Community
PowerMill Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s PowerMill Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular PowerMill topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMD Ryzen 7 vs I7

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
cfastM58RS
5483 Views, 5 Replies

AMD Ryzen 7 vs I7

I was talking to my IT guy at work and we are looking at building a new pc for me to run powermill.  I recently built a new PC for my personal media server and home use and I used a Ryzen 7 1700x and so far I am blown away by the performance.  I brought this up to my IT guy at work and says that he was told by powermill to use only I7 processors.  Can powermill utilize the extra cores in the Ryzen processor? Or is it still better to go with fewer processors at a higher clock speed for powermill?

Thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: cfastM58RS

My understanding is the Powermill in general only utilizes a single core per operation for toolpaths.

I could be wrong.

Message 3 of 6
cfastM58RS
in reply to: Anonymous

That's what I used to think too. I thought that toolpath calculation could only use 4 threads at a time.  But I recently saw someone with a 6 core 12 thread processor calculating a toolpath and it appeared that it was using 9 threads. 

Message 4 of 6
LasseFred

There are some toolpaths in powermill that can calculate on several cores at a time.

I mean that raster toolpath is calculating on all cores...
but! I would advise you to buy a CPU with a larger clockspeed. 

look at this link:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/powermill-forum/powermill-workstation/m-p/8124463

My after-sales tells me that most of the calculations are done with a single core.

my cpu is   INTER XEON GOLD 6128 CPU @ 3.4GHz .

But don't feel that the speed is much better.

I only want to open the strategy table faster.

Message 6 of 6
rafael.sansao
in reply to: jjat-wang

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report