Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Method for creating Wood material in Fusion

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
anavaidya
14240 Views, 11 Replies

Method for creating Wood material in Fusion

Here is a method to setup wood material in Fusion. In order to do this, you will have to create and assign seperate materials to different faces of the wood. For example, let's take a look at this wooden block.

wood_block_2.png

1. In order to begin, you will need textures (or pictures) of different wood cuts - the face, the edge and the end.

2. In Fusion, create a new material by duplicating an existing one.

3. Double-click on the material, go to Advanced. Under Parameters, go to Image and assign the texture.

4. Click on the image, and adjust Scale and Position. Set scale Sample Size (width and height) to the actual size of the face. Set the Offset component under Position so that it is half of the scale sample size. This way the texture image fits exactly on the face of the model.

5. Add a bump map image under Relief pattern (Bump) or assign the same image here. You can also assign a roughness texture.

6. Using this method, set up separate materials for the face, edge and end. Now assign these materials to each face of the model.

Fusion_texture_settings.PNG

If you have several pieces of wood, you might have to change the Offset and Rotation component on the end grain, so that you get some variation and the pieces look a little different from each other. 

Aradhana Vaidya
Customer Success Engineer, Rendering & Visualization
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
MichaelAubry
in reply to: anavaidya

[EDIT 2/3/2017]

Hey All,

This thread is out of date! You can certainly still make custom mapped textures for wood, BUT I highly recommend you try out our "Solid Wood" appearances first!

The grains are held across model faces. It behaves and looks very much like the real stuff.  Within Fusion just right click and you'll see an option for appearances.  Check out the Solid Wood Folder.

Here's the type of stuff you can do:

ClimbOn.jpgthos3.jpgwoodCAMExample.jpgMightyRoock.png

Very Best,

Mike

Michael Aubry
Autodesk Fusion 360 Evangelist
Message 3 of 12
skubie
in reply to: MichaelAubry

@MichaelAubry

Link doesn't work Smiley Surprised

Message 4 of 12
MichaelAubry
in reply to: skubie

That video is out of date anyway. Thank's for the heads up. We added "Solid Wood" a few years ago which is AWESOME.  Just look in your appearances in Fusion:solidwood.jpgChessSet v10.png

Michael Aubry
Autodesk Fusion 360 Evangelist
Message 5 of 12
skubie

Cool. I'm curious as to how one would go about adding a plywood type of material.
Message 6 of 12
onno.fridrich

Great, thank you!

Best regards,

Onno

Message 7 of 12
anders9M5KV

Mike, I am currently using the Solid Wood materials but I cannot find birch. Guess the ClimbOn.jpg is made with pine? Is there any plans to include birch soon?

Regards,

Anders

Message 8 of 12
Solomon.Siegel

How do I rotate the painted wood textures?

Message 9 of 12

@Solomon.Siegel wrote:

How do I rotate the painted wood textures?

Right click on the body/componet you assigned the solid wood texture to and select Texture map controls. The rest should be self explanatory 😉

Peter Doering
Message 10 of 12
daveF3893

and it's now 2018 and there's STILL no plywood in the F360 materials list.

Message 11 of 12
pedro_m78
in reply to: daveF3893

since 2015.... must be really hard Smiley LOL

Message 12 of 12
it
Participant
in reply to: daveF3893

Yes, I agree!

It makes my work very hard, that there is no plywood appearance

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report