PowerMill Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s PowerMill Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular PowerMill topics.
This page has been translated for your convenience with an automatic translation service. This is not an official translation and may contain errors and inaccurate translations. Autodesk does not warrant, either expressly or implied, the accuracy, reliability or completeness of the information translated by the machine translation service and will not be liable for damages or losses caused by the trust placed in the translation service. To translate this discussion, select the language.

PowerMill Forum

Post 1 of 10
Accepted Solution

Copy block to other toolpaths

138 Views, 9 Replies
04-12-2017 08:21 AM

Hi Guys,

I am hoping that I am just a noob and there is a better way to copy blocks between toolpaths.

I am reworking a project using imported triangles for my block. I need every toolpath to share this same block. So, I manually updated the block in toolpath '1'. Then, I activate toolpath '2', right click on toolpath '1' and select "recreate block". Rinse and repeat for another 30 toolpaths.

This seems to work, but it's slow and tedious. Is there a better way?

Simple....

Edit the first block that you like...

Click OK to that strategy..

That block is locked to that strategy...

Go to your explorer tree, and shift select all your toolpaths that want the same block...

When they're higlighted, simply right click over the toolpaths, and go to Edit>Set Named Parameters..

Start typing in BLOCK...

Click the accept checkmark when complete...

All toolpaths will share the same block.

Post 2 of 10

Re: Copy block to other toolpaths

04-12-2017 08:43 AM in reply to: tkirschJF49Y

Simple....

Edit the first block that you like...

Click OK to that strategy..

That block is locked to that strategy...

Go to your explorer tree, and shift select all your toolpaths that want the same block...

When they're higlighted, simply right click over the toolpaths, and go to Edit>Set Named Parameters..

Start typing in BLOCK...

Click the accept checkmark when complete...

All toolpaths will share the same block.

Post 3 of 10

04-12-2017 08:45 AM in reply to: Pijetro

wow. I've been using it for years and never knew that trick! I always changed mine with macro, but this sounds way faster!

Post 4 of 10

04-12-2017 08:49 AM in reply to: TK.421

Opens up a whole can of worms for us users who need to do batch edits on the fly...

You can do this with workplanes, boundaries, leads/links, thickness sets, etc....

Basically. Anything with a value or parameter, you can do it..

There's been time when I've caught mistakes, and had to batch change, and batch recalculate..

Powermill gives me the power to get another coffee..

Post 5 of 10

04-12-2017 08:49 AM in reply to: Pijetro

To save this as a right click option create a file called Toolpath.xml in your pmill2 directory. It will also avoid having a dialog box popping up telling you it might invalidate your toolpath and if you want to continue.

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<menupage>

<button
    command='EDIT PAR NOQUERY SELECTED "Block"'
    label="Changes block"
    multiple_selection="allowed"
  />

</menupage>

Corsair 32 GB DDR4 2666 MHz RAM
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
Post 6 of 10

04-12-2017 08:49 AM in reply to: Pijetro

Almost!

So, this kind of works. It wants me to set a specific block parameter. (eg Block.Filename or Block.TriangleData)

The other issue is that I had to import this triangle data and reference a different workplane for it all to work out.

Is there a way to copy the exact block data?

Post 7 of 10

04-12-2017 08:58 AM in reply to: tkirschJF49Y

When you star typing, Powermill recognizes extra values or features within the parent "Block"...You simply override it by clicking into the box, and deleting the "."

When only "Block" shows, the checkmark will appear..

Post 8 of 10

04-12-2017 08:58 AM in reply to: tkirschJF49Y

tkirschJF49Y wrote:

Almost!

So, this kind of works. It wants me to set a specific block parameter. (eg Block.Filename or Block.TriangleData)

The other issue is that I had to import this triangle data and reference a different workplane for it all to work out.

Is there a way to copy the exact block data?

Just need to type Block and click on the green check mark

Corsair 32 GB DDR4 2666 MHz RAM
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
Post 9 of 10

04-12-2017 09:03 AM in reply to: tkirschJF49Y

Without getting into it too much...

SImply create the conditions, in where you want all the active parameters to be current...

Activate all boundaries, blocks, workplanes, featuresets, etc....

Once they're activated, go to the explorer tree, highlight the toolpaths you want changed, Edit>Set named parameter..Choose your poison..Rinse and repeat.

Post 10 of 10

04-12-2017 09:42 AM in reply to: Pijetro

I put several of these on my custom toolbar.  Probably going to add "Connections" because I find myself doing that a lot to copy leads and links.  This still pops up the warning that it will cause recalculation, but that's OK.custom toolbar.JPG

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post