Community
PowerMill Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s PowerMill Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular PowerMill topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to drill in steps

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
adolfosiYYC5A
432 Views, 1 Reply

How to drill in steps

I really need to make some holes (about 52 holes) on the powermill in 2 steps...   and neds to turn 3 times.. on de same hole diameter...

i´m using the perfil.. and spiral.. but .. i cant make 2 times.. for example in -18  to -19 spiral .... and -40 to -41 with...

i´ve done 2  strategies.. than..  it goes out the hole finishing the 52 holes than come back to make the end of it... 

is there any way to make the holes...  once each hole... 2 diferent deep and making 3 turns on that deep???

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
kamalrajcv
in reply to: adolfosiYYC5A

Yes, it is possible to create a toolpath that can drill the holes in two steps with 3 turns at each depth. Here's how you can do it in PowerMill:

Step 1: Create a Drill Operation

• Create a new drill operation by selecting the "Drill" option from the "New" drop-down menu.
  • Select the tool you want to use for drilling and set the drill parameters such as the diameter, cutting parameters, and drilling depth.

Step 2: Set Up the Hole Pattern

• In the "Hole" tab, select the "Pattern" option and set up the pattern for the 52 holes you need to drill. You can choose from a variety of patterns such as linear, circular, rectangular, etc.
  • In the "Depth" tab, set the drilling depth for the first step. For example, if you want to drill the holes to a depth of 10mm, set the depth to 5mm for the first step.

Step 3: Create the First Drill Path

• In the "Path" tab, select "Spiral" as the path type and set the spiral parameters such as the starting point, the spiral direction, and the pitch.
  • Set the start and end depths to the first drilling depth you want to achieve (e.g., 0mm to 5mm).
  • Select "OK" to create the first drill path.

Step 4: Create the Second Drill Path

• Repeat steps 2 and 3 to create a second drill path with the same hole pattern but with the drilling depth set to the second step (e.g., 5mm to 10mm).
  • Make sure to adjust the spiral starting point so that it starts at the bottom of the hole you drilled in the first step.

Step 5: Verify and Simulate the Toolpath

• Once you have created both drill paths, verify and simulate the toolpath to make sure that the tool will drill the holes as expected.
  • If necessary, adjust the toolpath parameters such as the feed rate, spindle speed, and cutting parameters to optimize the drilling process.

By following these steps, you can create a toolpath that drills the 52 holes in two steps with 3 turns at each depth.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report