Community
PowerMill Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s PowerMill Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular PowerMill topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macro programming

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
jscott3744
984 Views, 9 Replies

Macro programming

When my IT guy was installing 2017 he lost all ability for me to use macro programs created in 2016. Can't bring in database, can't create any macro toolpaths that i was previously able to do. Why cant i get a technical contact like maybe craig burney in windsor to call me or make a company visit? Seems like this is CWOT , why are paying for a license and not getting support.
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
5axes
in reply to: jscott3744

Even if you can find some minor differences between the 2016 and 2017 macros , There is absolutely no reasons that a macro write for the release 2016 doesn't work in 2017.
The main diffrences are certainly in the directories path or the database location. I personaly doesn't trust the IT people to make an update, they can explain you that they have chose the best WorkStation they have spend a lot of time to evaluate the graphics card, and they "would like to have the same configuration on their personnal PC to play Counter Strike". They simply forget to check the drivers required to work with your CAD/CAM application and they do not understand that a CAM application is not Word, there are configurations to do, to retrieve a postprocessor to use. So no wonder they are unable to successfully install an update.
Macro are a very powerfulll solution to simplify your job but it could be also a problem if you don't know how it works and how to modify them. There are absolutly no insurence that a macro will be compatible in the next release and Delcam/Autodesk doesn't (as any software editor) offer a lot of support on customer customisations. So if you don't have yourself enought competence to solved your problem perhaps it's time to ask a trainning session to your manager on that particular point.

Just my point of View

Cuq

Message 3 of 10
jscott3744
in reply to: 5axes

All the 2016 macros are still in our c drive. Can they just be re added? Also in the powermill explorer view from toolbar, there used to be a macro teach button so we can make new macros; we have lost that ability too.

Sent from my Bell Samsung device over Canada's largest network.
Message 4 of 10
5axes

Did you define in PMILL the path to the macro directory ? That's certainly something basic as this !

Message 5 of 10
cfastM58RS

It sounds like you had your macro's mapped to a custom toolbar and the toolbar is no longer turned on after the update.  Go to view - toolbars - custom toolbars at the bottom, and make sure they are all turned on.

Message 6 of 10
danmic7JH66

We switched from 2016 to 2017 this year and I didn't have any problems with macros not working at all. To me, it sounds like they're not pathed correctly.

Message 7 of 10
jscott3744
in reply to: cfastM58RS

No. Complete waste of time.

Message 8 of 10
jscott3744
in reply to: 5axes

No. C.w.o.t.

Message 9 of 10
stdpattern

To answer the question from your first post, have you contacted your local support?  NA support?  Not sure if the support process has changed, but that should do it.  

Macros, RMB Macro Paths should just let you define where your macros are.

Another possible solution, Macros, RMB record do something simple and stop.  name it something nice.  Find that file and put some of your old macros in that folder.  I think that should work too.  

Good luck

Message 10 of 10
robhuynhj

If you really need the help, I can come to your shop and fix your problem for a fee.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report