Community
PowerMill Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s PowerMill Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular PowerMill topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4x Toolpath help

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Jonny_H
685 Views, 9 Replies

4x Toolpath help

Not new to PM, but this part is a little out the ordinary for us, eventhough it's a pretty simple part it's giving me a hard time.

I need to create a 4x toolpath to machine the pocket that wraps around the chamfered corner as shown in the attached pictures.

I've tried all kinds of toolpaths, but none are giving me good results. The two that seem to give best results are Swarf Finishing and Pattern Finishing, but with Pattern I'm using the results of the Swarf toolpath to create a pattern which is then use it as a drive curve.

I'm certain there's a simple resolution, but I can't seem to find it.

I've added the 3D file as ZIP if anyone fancies having a look. If you can offer a bit of knowledge I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Jon

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
TK.421
in reply to: Jonny_H

what about a pencil toolpath with lead/lean turned on, and mode set to contact normal? I've done such things for radius surfaces that have sharp corners. or i would also try 2 flat toolpaths and a surface finishing toolpath, again with lead/lean and mode set to contact normal. that way you're able to use flat cutter and get the sharp.

--------------------------------------
the numbers never lie
Message 3 of 10
Jonny_H
in reply to: TK.421

Thanks for the suggestions TK.

The pencil seems to be a reasonable solution, but when I try it the toolpath does calc. Only gives results if the Mode is set to "Vertical" or "PowerMILL 2012 R2"

Breaking the groove up into positional (3+2) toolpaths is a solution, but I'd prefer multiaxis. However, if all else fails that's the way we'll have to go.

What version have you run the pencil solution in? We're still on PMP2015 R2 sp10

Thanks again

Message 4 of 10
TK.421

i may have done that in 2015r2. we update all the time, so i cannot say for sure. what about using a 'towards curve' method from one of the patterns you've created? you could also create a pattern from the corner of the pocket, offset cutter radius and try embedded pattern finish using lead/lean and contact normal; you may need to deselect gouge check on the main part of the form. If i had more time, I'd look at your project. maybe I'll be able to do that later today

i know multiple toolpaths arent optimal, but if this is a one time deal, better to run 2 or 3 of them than waste time trying to get the perfect multiaxis one.let me know what you come up with!

the numbers never lie
Message 5 of 10
TK.421

embedded pattern will work, you just need to offset your curve the cutter radius

Capture.PNG

the numbers never lie
Message 6 of 10
rafael.sansao

Profile finishing?

Profile finishing.JPG

Rafael Sansão

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
Jonny_H

@TK.421 wrote:

embedded pattern will work, you just need to offset your curve the cutter radius

Capture.PNG

I tried this, but offsetting the pattern causes it to flatten, then when I drop it back on the angled surface it is distorted. Also, after offsetting the results weren't as good
Thanks though

Message 8 of 10
Jonny_H
in reply to: rafael.sansao

Profile Finishing! Thanks Rafael, that's the one.

4x_Groove_ProfileFinishing.PNG

Thanks Rafael and TK for your help

Have a great weekend

Message 9 of 10
TK.421

You could "shrink" surfaces in powershape by cutter radius and make pattern off that. I think you can extend surfaces in negative direction?
the numbers never lie
Message 10 of 10
Jonny_H

That'll be something else worth trying, just to know if it works.

Thanks again

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report