Community
PowerMill Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s PowerMill Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular PowerMill topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerMill 2021 very slow

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
support
1286 Views, 6 Replies

PowerMill 2021 very slow

Hi, 

I am currently trying to resolve an issue for a user. Their software seems to be running very slow, to the point where it is almost unusable. I have made sure the latest patch has been installed. I have also tested a number of designs, each time one is loaded it causes the issue. The only recent change is that I have since connected a new tooldata base. 

The machine itself is more then capable of running the software. Any other ideas what could be causing the issue?

Tags (1)
Labels (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
TK.421
in reply to: support

What in particular runs slow? The software as a whole, or are there specific operations that are slow? What are the specs of the machine that it's running?

I program a wide range of things that vary from the size of a chair seat to the size of an RV and I dont have any issues (other than the form loading time that has gotten progressively longer the past few years). 

--------------------------------------
the numbers never lie
Message 3 of 7
support
in reply to: TK.421

The programme seems to run extremely slow to the point of no use when a design has been loaded. 

The PC being used is a Dell precision Tower:

Motherboard: Dell Inc. 08K0X7 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz Physical Cores: 4 Memory: 15.9 GB Display Adapter: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530

Could the graphics card need an upgrade?

Message 4 of 7
TK.421

I think the whole computer needs an upgrade, but the gpu at minimum. Here’s a comparison between what you and I run for gpu. I also run intel Xeon and 32gb memory. 

im sorry, but this machine seems too outdated for pmill 2021. 

--------------------------------------
the numbers never lie
Message 5 of 7
support
in reply to: TK.421

That's good to know, Thanks for your help!

Message 6 of 7
Sean570

Here are the minimum requirements to run powermill 2021 
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/powermill/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/System...

You need a much better graphics card

I have an Invidia Quadro K2200 and that works fine for most things, though not for larger models.

Message 7 of 7
Craig.Burney_DSI

@support  I would say that the biggest contributor to the slow down is the Intel graphics card.  The graphics card that comes with the computer is never good enough for CAD/CAM application.  Autodesk recommends a NVIDIA Quadro card because that is the brand they do all of their testing with.  I hope this helps.

Craig Burney
Senior Application Engineer
Design & Software International

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report