Community
PowerMill Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s PowerMill Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular PowerMill topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Icon size on 4k Screens

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
engourdi
1997 Views, 12 Replies

Icon size on 4k Screens

I have tried searching for this topic and no useful results come up. I purchased a new Dell M7710 that is pretty decked out. Since I use the laptop for graphic deign, video editing, programming and engineering I figure that getting the 4K screen would be great. Well the 4k screen is great for almost all of the programs except Autodesk products. Specifically PowerMILL and PowerSHAPE. I have yet to figure out how to scale the icons. If it wasn't for 16 years of use the programs would be unusable. 

Any ideas on a fix? Will this issue get fixed in a future build?

Wil

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Yogesh.Mohite
in reply to: engourdi

Hi @engourdi,

Welcome to Autodesk Community.

There is no way to do this at the moment. The only viable work around is to increase the screen DPI to 125%. This is know issue to PowerMill development team and they are working on this issue.

Please accept as solution if my post fully resolves your issue, or reply with additional details if the problem persists.

Thank you.

Yogesh Mohite
Message 3 of 13
engourdi
in reply to: Yogesh.Mohite

Hi Yogesh,

Well it's been a while on this issue now. As of v2018 the icon issue has only slightly improved. This is mainly due to adding the Ribbon to PowerMILL. The icons in the side "tree" has a slight improvement on size, however parts of the forms are not displaying correctly. My DPI size is set to 200% which has zero effect on PowerMILL.

Another thing that would be nice is the option to turn off the Ribbon interface. Maybe something similar to Solidworks. Allow us to get ride of the text and display varying sizes of icons instead.

Thanks,

Wil

Message 4 of 13
jonathan.artiss

@engourdi

Thanks for posting on the Autodesk PowerMill forum,

@engourdi wrote:

Hi Yogesh,

Well it's been a while on this issue now. As of v2018 the icon issue has only slightly improved. This is mainly due to adding the Ribbon to PowerMILL. The icons in the side "tree" has a slight improvement on size, however parts of the forms are not displaying correctly. My DPI size is set to 200% which has zero effect on PowerMILL.

Another thing that would be nice is the option to turn off the Ribbon interface. Maybe something similar to Solidworks. Allow us to get ride of the text and display varying sizes of icons instead.

Thanks,

Wil

You can try to adjust the resolution of the monitor, if you adjust it to a lower res, it should enlarge the icons. 

I know that this is a workaround for now and lowering your resolution from the 4k it is capable of but make it easier for you to work with. 

Cheers,

Jonathan Artiss
Application Engineer
Submitting & Viewing Support Requests | Web Support | Phone Support
Message 5 of 13
cory_marty

This issue is going on 9 months now since it has been mentioned that Autodesk has been working on a solution and and still no correct fix?

Message 6 of 13
NanchenO
in reply to: cory_marty

It seems that Autodesk pushed a maximum to see as many ribbons as possible on our displays, but that they have absolutely no hurry to make them really usable...

Olivier

Message 7 of 13
engourdi
in reply to: NanchenO

The ribbon would be great if it fixed all the issues with 4k. Unfortunately the forms do not display correctly either. The solution suggested to change my screen resolution is poor. It's not like the only software being used on my computer is PowerMILL or PowerSHAPE. I do use many other products concurrently that actually support 4k and have supported the resolution for a while. It's not like 4k is some new technology that was just invented.

Message 8 of 13
cory_marty

Exactly, you would think this would be a major issue as well as a simple issue to fix for a software company as large as Autodesk.

Message 9 of 13
NanchenO
in reply to: cory_marty

PowerMill was a great product, but if the UI does not allow to work hours on it without loosing time or stressing our eyes, it will soon become a dead product !

Olivier

Message 10 of 13
dswansonXSKMB

The workaround I have been using is as follows:

1. Go to the executable that starts powermill in windows explorer (C:\Program Files\Autodesk\PowerMill 2018\sys\exec64\ for me, you can right click on your shortcut and do "open file location" if you need to hunt it down).

2. Right click on executable (pmill.exe), and open "properties"

3. Under "Compatibility" tab in the properties window, check the option "Override high DPI scaling behavior."

4. Under "Scaling performed by:", there is a dropdown. Select "System" from this dropdown.

5. Apply changes

6. Run powermill, icons should be usable size now.

Message 11 of 13
engourdi
in reply to: dswansonXSKMB

dswansonXSKMB

Thanks for the fix. Works great.

Message 12 of 13
idecarli
in reply to: dswansonXSKMB

This worked on Civil 3D 20'17. Thanks!

Message 13 of 13

Yes, it helps to fix icon size issue.

However, "Scaling by System" leads to a new issue. Now you are unable to select any item from PowerMill dropdown menu (i.e. select CS in NC-file parameters, select boundary in toolpath settings).

Hopefully, developers will make PowerMill to support 4K resolution. Nevertheless, PowerMill is a graphical software.

[DELL XPS 15; 3840px x 2160px; GeForce GTX1050]

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report