Point Layout Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Point Layout Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Point Layout topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sibling Point Numbers. (2950, 2950.1, 2950.2)

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
mdhutchinson
486 Views, 4 Replies

Sibling Point Numbers. (2950, 2950.1, 2950.2)

For Hangers on the AutoCAD side... we use APL feature to 'Skip item if this Property Set Field is TRUE' to prevent APL adding points automatically in a few cases. Then we have internal program code to add sibling point numbers on Trapeze hangers.

I had spoken with you long time ago about possibility of having APL provide sibling points on trapeze... Was wondering if this might be looked at as a future feature? (try that 3 times fast).

But aside from this... is there a suggestion on how we might provide for sibling point numbers on rod 2nd & 3rd of a trapeze coming out of Revit?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
s.hamel
in reply to: mdhutchinson

Hey Mike, good to hear from you. I believe I covered the ACAD side for you by adding the PointObject attribute last update, this records the object id of what the point was added to, which your internal program could then use to determine if it was part of the same group/block/object as the other points being modified? Take a look at that and let me know.

On the Revit side, their is no concept of sibling points like their is for ACAD. For points that are added into a family, such as a trapeze hanger, I could add this as a setting/option if the interest is there.

Thanks,
Shayne

Shayne Hamel
Manager, Principal Software Engineering
Message 3 of 5
mdhutchinson
in reply to: s.hamel

I for one would vote for it (sibling points in Revit APL). 

Message 4 of 5
aaron.krovance
in reply to: s.hamel

I would be all for it as well! 

Is there a white paper out there for best practices on embedding APL points into families and mapping parameters back into the project?

Message 5 of 5
s.hamel
in reply to: aaron.krovance

No white paper unfortunately, however the process is fairly simple, and unless you are looking for something outside the norm, parameter mapping is all handled automatically in regards to point number, description, role, etc.

Main things to keep in mind are the following:
If the family can move or change size, be sure to lock the various XYZ lines to either reference planes or geometry, for instance a pile cap you would have a point on each corner align and lock a point to each of the corners.
You want to use the Cleanup family tool if you delete points out of the family.
If doing nesting, ie adding a family with APL points into another family, you will want to press the Setup Nesting button after you insert the host family. As long as you use that button at each level you insert into, you could nest as deeply as you wanted.
After adding points into a family and loading that family into your project, the instances existing or that you create moving forward will not have points immediately, they will be added when you trigger a function that needs the points to be numbered, e.g. Export, Import, Manage.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Shayne

Shayne Hamel
Manager, Principal Software Engineering

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report