Fusion 360 Preview Functionality
We’re talking the latest Previews. Love it? On the fence? Want to access? Discuss here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Branch and Merge - component level suggestion

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
roseR2YZL
324 Views, 2 Replies

Branch and Merge - component level suggestion

I'm playing around with the branch and merge feature, which is great, but it would be even more excellent branch/merge was possible on components within a project.

I'm coming from a solidworks background and one of its features I find very useful is making configurations of parts. I envision this being possible in fusion through component level branching.

This would be useful for revision control too. For example, when I am happy with my design I would create a milestone and call it 'Rev A.'

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
schneik-adsk
in reply to: roseR2YZL

Revision management has been an idea we think could be interesting too.

Configurations is much more tricky with branches. Do you think it would be possible to manage a design where each reference to a component could be a different branch AND different version?

We have been thinking that configurations might be done with a tool that is simpler to manage. Just curious on your thoughts if branches could really scale?

Kevin Schneider
Message 3 of 3
roseR2YZL
in reply to: schneik-adsk

So there are three major points that made component level branching seem attractive, but its possible there are better ways to achieve them.

Point the first: configurations - I think you're right, using branches to keep track of configurations would get messy. Configurations of components would be better stored inside the component revision instead of on a separate branch.

Point the second: revision control - the branch and merge scheme looked viable for this due to the ability to name your own milestones, which could be implemented as a custom revision numbering scheme. The way I see things, having each save generate a new revision is great for keeping track of every little change, but when it comes to releasing a component for machining things get a little inconvenient.

E.g. I release on V.6, need to do some edits, then re-release on V.9. It becomes necessary to either save a released version separately (and if it's used in another assembly that assembly needs to be saved separately and so-on), or keep track manually of which version numbers are the release revisions.

In my ideal world the auto-reving would continue, but I would have the option to, when I'm happy with my design, name the revision under my own scheme - e.g. A,B,C etc.

So the revision history would go something along the lines of:

auto1

auto2

A (auto3)

auto4

B (auto5)

At my company we're actually using 4 different revision schemes we call proto (0-99), eng (0-99), release (A-Z), and obsolete (OBS). So my absolutely ideal scheme would go:

01 (eng)

auto1

02 (eng)

auto2

auto3

A (release)

auto4

B

...and so on.

Point the third: branch-merge on sub-assemblies - What I'm looking for here is the ability to perform branch and merges on sub-assemblies that will remain linked to the parent assembly. So any changes pushed onto the subassembly also get pushed onto the the main assembly.

Maybe this is still viable at a project only level; perhaps a sub-assembly branch that gets pushed onto the main assembly master branch? I'll look into it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report