Community
PowerMill Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s PowerMill Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular PowerMill topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create .mtd file

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
7048 Views, 10 Replies

How to create .mtd file

Hello! I have just do a machine assembly in SolidWorks and now I'm trying to get assembly in PowerMill.

If I import the machine like a model, it doesn't serve me because I need to simulate the motion of the machine. So I would like to import like a tool machine.

I don't know how to generate a .mtd file.

I've heard some things about notepad++ but I'm not sure if it is necessary for have the assembly in PowerMill.

Tags (2)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
kukelyk
in reply to: Anonymous

It is best to modify some of the existing mtd files of the pmill's example directory. It is an XML file, and the notepad++ helps, if You change the language to XML.

Export the model components to separate dmt's, and link them to Your mtd.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

Hi,

MTD file is not generated but created. It's a file with definition machine parts, e.g. part position, working area, moving vector...

The parts of machine have to had '*.dmt' extension.

You can find a examples in instalation PowerMill folder (...\file\examples\MachineData\)

Mateusz

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

Well, I have some examples in my cpu.

In a folder there are .dmt files and the .mtd file outside.

I've read the text of .mtd file and I don't understand where are the position relationships.

In the example when I import .dmt files one by one, they are positioned correctly. But, if I import my .dmt files one by one, they are positioned incorrectly, without mantein assembly relationships.

To export the model components and generate .dmt file, first I have to import them one by one from SolidWorks?

Thank you for your answers, really help me.

Message 5 of 11
kukelyk

Try exporting assembly to parasolid. Import that to powershape, make a workplane in the table center /pivot point. export components/subassemblies(multiple bodies ) into separate dmt files in the previously created workplane.

Select a machine from the pmill directory, where the machine kinematics is the same.

Link the dmt's into the mtd, replacing the original dmt's.

Change axis limits, and home position.

It is best to move the machine model in SW to the home position before export..

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: kukelyk

"export components/subassemblies(multiple bodies ) into separate dmt files in the previously created workplane."

But how to actually do that? If I go File > Export  I don't see PowerMill there. I'd be very happy with your answer.

Regards,

J.

Message 7 of 11
kukelyk

When exporting from powershape, choose 'unknown' , and after pressing next, choose the .x_t format 

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

Hello

Does any one have a video to describe it?

Could you please upload a video?

I am totaly confused about to link them.

Thanks for your help.

Tags (1)
Message 9 of 11
kukelyk

Take a look at Help/Documentation/MTS user guide.

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

I have looked at them but I could not understand exactly what should I do...could you please send me a short film that shows it?

Thanks for your help .

Regards.

Message 11 of 11
thaont.cnc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report