Community
PowerShape Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s PowerShape Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular PowerShape topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

g2 curve vs bezier curve

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
TK.421
667 Views, 3 Replies

g2 curve vs bezier curve

Whats the difference between a g2 curve and a bezier curve? when should i use one over the other?

thanks

--------------------------------------
the numbers never lie
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ewshp
in reply to: TK.421

G2 curves are used for A-class surfaces (automotive / design)  as they produce softer curves (less prone to have some "rough" edges on surfaces created using this kind of curve)

The letter G refers to "Geometric Continuity" and there are several levels, the main ones being :

0 : Linear continuity

1 : Tangeant continuity

2 : Curvature continuity 

Bezier curves are G1.

Message 3 of 4
TK.421
in reply to: ewshp

are there draw backs to g2 curves? From your response, it sounds like i should use those all the time if surface quality is important to me. Thanks for your reply. I've got a few jobs better suited for powershape rather than solidworks but i dont have any training in it. i'm killing the hours on these jobs (not in a good way)

--------------------------------------
the numbers never lie
Message 4 of 4
ewshp
in reply to: TK.421

I would say the difference is on the aesthetic side of things and i have no typical use case where i need to use G2 curves. (meaning where i need to maintain continuity, tangeancy and constant curvature)

I stick to use bezier curves (G1) as on the products i am working on what i want first is continuity and tangeancy between differents elements or when creating some surfaces.

I will make some deeper experiments on G2 curves when i get some free time.

Hope this helps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report