Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Sketch Contest

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
michallach81
567 Views, 4 Replies

No Sketch Contest

I CHALLENGE EVERYONE

challenge.gif

to try to recreate this model:

contest.png

Basic Challenge:

There is only one rule to follow, you can't create a sketch.

In attachments, you will find a pdf file with all necessary data. The basic goal is to recreate topology of attached design. There are only a few measurements specified, for any other take whatever suits your taste.

I would like to know how long it will take you. Please tell us your time, and if you take any warmup before. Since there's no prize to win (except a bit of pride and following glory), you don't need to prove any of your results.

HAVE FUN!

Advanced Challenge:

For those who feel confident with their skills and knowledge of Fusion 360, the task is to recreate same design but this time make it parametric within given limits. In attached pdf, on the last page, you will find which measurements should be adjustable and within what range. To build my credibility I've attached also .f3d file with my design. The file is encrypted, and I will post a key when the contest will be over. This time I would like to see some files to prove. The only rule is still the same, you can't create a sketch.

Tap Valve NSC.gif

Background:

Those who are wondering how I came up with this contest. A few weeks ago I was helping a user with a fairly simple design. Most surprising for me was a number of sketches he created. For such design, it would be enough to create two sketches, and five features to create one body. He created 14 sketches, with 18 features, 12 bodies and still couldn't get the desired shape. In my opinion, the main problem he had was a bad design articulation. Because it's very difficult to explain such abstract concept like design articulation I end up, recording short screencast without any explanation. Our friend is no exception, I see that articulation problem very often.

Until I read Ben's (@Beyondforce) thread (http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/design-validate-document/modeling-without-sketching-enjoy/td-p/6781914) I didn't know how to deal with such problem. Now thanks to Ben (I.O.U.), I think an exercise should help everyone challenge our own habits.

If you have any question, ask. Feel free to leave any comments. Let The Best Man Win!

Michał Lach
Designer
co-author
projektowanieproduktow.wordpress.com

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
michallach81
in reply to: michallach81

Deadline: until end of February

Michał Lach
Designer
co-author

Message 3 of 5
michallach81

giphy (2).gif

Michał Lach
Designer
co-author

Message 4 of 5
davebYYPCU

I had to have a go at this,

Was some thinking time spent without Fusion after reading the data sheet,

about 15 hours spent, over couple of days, made one mistake very early, and now it's too much work to change it, for a fun thing,

Learnt a lot, and it became easier as it went along.

Browny. 

Message 5 of 5
michallach81

Congratulation Dave ( @davebYYPCU) !!!

conf1.gif

For those who would like to check my file, the password to extract archive is donat.

Michał Lach
Designer
co-author

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report