Community
PowerMill Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s PowerMill Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular PowerMill topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerMill drilling automation\hole tagging plugin

111 REPLIES 111
SOLVED
Message 1 of 112
michael.grenier4GVTU
10575 Views, 111 Replies

PowerMill drilling automation\hole tagging plugin

Hi Everyone!

We’re excited to share the following news… PowerMill Elite users have been asking for a better way to automate their custom drilling processes within PowerMill. Today we’re thrilled to announce a plugin that allows users to tag holes in PowerMill according to a user-defined CSV database. That database can be manually accessed but everything you need to build it also has a interactive UX inside the plugin. Users can now take more custom control of their drilling automation to suit their company’s needs.

Please view the teaser video below, to see if this will be of value to you

If you wish to investigate further, install the plugin and put it through its paces. Please go to the following page where you’ll have access to the full length tutorial recording, the sample files, and also a link to download the plugin.

[video]

https://mfghub.autodesk.com/resources/

Please note that this plugin was written as a giveaway and that the source code will also be made available soon. This will allow power-users to modify or enhance features to your exact needs.  Please send an email to na_mfg@autodesk.com, once the code is available, and we will make sure you receive instructions for access.

Michael Grenier
Senior Solution Engineer
111 REPLIES 111
Message 21 of 112

@michael.grenier4GVTU 

Thank You!

I see a list of files and folders on GITHUB.

How do we get these to our computer?

Are you able to just provide a zip file perhaps, either here or on A360?

Also, once we have these files, is there any other software or programming language that is needed in order to tweak/play with the plugin?

Personally, I am still learning more every day about macros in Powermill, and wouldn't mind learning about plugins and their programming language.

Have a great day!

Glen

Big thanks to all who contribute!
My opinions are my own and are not intended to reflect yours.
Message 22 of 112
smackayPFSC4
in reply to: glen_h

Go to this link

There will be a green button Clone or Download

Click the button, and then select download zip.

Message 23 of 112

The folowing macros file are not present in your GitHub package :

macro.jpg

Message 24 of 112

Yes you are right, I've asked someone to add them back.  Not sure why they didn't make it there.  In the meantime, you can get them from the original installer as they are install with it.

Michael Grenier
Senior Solution Engineer
Message 25 of 112
glen_h
in reply to: smackayPFSC4

@smackayPFSC4 

Thank you for the link.

Also, I was wondering if you have any brief guidance and/or source to learn what coding and/or software is required to make amendments?

Glen

Message 26 of 112

@michael.grenier4GVTU 

Where is the install location to copy over those missing files?

Message 27 of 112

VisualStudio is what we usually use for plugin Devlopment.  We have no specific training data for plugin development but since I wrote this one in C#, you could simply follow an online C# class to get you started.

Michael Grenier
Senior Solution Engineer
Message 28 of 112

The plugin vas written in VisualStudio using C# so any basic C# classes you could find would be really beneficial.

Michael Grenier
Senior Solution Engineer
Message 29 of 112

@michael.grenier4GVTU 

Okay thanks

Message 30 of 112

To get the installer, you’ll need to go to the following link, listen to the drilling automation video completely and at the end you’ll have a link to download the file.

Michael Grenier
Senior Solution Engineer
Message 31 of 112

@michael.grenier4GVTU 

Already have the installer.

Where on the PC does it install to? For example c:\program files\Autodesk\?????

Message 32 of 112

Should be in program files/Autodesk/drillingautomationplugin.

or something like that :). I’m not at my desk so can’t verify right now.  Maybe you can search for a specific file in windows if you don’t find it.

Michael Grenier
Senior Solution Engineer
Message 33 of 112

Good morning

you could make an extensive explanation of its operation. I don't know how I have to fill in the Excel or provide the data

Message 34 of 112

There is a video that explains the entire process of adding and tagging holes on the following link.  Basically you don't need to play in the csv file manually as it's all handled by the options in the plugin.

Michael

Michael Grenier
Senior Solution Engineer
Message 35 of 112

Hi Michael,

When i try to tag holes inside a Hole Featureset that is imported as .XML plugin crases.

Am I doing something wrong? Our company's CAD team has standardized most of the hole types that we are using and I think it's a good idea to export model as [.dgk +FEATURES].

I hope to read from You soon.

Message 36 of 112

Hi,

from what I see in your xml file, all your holes are already tagged with unique name describing what they are.  The plugin is intended to do 2 things, name your holes (like you already have them correctly named in your xml so that is useless to you) and automatically apply toolpaths on those holes.  All that to say that you would not need to build a csv database but you'll have to build a folder with all you toolpaths that will match the names you see in your featureset tree.  If you do that, set this folder in your option page to be that main toolpath folder, select toolpaths only in the main plugin page, you should be fine.

You didn't specify when or how the crash was happening so it's not easy for me to target the problem more than what I just said.  Also know that since the plugin source code is public, we do not update it since we gave that ability to customers to do it themselves.

Hope it helps!

Michael

Michael Grenier
Senior Solution Engineer
Message 37 of 112

Hi !

Thanks Michael, for sharing such a good plugin. But your given link of download & detail video is not working. Somehow i am able to download the plugin and I installed it also, but i don't know how to use it?

After installing the plugin when I imported a solid model and created hole feature set.

And as i touched the hole manager plugin an error popped up as "Make sure you select your database file and set your toolpath file first"

I found a video of your also - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OvMxVnxdL0. This is also not in depth.

Please suggest me a link or video to get a detailed information on "Hole Manager Plugin".

Thanks & Regards,

Pradeep Sharma

@michael.grenier4GVTU 

Message 38 of 112
karan30782
in reply to: glen_h

It automatically finds the path to install the given plugin don't change it to any new location.

By default path is C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\Drilling Automation Plugin

Cheers !!

Message 39 of 112

Hi,

Yes you are right the mink changed few months ago. You can go there now and you should find the video.

https://www.autodesk.com/industry/manufacturing/manufacturing-hub/resources

Michael

Michael Grenier
Senior Solution Engineer
Message 40 of 112

@michael.grenier4GVTU where do we get the plugin from these days?

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Product & Platform Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report