Community
PowerMill Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s PowerMill Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular PowerMill topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerMill drilling automation\hole tagging plugin

111 REPLIES 111
SOLVED
Message 1 of 112
michael.grenier4GVTU
10573 Views, 111 Replies

PowerMill drilling automation\hole tagging plugin

Hi Everyone!

We’re excited to share the following news… PowerMill Elite users have been asking for a better way to automate their custom drilling processes within PowerMill. Today we’re thrilled to announce a plugin that allows users to tag holes in PowerMill according to a user-defined CSV database. That database can be manually accessed but everything you need to build it also has a interactive UX inside the plugin. Users can now take more custom control of their drilling automation to suit their company’s needs.

Please view the teaser video below, to see if this will be of value to you

If you wish to investigate further, install the plugin and put it through its paces. Please go to the following page where you’ll have access to the full length tutorial recording, the sample files, and also a link to download the plugin.

[video]

https://mfghub.autodesk.com/resources/

Please note that this plugin was written as a giveaway and that the source code will also be made available soon. This will allow power-users to modify or enhance features to your exact needs.  Please send an email to na_mfg@autodesk.com, once the code is available, and we will make sure you receive instructions for access.

Michael Grenier
Senior Solution Engineer
111 REPLIES 111
Message 61 of 112

Yes, I know it's easier with toolpaths. I use methods because they look for tools in the library and if there are they use them. With toolpaths I can't do it.

Message 62 of 112

Hi everyone, kindly I needed feedback, after upgrading to Powermill 2021.0.3 plugin keeps crashing powermill

Message 63 of 112

Just tried here and had no problem before and after updating.

Michael Grenier
Senior Solution Engineer
Message 64 of 112
Anonymous
in reply to: michael.grenier4GVTU

Hi everybody!

I am really interested in this post. I have read all the messages, I have installed the plugin. Where can I find the macros and the .csv file?

Thanks in advance.

Message 65 of 112
michael.grenier4GVTU
in reply to: Anonymous

Macros are installed with the plugin automatically and the csv file is actually a blank text file (originaly) that you have to point the plugin to. Just create a dumb file with the csv extension, point the plugin options to this file and you should be good to go. Then you can use the plugin to add holes to the csv, I would not encourage you to try to do it manually. Everything should be available in the plugin to add/modify and remove holes.

Michael

Michael Grenier
Senior Solution Engineer
Message 66 of 112
Anonymous
in reply to: michael.grenier4GVTU

Many thanks, Michael.

Message 67 of 112

I have been tying to use this plugin for a bit now i have all my holes tagged and the options are set right but when i try to generate toolpaths it crashes powermill...is there something i am missing because other people seem to have it working...

Message 68 of 112

Can you share your project, templates and csv file?

Michael Grenier
Senior Solution Engineer
Message 69 of 112

Ok give me a little bit to package it up for u...thanks for the quick reply though..

Message 70 of 112

here is a copy of my .csv file and the folder that I have drilling_methods in... i tried to put each drilling method in a seperate folder with the same name still no luck...

Message 71 of 112

I put the project in as well
Message 72 of 112

What version of the plugin are you using?

Michael Grenier
Senior Solution Engineer
Message 73 of 112

Just in case you read this message this weekend, I'm going to upload an updated csv file here for you to try.  Depending on the version of the plugin you are using, you may have to use the new formatting.  With the format you sent me I was getting a crash too, with when I reformatted it it worked just fine.  Can you give it a try?

Michael Grenier
Senior Solution Engineer
Message 74 of 112

Thanks Michael I reallly appreciate all your hard work. I will give it a try and let u know...
Message 75 of 112

I am using version 1.0.11 i used the file you sent me but now it crashes as soon as i try to tag holes now...I am going to try and uninstall the plugin and then reinstall it...
Message 76 of 112

I've done a couple modifications to the one I keep here can you give it a try and see if it works with it?  Cause it runs without any issue on my end with your stuff.

Michael Grenier
Senior Solution Engineer
Message 77 of 112

sorry for the delay just super busy here....I am using version 1.0.11

Message 78 of 112

Have you tried to install the version I posted in my last response?  It should be Version 1.0.31

Michael Grenier
Senior Solution Engineer
Message 79 of 112

I just installed it. but as soon as I tried to add an unrecognized hole to the database it crashed but before that I tagged the holes and generated toolpaths but it applied the same method to all the holes which was a M10 Ream....should i use toolpaths instead of drilling methods? I really appreciate you helping me here.....

Message 80 of 112

Yes, toolpaths are a much better way to do it in my opinion.  But even if you use drilling method, you can keep the setting set to toolpath and it should also work.

Michael Grenier
Senior Solution Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report