Community
PowerMill Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s PowerMill Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular PowerMill topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

import prt from NX11 error

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
GlennM.MCAM
2535 Views, 16 Replies

import prt from NX11 error

Hello,

our company is making the switch from Unigraphics NX8 to NX11.

I've tried to import a prt file that was made in NX11 but I get this error:

PM17-NX11_PRT_error.png

I don't have any problems with prt files from NX8.

Is this a problem with PowerMill or some settings in NX11? If this is a problem in NX11, please give me enough information because I don't work with NX and need to provide this information to the CAD engineers.

Thanks,

Glenn

Intel i7 4790 @ 3.60GHz -16GB RAM - Nvidia Quadro K620 - 250GB SSD - Win 7 Pro x64 SP1
PowerMILL Premium 2019.1 - PowerINSPECT Ultimate OMV 2017 SP6
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
GlennM.MCAM
in reply to: GlennM.MCAM

I just found out that the exchange software only supports files until NX10.

When will this be solved?

Intel i7 4790 @ 3.60GHz -16GB RAM - Nvidia Quadro K620 - 250GB SSD - Win 7 Pro x64 SP1
Message 3 of 17
GlennM.MCAM

@Chetan.Bankar @jonathan.artiss @clinton.perry 

Any idea when it will be possible to import Unigraphics NX11 prt files into PM?

Message 4 of 17
Chetan.Bankar

Hi @GlennM.MCAM,

Please can you let us know which version of PS Exchange you are using? Have you tried importing this in recent released Manufacturing Data Exchange Utility 2017? 

If you are facing problem with the recent release then can you kindly upload some NX 11 prt files to this thread?

Thanks and Regards,

Chetan Bankar
Global Product Support
Submitting & Viewing Support Requests | Web Support | Phone Support
Message 5 of 17
GlennM.MCAM
in reply to: Chetan.Bankar

Hello,

I am using this version:

exchange_version.png

This is the message I've found in the Help:

exchange.png

NX 11 file in attachement.

Glenn

Message 6 of 17
Chetan.Bankar

Hi @GlennM.MCAM,

Thanks for supplying the NX11 file.

I have raised a change request for this and will keep you updated on the progress on this.

Thanks and Regards,

Chetan Bankar
Global Product Support
Submitting & Viewing Support Requests | Web Support | Phone Support
Message 7 of 17

Hi @GlennM.MCAM and thanks for the message. 

We're actively working on a solution to this and hope to provide the ability to import NX11 models into our products in the very near future 😉

Thanks!

Message 8 of 17
GlennM.MCAM
in reply to: clinton.perry

Thank you @clinton.perry!

Is this something that will be implemented in a service pack or a new version (like 2018)?

Glenn

Message 9 of 17
clinton.perry

Hi @GlennM.MCAM - all I am allowed to say right now is that we are hoping to include this functionality in a future release of our products. 

Message 10 of 17
joao.moreira

We have the same problem. We also need to move forward to NX11, but can´t do it until this issue is solved.

We have customers that need CAD projects done with NX11 that we can't say no. If powermill does not support newer NX releases what are we expected to do with our CAM system? NX11 was released on 09/AUG/2016 (we are almost a year later).

Message 11 of 17

We hear you @joao.moreira and we're hoping to have a solution ready for you in the very near future

Message 12 of 17
GlennM.MCAM
in reply to: joao.moreira

As for now I suggest you export your model in NX11 (to use in PowerMill) as a STEP file or PARASOLID.

Message 13 of 17
joao.moreira

Probably it's what we will do. When we moved to Powermill in 2008 (replacing all other CAM software we had) it was a major effort to get our CAD\CAM working together with native CAD file (NX and CATIA), it means this is a step back in our process till NX11 translation is fixed.

Message 14 of 17
GlennM.MCAM

@clinton.perry, can you explain what "only via ATF" means? I found this in the Data Exhange Utility 2018 Help menu.

Capture.PNG

Thank you,

Glenn

Message 15 of 17
clinton.perry

Hi Glenn,

ATF stands for "Autodesk Translation Framework" which is a software extension (plug-in) that aims to simplify data exchange of Autodesk and 3rd party files. I'll dig out some more information about what it is, what it does, and (crucially) how our customers can access it. Once I have more information I'll put it on this thread.

Thanks!

Message 16 of 17

Hi @GlennM.MCAM

To follow up.....ATF does indeed stand for "Autodesk Translation Framework". This is the name for some new Autodesk code that is being introduced into the existing Exchange utility. The code provides support for the newer versions of SolidWorks/NX and Creo (plus others in future). There should be no change to the way you interact with the exchange capabilities within our software tools - it's more of a back-end thing. 

I hope this answers your question Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Message 17 of 17
GlennM.MCAM

Thank you @clinton.perry. I was afraid we needed an extra licence or something familiar in the future.

Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Glenn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report