Community
PowerMill Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s PowerMill Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular PowerMill topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Toolpath gaps" issue

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
kukelyk
684 Views, 10 Replies

"Toolpath gaps" issue

Hi.

How could I check all my toolpaths, if they are corrupted or not?

Thanks in advance

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
lokesh.kalia
in reply to: kukelyk

@kukelyk  Hi. Are there any 'obvious' gaps in the project? If not, this may be a case that this check is being too strict: it checks that the distance between the end of one toolpath component and the start of the next is less than the machining tolerance. If the tolerance is very fine and the toolpath coordinates large, it is possible for some numerical discrepancies to result in a false positive.

As for checking all the toolpaths in one go, the only solution that I can think of is to put them all in an NC program and try to write them out; I don't recall any other tools that we provide that could help, unfortunately. That won't tell you where the gaps are though. It would be better if the error message provided that information, at the very least. I'll see what can be done about that. Is it possible for you to provide a project that shows this problem please?

Does re-applying the links make the error go away? - If you are able to provide a project, please provide a version before the links are re-applied Smiley Happy Thanks.

Lokesh Kalia
Senior Manager, Software Development
Message 3 of 11
iamcdn79

I have received this msg about 2-3 times in the last 3 yrs, scared the sh*t out of me thinking that I have to redo that toolpath but fortunately, all it took was to re-apply the leads/links and all was ok

Intel Core i9 13900KF CPU
128 GB Kingston Beast DDR4 SDRAM
PNY RTX A2000 6GB Video Card
WD 1 TB SSD Hard Drive
Windows 11 Pro

Message 4 of 11
kukelyk
in reply to: lokesh.kalia

Hi @lokesh.kalia,

the project is in the attachment.

reapplying links fix the toolpath.

Thanks

Message 5 of 11
iamcdn79

Do you use the corner clearance strategy often? I find results like these turn me off to the strategy

Capture.PNG

WD 1 TB SSD Hard Drive
Windows 11 Pro

Message 6 of 11
lokesh.kalia

@kukelyk Hi. Thanks for the data. The gap is around: -131.08,  29.42,  39.5. If you zoom in you'll see a small segment. The odd thing is that the segment is open but the lead in and lead out are both connected to the same end. The bug/error is that this this small segment has been mistaken for a closed segment. - It looks as if some changes have been made in a subsequent codebase to improve this. The toolpath was calculated in 1187262. Are you using a later codebase now?

SmallSegment.png

Lokesh Kalia
Message 7 of 11
iamcdn79

How did you find that small segment? Is there a special command? Or you just have to look for it manually?

WD 1 TB SSD Hard Drive
Windows 11 Pro

Message 8 of 11
lokesh.kalia
in reply to: iamcdn79

@iamcdn79 Hi. In this case I found the 'gap' by debugging the code. 

As it happens, there is a command that copies short segments (and their associated leads) to a separate toolpath:

EDIT TOOLPATH <name> EXTRACT_SHORT_SEGMENTS <max_length> -- extracts segments shorter than max_length

It's something that we would like to 'wrap up' properly. One of these days hopefully ...

Lokesh Kalia
Message 9 of 11
kukelyk
in reply to: iamcdn79

I never use this strategy, just because these kind of toolpath segments. Some of my colleagues use this. The corner cleareance and the corner finishing strategies should be improved.  Calculating , trimming and cleaning 'along_corner' takes almost half of the programming time at our company.

Message 10 of 11
kukelyk

We mainly use Version20.0.10.64.1187262, what is PM2016SP13. Is there SP14 somewhere?

Message 11 of 11
entoged

Yes, PM 2016 SP14 - it will be very good to found it

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report