule.

I understand how to edit the existing rule, but how do you change to a different rule?

Too bad this does not behave similar to Physical Properties and Appearances. Just open the Sheet Metal Rule and then drag and drop the rule that you want on to the appropriate body or component.

This would be very different from the workflow in Inventor, but would be more consistent with other Fusion commands. The latter I think is more important.

I welcome your feedback.

Regards,

Jerry

Message 4 of 8
nvanlaar
in reply to: promm

How do I change the rule for an existing part?  For example, I decide I want to go from 20ga to 12ga on a particular part after it's creation.  How do I do that?  If it is possible, it is super-not-obvious.  I realize, I can edit the existing rule, but what if I have two parts that are using 20ga and I want to change one of them to 16ga?

Sheet_metal_001.png

Thanks,

Nick

Message 5 of 8
JBerns
in reply to: nvanlaar

I have not found any way to change an existing body from one sheet metal rule to another.

Has anyone found a solution?

Regards,

Jerry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAD Administrator
Using Inventor 2022
Autodesk Certified Instructor
Autodesk Inventor 2020 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2017 Certified Professional
Message 6 of 8
patrick.miller
in reply to: JBerns

Hey Jerry,

You are correct that the current preview only allows you to view the rules from the browser or modify the definition in the library. We have an update planned for mid-April that will have the ability to select a different rule for a component. You access it from the same location in the browser but instead of "View Rule" it will be "Change Rule".

Patrick Miller

User Experience Designer
Fusion 360 Learning
Message 7 of 8
JBerns
in reply to: patrick.miller

Ackn. Thanks, Patrick.

- Jerry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAD Administrator
Using Inventor 2022
Autodesk Certified Instructor
Autodesk Inventor 2020 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2017 Certified Professional
Message 8 of 8
nvanlaar
in reply to: patrick.miller

Sounds like a move in the right direction.  Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report