Community
PowerMill Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s PowerMill Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular PowerMill topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Hole Drilling and Tapping

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
slejeuneSZHJV
1078 Views, 4 Replies

Auto Hole Drilling and Tapping

I am currently trying to create a macro to do all my counterbored holes and tapped holes with a click of a button. 

Right now the macro (hole_drilling.txt  just change the extension to run it.) searches for the hole color yellow,  (255,255,0) and if it finds that color it goes and creates a hole feature set. If not it Macro Aborts. 

The issue I am having is these parts have multiple of the same holes on them so when it is looping through the feature set it sees each hole individually but the toolpath is applied to all the holes. So the called macros get reran multiple times for each of the holes that match the description.

This is where I was hoping if I put in the  If $tp.name == " "   then I could have it skip over the called macro and move on but not having much luck getting that to work, just not sure how to code this portion.  

Any suggestions are appreciated!    

Thank you

Labels (4)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
cfastNJWK6
in reply to: slejeuneSZHJV

You may want to rethink your approach and dive into Drilling Methods instead.  They are designed to do exactly what you are trying to do with a macro.  When you set the filters on the drilling method, it will group similar holes together.  That way you don't end up with multiple toolpaths being created for identical featuresets.  The drilling methods will also automatically import tools from the currently connected tool database if the tool name in the method matches the tool name in the database.

Message 3 of 5
Ted_W
in reply to: slejeuneSZHJV

When you say multiples of the same holes do you mean that you are getting a feature for the counterbore and a feature for the clearance hole? If this is the case then you need to have "create compound holes" checked which will join all of the relevant hole components together as one.

Message 4 of 5

@cfastNJWK6 

Thank you for your input, I will do some digging in and see what I can figure out with that method. 

@Ted_W 

Please see the attached photo. When it is cycling through this macro each hole gets called back out and the toolpaths get reapplied again (All the _2 toolpaths) . I will changing it to "create compound holes" and see how that works out. 

Thank you

Message 5 of 5

Could you go through the attached video, hope this will help you to sort out the issue. Because one my customer requested the same.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report