Community
PowerMill Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s PowerMill Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular PowerMill topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powermill creating features that aren't in my model

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
mmagella
597 Views, 9 Replies

Powermill creating features that aren't in my model

I've attached below a picture of the issue I'm having when I import a model. That brown torus should not be there. It is not included in my Solidworks model, and in Solidworks it shows I have one solid body. I tried to save as x.t and reimport and that did not work.

Any ideas on what kind of error this might be?torus.PNG

Labels (3)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
darren.connor
in reply to: mmagella

Hi mmagella

This looks like there could be a trimming issue when importing the file. You may be able to tweak one of the Exchange resources to resolve this, and it may identify the resource that needs adjusting when importing the model.

Are there any trimming issues reported when importing the model?

Message 3 of 10
mmagella
in reply to: darren.connor

Thanks for the reply.😀

No errors are reported when importing the model. 

How would I get into and tweak the exchange resource? 

Message 4 of 10
TK.421

if you have a seat of powershape or powermill modelling, it would be easier to just fix it in there rather than mess around with settings in exchange, especially if that doesnt happen too often. I find that only happens when i have poorly constructed surfaces in SW, which has nothing to do with how i model things 😉

--------------------------------------
the numbers never lie
Message 5 of 10
darren.connor

Hi mmagella

Powermill will read the Exchange resource file when importing the model. Running Exchange in stand alone and importing the model into this may reveal the resource that needs to be changed.

Assuming you are using the 2020 version of the product, you can run Exchange from the Windows Start menu.

If you continue to have difficulty I can take a look if you upload the model. If the data is sensitive then you would need to create a support case.

Regards.

Darren Connor

Message 6 of 10
mmagella
in reply to: TK.421

When I try to import into Powershape, it gives me an error saying version 8 solids cannot be imported. 😋

Message 7 of 10
mmagella
in reply to: darren.connor

I'll attach the model to this reply.

I see the problem in the data exchange, but cannot pinpoint it in Solidworks.

Thanks for taking a look 🙂

Message 8 of 10
TK.421

what are you outputting from SW? pshape should handle step files if you havent tried that.

Here's how i go about fixing those: I will import model into powermill as i usually do. If i see a crappy surface, or a radius that SW cant put on (i know you know what i'm talking about, lol) I window select the whole model (or just the areas that I need to fix), right click and select copy; then i click in an open powershape session and hit ctrl+v to paste in the model from there. Once I make my changes, i window select everything and hit ctrl+c, go into powermill, right click on 'models' in the tree and say paste as new model. easy peasy japanesey. much easier that the whole import/export business, try that.

the numbers never lie
Message 9 of 10
mmagella
in reply to: TK.421

Thank you!! I used your method and I was able to delete the 'donut' feature in Powershape. In deleting it I found a hole in one of the radii of the model (which I did not model myself, it was my coworker 😉 )

Appears as though that hole is what was causing the issue to arise. 

Message 10 of 10
TK.421

wonderful. it doesnt happen often, but it can be a pain. I only notice it on round gasket grooves. keep the powershape copy/paste in mind. along with the Holy Ghost, that'll change your life!

the numbers never lie

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report