Community
PowerMill Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s PowerMill Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular PowerMill topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerMill 2019.1.3 Crashing to desktop on Startup

30 REPLIES 30
SOLVED
Message 1 of 31
scottmoyse
22211 Views, 30 Replies

PowerMill 2019.1.3 Crashing to desktop on Startup

I've just installed PowerMill 2019 for the first time on Windows 10... As soon as I launch it... it crashes to desktop with no errors. Check out the video of the issue here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BrqjJeoAdoW/

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Product & Platform Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

30 REPLIES 30
Message 21 of 31
scottmoyse
in reply to: Benjamin.Br

@Benjamin.Br wrote:

Hi Aaron. Thanks for your input. That's a really useful extra bit of information. The module where the crash is happening for both of you, AdpSDKWrapper.dll, is one that is common to many Autodesk applications. I think that it's a possibility that the presence of a beta version of a 2020 Autodesk application could interfere with the behaviour of that module in other applications.

@Benjamin.Br are you able to replicate it by installing the Inventor 2020 beta? This will need to be fixed before late March if you can repro it.

Scott Moyse
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 22 of 31
Benjamin.Br
in reply to: scottmoyse

Hi @scottmoyse and @ahorwood. The team responsible for AdpSDKWrapper.dll have asked if you could get the Windows core dumps for the crashes and supply them for the team to analyse. Core dumps are not generated by Windows by default so is something that needs to be enabled. Instructions for doing it are at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/wer/collecting-user-mode-dumps. You'll then need to run the application again to trigger the crash and create the dump. Probably the best way to supply me with the files, once you've created them is by opening a support incident and then give me the case number here.

At the same time I will try to get hold of an Inventor 2020 beta installer to see if that allows me to reproduce the problem.

Benjamin Brereton
Director, Engineering
Message 23 of 31
scottmoyse

I don't have support since it's an NFR license. Where do you want me to submit it... Remember there's also no CER being generated. Contact chris.mitchell@ Autodesk . Com for beta access.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 24 of 31
Benjamin.Br

Hi @scottmoyse. @darren.connor, one of our Technical Consultants, is going to create a support case for you, which you can use to upload the file.

I believe you're not getting a CER because PowerMill is crashing on startup and so before it has even had chance to initialise the CER system. I think that by enabling the Windows core dump Windows should be able to capture the crash.

Thanks for the Inventor contact.

Benjamin Brereton
Director, Engineering
Message 25 of 31
Benjamin.Br

Hello. I have reproduced the problem by installing the Inventor 2020 beta, so that does seem to be part of the problem - or at least the catalyst. My expectation at this stage is that Inventor itself is not the problem. It is more likely that the Inventor installer is putting some a system component update on that is causing a problem with PowerMill. We are continuing to investigate.

Benjamin Brereton
Director, Engineering
Message 26 of 31
scottmoyse

Awesome!

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 27 of 31
Benjamin.Br

Hello again. We believe we now understand this problem and it's cause. The cause is an interaction between a later version of Autodesk's ADP component in Inventor 2020 and the version that is included in PowerMill 2019.1 onwards. We are now working on a PowerMill 2019 update that will have it use a later version of the component that removes this compatibility problem. In the meantime you can take the following steps to allow you to work around the problem to use both Inventor 2020 and PowerMill 2019.1.3 on the same PC:

1. Open Windows Explorer.
  2. Click on the address bar at the top of Windows Explorer and type "%appdata%\Autodesk" (without the quotes) and press the return key.
  3. This will navigate you to the Autodesk application user data storage folder. Be careful what you do in this folder! Changing or deleting files in here could affect the behaviour of Autodesk applications.
  4. Delete the ADPSDK folder.
  5. You should now be able to run PowerMill 2019.1.3.

Thank you again for reporting this to us. Being made aware of this problem early means we can prepare an update to PowerMill 2019 that addresses it before the problem becomes widespread.

Benjamin Brereton
Director, Engineering
Message 28 of 31
ahorwood

well done

Message 29 of 31
scottmoyse

Interesting solution cheers... just out of curiosity, which files in the ADPSDK folder were incorrectly installed/configured by Inventor 2020? But are then setup correctly by running PowerMill 2019.1.3 before Inventor 2020?

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 30 of 31
Benjamin.Br

Sorry, I'm not on the ADP team so I do not have the full details of the problem. But I believe the bug is actually in the version of ADP in PowerMill but dormant. The presence of Inventor 2020 activates the bug. It should not matter whether you run PowerMill or Inventor first after deleting the folder.

Benjamin Brereton
Director, Engineering
Message 31 of 31
scottmoyse

But what's curious is that ALL the files appear to have been recreated with the launch of each application.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report