Community
PowerMill Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s PowerMill Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular PowerMill topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy block to other toolpaths

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
tkirschJF49Y
799 Views, 9 Replies

Copy block to other toolpaths

Hi Guys,

I am hoping that I am just a noob and there is a better way to copy blocks between toolpaths.

I am reworking a project using imported triangles for my block. I need every toolpath to share this same block. So, I manually updated the block in toolpath '1'. Then, I activate toolpath '2', right click on toolpath '1' and select "recreate block". Rinse and repeat for another 30 toolpaths.

This seems to work, but it's slow and tedious. Is there a better way?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Pijetro
in reply to: tkirschJF49Y

Simple....

Edit the first block that you like...

Click OK to that strategy..

That block is locked to that strategy...

Go to your explorer tree, and shift select all your toolpaths that want the same block...

When they're higlighted, simply right click over the toolpaths, and go to Edit>Set Named Parameters..

Start typing in BLOCK...

Click the accept checkmark when complete...

All toolpaths will share the same block.

Message 3 of 10
TK.421
in reply to: Pijetro

wow. I've been using it for years and never knew that trick! I always changed mine with macro, but this sounds way faster!

--------------------------------------
the numbers never lie
Message 4 of 10
Pijetro
in reply to: TK.421

Opens up a whole can of worms for us users who need to do batch edits on the fly...

You can do this with workplanes, boundaries, leads/links, thickness sets, etc....

Basically. Anything with a value or parameter, you can do it..

There's been time when I've caught mistakes, and had to batch change, and batch recalculate..

Powermill gives me the power to get another coffee..

Message 5 of 10
iamcdn79

To save this as a right click option create a file called Toolpath.xml in your pmill2 directory. It will also avoid having a dialog box popping up telling you it might invalidate your toolpath and if you want to continue.

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<menupage>

<button
    command='EDIT PAR NOQUERY SELECTED "Block"'
    label="Changes block"
    multiple_selection="allowed"
  />

</menupage>

Intel Core i9 13900KF CPU
128 GB Kingston Beast DDR4 SDRAM
PNY RTX A2000 6GB Video Card
WD 1 TB SSD Hard Drive
Windows 11 Pro

Message 6 of 10
tkirschJF49Y

Almost!

So, this kind of works. It wants me to set a specific block parameter. (eg Block.Filename or Block.TriangleData)

The other issue is that I had to import this triangle data and reference a different workplane for it all to work out.

Is there a way to copy the exact block data?

Message 7 of 10
Pijetro

When you star typing, Powermill recognizes extra values or features within the parent "Block"...You simply override it by clicking into the box, and deleting the "."

When only "Block" shows, the checkmark will appear..

Message 8 of 10
iamcdn79

@tkirschJF49Y wrote:

Almost!

So, this kind of works. It wants me to set a specific block parameter. (eg Block.Filename or Block.TriangleData)

The other issue is that I had to import this triangle data and reference a different workplane for it all to work out.

Is there a way to copy the exact block data?

Just need to type Block and click on the green check mark

Intel Core i9 13900KF CPU
128 GB Kingston Beast DDR4 SDRAM
PNY RTX A2000 6GB Video Card
WD 1 TB SSD Hard Drive
Windows 11 Pro

Message 9 of 10
Pijetro

Without getting into it too much...

SImply create the conditions, in where you want all the active parameters to be current...

Activate all boundaries, blocks, workplanes, featuresets, etc....

Once they're activated, go to the explorer tree, highlight the toolpaths you want changed, Edit>Set named parameter..Choose your poison..Rinse and repeat.

Message 10 of 10
stdpattern

I put several of these on my custom toolbar.  Probably going to add "Connections" because I find myself doing that a lot to copy leads and links.  This still pops up the warning that it will cause recalculation, but that's OK.custom toolbar.JPG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report