Point Layout Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Point Layout Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Point Layout topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected Behavior when Renumbering Points

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
smbrennan
360 Views, 6 Replies

Unexpected Behavior when Renumbering Points

Okay, @s.hamel this one is unusual and I would go as far as to say this is an undiscovered bug.

Let me first explain the setup:

Trapeze Family has nested GTP Point families at the top of the rod.

Some instances of trapezes have different rod heights for the two rods (one rod is going to the deck, another is going to building steel).

I'm renumbering from a view that is set to only see the GTP Points that are going to the deck. Renumber is successful. 

When I export, there are duplicates. So I dive deeper to investigate and see that the families that have different rod heights, the renumbered point is the one that is NOT visible. The visible point remains unchanged (before this, I had all point numbers for both rods set to 1). 

I've triple checked the associated mappings within the trapeze family and all 3 parameters (PointRole, PointNumber, PointElement) are consistently mapped to their respective parameter (GTP_PointRole_X, GTP_PointNumber_X, GTP_PointElement_X, where X is either 0 or 1, assigned respectively to each rod).

If I renumber from a view that displays both GTP points, then it renumbers as expected. 

Currently using Revit 2022.1.6 and APL 2024

Shawn B.

|   
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
s.hamel
in reply to: smbrennan

So default behaviour is to only consider points visible within the view you are working with for almost all functions, and I expect this is what is causing the problem.  Try this to see if that is what is causing this problem.  In Settings, on the Revit Tab, is an option for "Search Linked Revit Models for Points", turning it on has a side effect of disabling it from only working with points in your current view (Which you will get a warning about).  Turn it on then do your renumber again from your original view and see if that results in no duplicates.  If so, then perhaps I should make it an explicit option during the renumber function.

Thanks,

Shayne Hamel
Manager, Principal Software Engineering
Message 3 of 7
smbrennan

Thanks for the prompt reply @s.hamel 

I followed the instructions, but when got to the renumber, after the dialog for choosing my starting number, the error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." displayed, and I can only cancel the operation. 

I am a little confused by your statement that the default behavior is to only consider points. My confusion is that my view, is configured to only renumber the points visible. But, it's renumbering the points that are NOT visible in the view, and leaving the visible ones alone.

Shawn B.

|   
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 4 of 7
s.hamel

Ahh, yeah early morning brain fog 🙂

And now I have two things to try and reproduce.  I will circle back on this later today.

Thanks,

Shayne Hamel
Message 5 of 7
smbrennan

@s.hamel were you able to reproduce this issue and/or offer any suggestions? I was able to get through the immediate need, but the end result was less than ideal due to renumbering in the view that contained all points, but exporting only points necessary, so there are "gaps" in the numbering sequence. 

Shawn B.

|   
Message 6 of 7
s.hamel

I have not, ran out of time for it yesterday and today, it is still on my radar though.

Thanks,

Shayne Hamel
Message 7 of 7
s.hamel

Shawn, I just tried to reproduce this on my side and was not able to.  Would you be able to PM me a link to grab your model and try it (Or preferrably a very cut down and detached version of it).

Thanks,

Shayne Hamel

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report