Fusion 360 Preview Functionality
We’re talking the latest Previews. Love it? On the fence? Want to access? Discuss here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Branch & Merge Feedback (ARCHIVED)

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
keqingsong
1465 Views, 12 Replies

Branch & Merge Feedback (ARCHIVED)

The goal of the Branch & Merge preview is to allow our community to provide valuable initial feedback, allowing us time to make the necessary changes, while the team continues to work on the rest of the features that will be in our first release.  In this forum we will discuss your workflows, capture feedback and provide instructions.

Excerpt from Jan 19, 2017 Update - What's New:

The concept of branch and merge is common in the software development world, but is pretty new when it comes to product design. Why do all this? Because of two awesome reasons:

1. You can explore design variations without consequence.

We’ve all been there. You’re working on a project and you’re on version 85 and you think to yourself: “man...I really shoulda sketched that circle instead of using the cylinder tool…”, and you’re too lazy to go back and find the right version to promote so you stick through it and suffer the consequences. Hours later your eyes are bloodshot and you need a drink.

Screen Shot 2017-01-08 at 9.39.16 PM.png

Branch and merge gets rid of all that because you can create multiple branches and explore different workflows, without the side-effects! If you screw up on one branch, go back to a milestone that you had set, or ditch the branch and move on to another. The master will remain untouched until you decide to merge to it. This introduces levels of stability to your designs, where you can multiple branches as multiple levels of stability (master, pre-production, prototype, sandbox).

2. You can manage changes like a pro.

It’s true. The only thing that is constant in this world is change, especially in the world of design. Whether you’re on your own or working a global design team, the last thing you want is seeing changes being made to designs where you have no idea what they are, what they replaced, and who is doing it.

Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 9.23.50 AM.png

Branch and merge let’s you not only create branches, but you can also create milestones for significant events that have taken place, worthy of capturing. Give them code names. Include details that are meaningful for you and your team. Every milestone made captures a snapshot of the entire project and everything related to it (subassemblies, related drawings, etc). Showing a visual tree of all your design decisions to your customers can take your project and relationship to with your customers to the next level.

Bryce and Aaron does a great overview of how to do this in their latest What's New Video.

We look forward to hearing from you! 

Keqing Song
Autodesk Fusion Community Manager
Portland, Oregon, USA

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

Labels (1)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
jsejcksn
in reply to: keqingsong

Thanks for adding this to F360! My initial questions:

1. How do I delete a branch?
  2. How can I interact with branches at myhub.autodesk360.com?
Message 3 of 13
jan_priban
in reply to: jsejcksn

Hi,

1. How do I delete a branch?

In this first Branching & Merging version is not possible to Delete/Hide branch

1. How can I interact with branches at myhub.autodesk360.com?

A 360 (myhub.autodesk360.com) works on master branch only, means other branches are not visible on A 360

Regards

Jan Priban, Autodesk Fusion 360 team

Message 4 of 13
catot

I think the Branch & Merge functionality seems very promising.

From my short initial testing, It seems to work very well where you have a design with linked Components. Excellent, I love it!

But what about when you have a Project containing just one design file, which in turn contains maybe hundreds of individual Components? (the Fusion workflow many people seems to recommend and use, at least last time I checked). I'm able to push/pull changes between branches on a file-level only. Maybe I'm missing something. But is it possible to break down this to compare changes also on an internal Component-Level instead of just on file-level?

If this is not possible, then I think the Branch & Merge funcionality will not fully Reach it's potential, at least in teams where several designers will work in parallell on different Components which is internal to the same Fusion design-file.

Branch Test.PNG 

Example of workflow to illustrate the problem (refer Picture above, this is one Project, and only one design-file with various internal Components):

Branch is created for material study of several parts according to compliance with Chemicals and/or environment. At the same time/location, a different branch is also created from master, to look into replacing a standard part with a different variant. Also at the same time/location, a branch is created from master, which will focus on redesigning a Component. This last branch gets two sub-branches for looking into two different solutions. At the time when you are ready to start mergning, you will get problems when trying to merge and keep all the desired changes from the different branches (this gets marked as a conflict in the merge dialouge).

Please correct me if I'm wrong, have misunderstood anything, or if I need to look at a different workflow. Thanks.

Message 5 of 13
Rob.Lockwood
in reply to: catot

This is also super promising, but one minor issue i've noticed is..

If you perform a merge that alters the master, but have the master open.. when you close the master, it's auto-saved, and will not have been updated from the merge.. saving the old version over the new.

This isn't such a big deal, you can promote the correct version fairly easily.. but there should be something that checks if files are open and prompts to close them, or something, to avoid that confusion.

Rob Lockwood
Maker of all the things.
| Oculus | | Locked Tool | | Instagram |

Message 6 of 13
cekuhnen
in reply to: Rob.Lockwood

pretty cool new start!

I would add a warning/reminder to users if they really want to use this function because currently you cannot undo this.

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Message 7 of 13
jan_priban
in reply to: catot

Hi Catot,

In this first Branching/Merging preview it is possible to react_on/reflect only file-level changes. Not feature (internal component) changes. So as you mentioned at beginning of your post, you need to have your components as external reference files. Like Autodesk Inventor does, assembly file referencing part files. Simply said, if 2 users work on "same" file, user A on branch A, user B on branch B and user A created a hole while user B created a fillet then it is not possible to merge these two changes together = result will no be design file with hole and fillet. Same with internal component. When you work with assembly file referencing external components and modify external components then is useful Offline mode, in Offline mode assembly update (Get Latest) takes just moment

Regards

Jan Priban

Autodesk Fusion team

Message 8 of 13
jan_priban
in reply to: Rob.Lockwood

Hi Rob,

thank you for your feedback. As an improvement we could show "In Used By" status of file being merged on target (master) branch (show "In Use By" + user name in Merge dialog). Possible improvement will be decided by our UX people.

Regards

Jan Priban

Autodesk Fusion team

Message 9 of 13
nvanlaar
in reply to: jan_priban

I sent in a feature request/bug, but I want to put it here as well.

Branching is not supported at all in the mobile app.  If a design is branched, the mobile app will only see what the last version was prior to branching.  This is not good and makes it pretty much impossible to share/go over designs in the mobile space.

Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

Thanks for this great tool!

My question is how do I return to a previous milestone? Also, if possible, how do I view a single file from previous milestone? i.e. a drawing maybe?

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: nvanlaar

Hi,

you are correct, so far A 360 service (mobile/web application) shows only master branch (folder/files on master branch). Since Branching & Merging is still in preview mode, it is not defect, it is just preview limitation. User's branches are not visible on A 360. 

Regards

Jan Priban, team Fusion 360 

Message 12 of 13
jan_priban
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

open project history dialog, click on milestone you are interested in, bottom window shows data/versions according this milestone. Notice your drawing version for selected milestone was for instance v5. So from data panel, expand file details, show all file versions and open/promote version you are interested in. For instance version 5. See image please.

Regards

Jan Priban, team Fusion 360

http://help.autodesk.com/view/fusion360/ENU/?guid=GUID-1B2D377C-2ED9-478A-BDB2-E4B1B2D3FB4C

MileStoneVersion.png

Message 13 of 13
keqingsong

Hey guys - closing this thread. Please refer to the new one: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/preview-functionality/branch-amp-merge-getting-started/td-p/6932665

Keqing Song
Autodesk Fusion Community Manager
Portland, Oregon, USA

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report