Community
PowerMill Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s PowerMill Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular PowerMill topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerMill 2019.1.3 Crashing to desktop on Startup

30 REPLIES 30
SOLVED
Message 1 of 31
scottmoyse
22210 Views, 30 Replies

PowerMill 2019.1.3 Crashing to desktop on Startup

I've just installed PowerMill 2019 for the first time on Windows 10... As soon as I launch it... it crashes to desktop with no errors. Check out the video of the issue here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BrqjJeoAdoW/

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Product & Platform Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31
scottmoyse
in reply to: scottmoyse

2019.1.3 was installed as part of the initial installation from the Autodesk Desktop App. It did launch properly for the first time yesterday successfully. After uninstalling the .1.3 update a minute ago (from Windows Programs & Features). Powermill shows it's running 2019.0.0. and launches successfully again. 

2018-12-22_11-02-25.png

When I try to install 2019.1.2, I get the following error, with the attached log file.

2018-12-22_11-00-33.png

Scott Moyse
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 3 of 31
scottmoyse

So Windows Programs & Features didn't uninstall 2019.1.3 correctly. Because when I tried to reapply it, it wanted to uninstall it... I let it do that, and now 2019.1.2 has installed successfully... but I have the same issue with PowerMill crashing to desktop without error. 

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 4 of 31
iamcdn79

What kind of graphics card are you using? Autodesk recommends Nvidia Quadro.

If you are using Nvidia Quadro check to make sure your 3d app settings are set to visual simulation. And also make sure your graphics card driver is up to date.

Capture.PNG

Intel Core i9 13900KF CPU
128 GB Kingston Beast DDR4 SDRAM
PNY RTX A2000 6GB Video Card
WD 1 TB SSD Hard Drive
Windows 11 Pro

Message 5 of 31
scottmoyse
in reply to: iamcdn79

Thanks for the suggestion Andre, I've tried it, but it's made no difference. 

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 6 of 31
scottmoyse

If anyone can stomach it.. I've created a video showing the initial launch or Powermill RTM straight after a clean installation. Followed by launching after 2019.1.3 install... and then uninstalling addins and extras one by one. 

You will see none of the plugins is causing the issue. The issue only resolves when I uninstall the updates.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b7n48xpozmjfgxs/PowerMill%202019%20Crash%20On%20Open.mp4?dl=0 

@justin.ferguson

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 7 of 31
iamcdn79

After you uninstalled the 1.3 update do you get the same crashing with the 1.2 update?

Intel Core i9 13900KF CPU
128 GB Kingston Beast DDR4 SDRAM
PNY RTX A2000 6GB Video Card
WD 1 TB SSD Hard Drive
Windows 11 Pro

Message 8 of 31
scottmoyse

Yes. I can. But only if I uninstall 2019.1.3 by rerunning that installer, removing it in Windows programs and features doesn't remove it properly.

In any case, this crashing issue happens with 2019.1.2 as well.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 9 of 31
scottmoyse

I've noticed that installing 2019.1.3 installs PowerMill Modelling. And uninstalling it removes it.

I launched PowerMill Modelling, it required activation, so I did that, then launched PowerMill again. But it's still crashing on launch.

I've checked language pack folder names.... en-US etc.. its been an issue for other Autodesk products in the past with crashing on launch. But that's all good it seems.

Bit of a segue: Although the install directories for PowerMill are weird. 

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\PowerMill 2019

&

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\PowerMill 2019 Ultimate

with files spread between the two. The latter looks more like setup files than installed program files.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 10 of 31
scottmoyse

@iamcdn79 wrote:

After you uninstalled the 1.3 update do you get the same crashing with the 1.2 update?

Yes. It only works on the RTM build. 2019.0.0

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 11 of 31
scottmoyse

I decided to stop 2019.0.0 from loading plugins on startup. Then install 2019.1.3, and see if it still crashed, assuming that it would respect that setting. It still crashed. So its unlikely that this issue is related to plugins.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 12 of 31
scottmoyse

This is the error I get in Event Viewer with 2019.1.3 installed:

Faulting application name: pmill.exe, version: 20191.24.0.0, time stamp: 0x5c052625
Faulting module name: AdpSDKWrapper.dll, version: 1.0.6.16, time stamp: 0x5ad800c5
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000010796
Faulting process id: 0xb2c8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d49a3142da3b3d
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\PowerMill 2019\sys\exec64\pmill.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\PowerMill 2019\sys\exec64\AdpSDKWrapper.dll
Report Id: e2f1570e-49ad-4060-9e58-d2a0592e33a6
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I've tried replacing that dll with the 2019.0.0 version. Which is file version 1.0.4.6 but it still crashes with the same error in Event Viewer... so it must be related to something that dll does.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 13 of 31
Benjamin.Br

Hello @scottmoys. Sorry for the delayed response, you created this when most of the PowerMill development team have been on holiday. Have you made any progress on this?

Benjamin Brereton
Director, Engineering
Message 14 of 31
elyas.nurgat
in reply to: Benjamin.Br

Try launching the program as an administrator the very first time - 

Right mouse click on the shortcut and select Run as administrator. 

Message 15 of 31
scottmoyse
in reply to: elyas.nurgat

Yes this is still an issue... And of course I've tried launching using Run As Administrator. I'm a tech support guy for an Autodesk reseller, so all the usual things have been tried.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 16 of 31
Benjamin.Br

Hi @scottmoyse. Thanks for the update. I'm looking into it. I hope to be able to come back to you with something soon.

Benjamin Brereton
Director, Engineering
Message 17 of 31
ahorwood
in reply to: Benjamin.Br

Hey scott, you seem to cause trouble everywhere you go.

I had the same issue. My fix was a complete uninstall of powermill then reinstall without updates. worked for me. But you and I have something in common. Beta Inventor. Mine acted up after the 1st run of 2020 IV. How about you? Could that be the problem? 

Aaron Horwood

Message 18 of 31
Benjamin.Br
in reply to: ahorwood

Hi Aaron. Thanks for your input. That's a really useful extra bit of information. The module where the crash is happening for both of you, AdpSDKWrapper.dll, is one that is common to many Autodesk applications. I think that it's a possibility that the presence of a beta version of a 2020 Autodesk application could interfere with the behaviour of that module in other applications.

Benjamin Brereton
Director, Engineering
Message 19 of 31
scottmoyse
in reply to: ahorwood

Hi Aaron

I'm good at breaking stuff. And yes it could be Inventor 2020 beta thats breaking the Powermill updates. Maybe a newer .NET or C++ update is causing conflicts.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 20 of 31
ahorwood

we don't break it, we severe duty beta test it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report